Good all round detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Narrawa said:
With The MXT and the GMT they are VCO based so they do Not Need A Volume Control because the stronger the signal the Louder the it responds,
Just as an example.......
Im not in the habit of over-gaining the detector in order to here targets on ground that calls for low gain employment. And with VLFs, this is easily done in OZ.

There are many makes and models using VCO audio...and many of these other makes and models...including other Whites machines have basic volume controls..... my V3I has three separate gain controls allowing me iron audio + volume and various other audio functions. Other Whites machines have separate gain controls and volume controls allowing the operator to adjust both gain and volume separately.
Whits has had many attempts at bettering the MXT model which is a brilliant machine....sadly they have not implemented this basic functionality in one of their most popular models.

Other makes and models also use the same gain regime as that which is found on the MXT/GMT...yet they saw the need to not combo the pots and gave the end user some basic volume adjustment.? So how many volume controls does a machine need you ask.?...Just one thats independent would have been a nice feature to a very popular make/model.....the All pro is what?.....Whites 3rd attempt to better this model.?
My partner uses her MXT round me a lot, and the noise from it is mind blowing to the point i tell her she is better off using one of the other detectors, just so i dont have to listen to it. :D

Whilst there are fors and against positive GBing, the primary function is to zero the ground in order to make targets stand out above that of the ground signal. Lifting the coil above the ground is no different to turning down the gain. Your better off GBing to zero and keeping the gain as high as the ground will allow...each to there own on that one. However, having the ability to override the electronics on units that dont always get it right is a plus.

.....which Proves that Manual GB is of no real Benefit, and such things are more of a Matter of WANT than NEED, A GP/GPX does not need it and they are the Best Gold prospecting Machines ever Produced and the GP/GPX have a Grab Type Button Called (Quick Track).
As for the GPX series having a grab button...no such thing...it does not grab the ground like that of the VLFs that employ it....as the user of a 4500 since it came out, perhaps you should do a little reading on how the Quick Track actually works...both in Fixed and Tracking.
Pge 22-24 of the PDF formate...not the actual page in the owners manual...which is 38-42.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/3965/4901-0063-1.1 Instruction Manual GPX-4500_screen.pdf

First Off Narrawa, Let me say that You are Great at thrashing out the Virtue's of these Machines and I am really enjoying pulling apart the Pros and Cons of these Machines with you. So Thanks for That.

Second,, you are A Brave Man Going Toe to Toe with the V3i,, I have always wanted One, But with my short Fuse it would become A Tree Ornament, So You have my Respect there Too ;)

When I got my first MXT I thought what the hell have I done My Minelab use to sing too me, And this One was Like dropping Granny off at A Heavy Metal Concert, My brains were fried Just like it got to you,

Then after about a week I worked it on and suddenly I was finding Gold, Silver and Ancient Bronze Coins and then it all made sense and I have never looked back,

As for the Quick Track Button its been 7 or 8 years since I last used my GP so forgive me if my memory is lacking, In the end I sold it for about 12-1300 Dollars, Not the Brightest thing I ever did. I will check out that Link so Thanks for that.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
That's a shame' about the F19's audio as I thought it was rather smart being able to drop the volume of ferris targets and maintain crisp non ferris signals, I guess I don't like hearing all the other racket VLF's make (hot rocks' ion etc).

you cant exactly use the volume as a volume control more like a bunch of pre programmed settings and you really need to go back to the users manual to get to know what the settings do' (there is a setting for most moods/occasions).

I find everything about the machine exciting and pick up a different trick or notice new things each time I'm out, shame about the small loss of depth tho a larger coil would cover that, a little depth loss is made up with the extream target separation speed with the STD coil.
A lot of poor results and complaints on the F19 when users could only speak highly about the GBPro?

The F19 is a GBPro with a few added features it is an upgrade if you want those features, otherwise it's no upgrade at all.
Dont get me wrong, it is still a top little machine, its just disappointing they could not fix such simple basic functionality. And its certainly got the recovery speed needed for unmasking. Yet i found it no better than others im using, and it could have had the disc/AM switch altered so that it was more an on the fly change over.
If they thought it out a little better, they could have made it a little like the 705 with threshold based disc....giving you a blanking on iron when you start upping the except/reject....other than that...threshold based disc in my opinion serves no purpose. By doing this it would have been left with a normal full range volume control. But...i guess if they added all the things to make it better...it would not be an upgraded GBPro....it wouldn't be far off their top of the range unit.

Have you checked out the pin-point volume while using iron audio.... :eek: ...its enough to wake the dead.

bhogg said:
Thanks John

Can i ask what MXT your using is it the MXT All Pro? and if so do you know how heavy it is? and are there any things eg a harness or anything to help take some of the weight as it looks like a solid machine made from metal unlike most these days. And is their plenty of info on best settings and also ID numbers for coins here in OZ.

