Good all round detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has no real WoW factor once you've used/owned the v3i