Cheers Thanks so much for your help
Ridge Runner said:
bhogg said:
Hi Everyone

Looking at buying an all round metal detector, Must be able to detect both small gold and park coins and around $1500 tops. Have been looking at these, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19 and the Teknetics G2+LTD. Something pretty simple to use!! any thoughts and ideas from people that use know and use a detector only comment please as i'm wanting first hand info.

Thanks Everyone

You Would be Better off with The MXT All Pro, ONE it has the Best Tracking System in the Business and TWO there are Over 15 Coils made for it, It has A Hot Relic and Prospecting Mode.
It also has a Discriminating All Metal Mode, Along with A 3rd Tone which Adds up to 45% more Depth, The third tone system is a whole new topic in its self.

The T2 is very limited regarding Coils Because it Can Not use Concentric Coils, The Racer is Very Good but because it is very New and because of that it is unproven, Along with there is only A few coils on the market for it, The F19 Lacks the Horse Power.

Hope this Helps,, John.

I am Using the All Pro and the weight is 4.3 pounds according to the Manual, it sounds a lot but it is A very well balanced Machine and I have serious health Issue's and I have used them 10 /12 hours a Day, sometimes Longer, 7 Days A Week.

They are Very Solid Being Made of Aluminium and the Box and the Meter have weather seals to keep water out, But I never use them without Covers on them, As I link to keep my machines looking Like the Day they were made, I have Many Links that I can give you when you are ready,

The Thing I like about the MXT is that I can get on and Detect as opposed to having to search through menus and the Adjustments are done in seconds and I never have to worry if I have the right setting, Because I go out Detecting to Detect not spend my time trying to fine Tune The Machine, The Reason Being is sometimes A Person only has a Couple of hours to go detecting and having to Adjust Programs can soon chew into that,

machines Like the V3i and the Etrac's etc are for those who enjoy the maximum input on how A machine operates and is not for the Faint Hearted,

To me the fun is the Bleep and the find, But Most of All Good Company and A great Day Out.

hope this Helps,, John

Sounds Great "Ridge Runner"

Thanks John!!
It sounds like a good machine then and yes if it's that easy to use even better, You say turn on and go? are these your saved setting your talking about? or preset setting?
Yes id love those LINKS when you have the time to gather them for me, they'd be greatly appreciated thanks. And are there any youtube vids that you might suggest to watch over other one's on there for the best informative and useful info to know?

Thanks once again John
Cheers Mate

All good Ridge Runner,
Id hate to think folks looked upon my posts as being an MXT hatter....if that was the case, i would not have one in my arsenal. :D I enjoy my Whites models, and they are the top of the range for their category. However, times are changing and other manufactures are pushing the boundaries.

One thing i have learned about carrying so many detectors is......you tend to call on each and everyone looking to out do the one you chose to use that day. A word of warning for those who chose to add more than they really need to their kits is...dont!! There is only so many hrs in a day, and when you do actually start favoring one over the others, you'll always be reminded of the function one of the other makes/models has that is not present on your preferred unit. You don't need to own multiple units in order to get the best unit for your $$....you can learn from the thousands of people already using the make/model your interested in.

As for taking on the v3i, i had to knowing id get bored with other makes/models with lesser features. Yet, it is not the alpha & omega of makes and models....and is well over due for an upgrade. Yet im finding it hard to make a decision whether to keep it or not.? There are days when all i want to do is dig....and days where id like to carry a few for the purpose of testing one on one over undug targets. Its a rut thats hard to escape.
The v3i certainly has the functionality to keep you busy, and its ability to teach you things never ends.

RR, looking back at the way i pulled you up on the Quick Track of the GPX models, it does come off a little rude.... my intent was only to clarify. Please accept my apology for not wording it with better care.

bhogg said:

Thanks John!!
It sounds like a good machine then and yes if it's that easy to use even better, You say turn on and go? are these your saved setting your talking about? or preset setting?
Yes id love those LINKS when you have the time to gather them for me, they'd be greatly appreciated thanks. And are there any youtube vids that you might suggest to watch over other one's on there for the best informative and useful info to know?

Thanks once again John
Cheers Mate

I have just sent you A message/email Ok,

John

I guess the amount of VLF machines out and about today' some people learn the machine they have' others are always looking for the something missing, most of us (me included) never find it and I guess enjoy trying to work out a new machine.
Even tho I took a bit of a dive buying the F19 with the little info around about' it's proving to be a smart little machine and I do feel it would give a new detectorist a pretty good go at all things detecting.

In all metal gain turned flat out it air tested my .1gram nugget @ 5" depending on the ground and how high you could run the gain in the area it's still going to pick the .1g up atleast 3", that's catching up with the TDI pro...

It will also still pick up a 0.05g but in Australian soil probably not over the other noises I'd probably swing over it, if I had the 5"DD I'd say yes.

Volume settings go up to 20 but 1 to 9 is basically your volume up and down after that you start altering the volume levels between Ferris and non ferris.

Yeah' "pin point" I think is to let everyone within 200m know that you have a target, where it is and found with a cool camo detector' could be a marketing strategy? It does make everyone look and dogs howl etc. :D

Narrawa said:
All good Ridge Runner,
Id hate to think folks looked upon my posts as being an MXT hatter....if that was the case, i would not have one in my arsenal. :D I enjoy my Whites models, and they are the top of the range for their category. However, times are changing and other manufactures are pushing the boundaries.

One thing i have learned about carrying so many detectors is......you tend to call on each and everyone looking to out do the one you chose to use that day. A word of warning for those who chose to add more than they really need to their kits is...dont!! There is only so many hrs in a day, and when you do actually start favoring one over the others, you'll always be reminded of the function one of the other makes/models has that is not present on your preferred unit. You don't need to own multiple units in order to get the best unit for your $$....you can learn from the thousands of people already using the make/model your interested in.

As for taking on the v3i, i had to knowing id get bored with other makes/models with lesser features. Yet, it is not the alpha & omega of makes and models....and is well over due for an upgrade. Yet im finding it hard to make a decision whether to keep it or not.? There are days when all i want to do is dig....and days where id like to carry a few for the purpose of testing one on one over undug targets. Its a rut thats hard to escape.
The v3i certainly has the functionality to keep you busy, and its ability to teach you things never ends.

RR, looking back at the way i pulled you up on the Quick Track of the GPX models, it does come off a little rude.... my intent was only to clarify. Please accept my apology for not wording it with better care.

No Mate Not A problem, I like it when people can share their views and keep the Topic Fresh,

That's wise about people Adding more than they really need, I have over bought when I just wanted to Beep and Dig and I made a rod for my own back,, I have found that Machines Like the V3i are well suited to people who handle computers like falling off a log or have good knowledge of electronics, With the MXT there are A couple of things that could of been named better IE the GND meter and the Gain because it is more like a Volume control,

Machines Like The V3i has everything that can be adjusted, If you want a Machine to Match that Adjustability Have A Look At the Whites Eagle II SL 90, they run at around 7.5khz but they come with 2 manuals that can be found at Whites, they have an AIR Balance and a Ground Balance and then you get to adjust everything known to man, A Friend has one and they run on 4 X C cells and it has the same size Box as the TDI Pro, As far as Brain work is involved it will give the V3i A run for the money,

I think you should keep it for a while longer because Whites have not released any up grades since turning V3's into V3i's and seeing as the V series was the first up-dateable detector I think that instead of bringing out a new machine in The Top Class machines it would be easier and Cheaper for them to add A new software format to keep it up to date, The Thing is you know the Machine and it is A pity you have not had the Chance to run it In Normal Ground because with the Right Coil it has the Power to knock the TDI of it's perch, So don't right it off just yet because I don't think The V3i is done yet.

John

Zuke_Lynzy said:
I guess the amount of VLF machines out and about today' some people learn the machine they have' others are always looking for the something missing, most of us (me included) never find it and I guess enjoy trying to work out a new machine.
Even tho I took a bit of a dive buying the F19 with the little info around about' it's proving to be a smart little machine and I do feel it would give a new detectorist a pretty good go at all things detecting.

In all metal gain turned flat out it air tested my .1gram nugget @ 5" depending on the ground and how high you could run the gain in the area it's still going to pick the .1g up atleast 3", that's catching up with the TDI pro...

It will also still pick up a 0.05g but in Australian soil probably not over the other noises I'd probably swing over it, if I had the 5"DD I'd say yes.

Volume settings go up to 20 but 1 to 9 is basically your volume up and down after that you start altering the volume levels between Ferris and non ferris.

Yeah' "pin point" I think is to let everyone within 200m know that you have a target, where it is and found with a cool camo detector' could be a marketing strategy? It does make everyone look and dogs howl etc. :D

The Gold Bug Pro although it is not A power machine it Does have some pretty good tricks up it's sleeve,, If Gold is Shallow and you are in Junk filled Sites then That is one of the Cleverest Machines out there and with that 5" coil it is the Only one out of All of the machines I Tested that could do a certain Test with A 6mm 3000 year old Gold Coin,

Luke !! If you cant get any Bits for what ever just give me A call and I will Dig em out for ya,, Theres no point in you struggling when I have the best chance of finding them, Ok.

John

Yes i was hoping that Whites would bring out an upgrade to the V3i, because if i did sell it....and they did bring an up date out...id only have to buy another one...and at todys prices.....yeah well. :mad:

No im not interested in anymore detectors that take up so much brain power...the v3i is it for me. :|
I have thought of trying one of these Dues detectors out, or possible trying my hand at the 3030, however having a 3030 on hand every day of the week....iv not been able to convince my self i need, or even want one. So that only leaves the Dues to impress me...and from what iv seen on youtube thus far.....the upgraded v3i may well be worth waiting for. :lol:

Thanks Ridge Runner

Looks like some great info on there you have shared! good stuff mate. Is the relic settings on there that you stated is that your settings that you use for "coin" hunting in parks ect? And dose the machine remember your setting you use every time on startup?

Cheers Mate
Ridge Runner said:
bhogg said:

Thanks John!!

Thanks once again John
Cheers Mate

I have just sent you A message/email Ok,

John

Yes they are the settings I use, but if I am near an area with gold in it I drop the Disc from 2.8-2.9 down to 2 because if gold is Iron stained then the machine will tell you it is junk when it is Not, and I use the Relic Mode 95% of the Time and I use the prospecting mode when I am searching for gold only, But unlike 95% of Machines out there the MXT has a Mixed Mode Audio where it will also tell you if an Item is junk and even in the prospecting mode,

I hope this helps,

john

Thanks John

And if you have or come across any other useful links or info please send it my way it'll be greatly appreciated, and hopefully i'll know a lot about it before it's in my hands, hopefully find a good as new used one or a new one with the next month.

Thanks once again mate.
Ridge Runner said:
Yes they are the settings I use, but if I am near an area with gold in it I drop the Disc from 2.8-2.9 down to 2 because if gold is Iron stained then the machine will tell you it is junk when it is Not, and I use the Relic Mode 95% of the Time and I use the prospecting mode when I am searching for gold only, But unlike 95% of Machines out there the MXT has a Mixed Mode Audio where it will also tell you if an Item is junk and even in the prospecting mode,

I hope this helps,

john

bhogg said:
Thanks John

And if you have or come across any other useful links or info please send it my way it'll be greatly appreciated, and hopefully i'll know a lot about it before it's in my hands, hopefully find a good as new used one or a new one with the next month.

Thanks once again mate.
Ridge Runner said:

I hope this helps,

john

I have sent you another email which should Fast Track you to most of what you need to Know, If I can help just call.

John.

Narrawa said:
Yes i was hoping that Whites would bring out an upgrade to the V3i, because if i did sell it....and they did bring an up date out...id only have to buy another one...and at todys prices.....yeah well. :mad:

No im not interested in anymore detectors that take up so much brain power...the v3i is it for me. :|
I have thought of trying one of these Dues detectors out, or possible trying my hand at the 3030, however having a 3030 on hand every day of the week....iv not been able to convince my self i need, or even want one. So that only leaves the Dues to impress me...and from what iv seen on youtube thus far.....the upgraded v3i may well be worth waiting for. :lol:

At the time of the V3's Release there was a lot of talk about them doing upgrades And the way it was put across by many was that The V3/V3i were future proof because all they had to do was release new updates, So Fingers crossed hopefully they will stick to that, But they have been very Quiet for a while now, So maybe hopefully something is around the corner.

Yeah I know what you mean about machines like that SL 90, My Brain goes into Over Load.

John

Narrawa said:
Heres what im using ATM...RACER Pro...Nokta FG Pro..Whites MXT..GMT and the Whites V3I along with the Fisher F19.

You said you wanted something simple....none of these beet the RACER for simplicity....and it aint no toy.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12063

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11285

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11147

The RACER Pro comes with 2 coils...11x7 general purpose best all rounder coil. These coils are now sold on many makes and models for park/beach/relic/prospecting...top performers. It also comes with a 5x4.5"sniper coil for the unmasker/gold sniper. The STD version just comes with the 11x7 coil. The 15x13"and 10x5"are optional coils.

The Fors models in the Pro version come with all three coils....and its possible a 10x5"coil is in the making as we speak.

Check out the links above.....no probs on our gold fields grounds, and from the many youtubes...no probs on the beach either.

And yes, i do use them on a regular basis which is most weekends up at Hill End NSW and a few other places.

G'day Mate, I was just going back over this Thread and a few Others and A few times you have said that you were thinking about saying bye bye to the V3i, Well If you do I just though that there is only 1 machine you are missing out of all the Hot VLF's and then you would Own Every Hot Machine there is and that is the Latest F75, yes / No.

Please Don't tell ya Mrs I said that, coz when I get Thumped it Brings me out in Cuts and Bruses, :eek: :eek: :eek:

John

Narrawa said:
Its crossed my mind on more than one occasion i will admit yes.... :D

But????

More Than Once?? Never,lol

Me Too,

There Is safety In Numbers, I think we should Both get One, :D :D :D

Latest posts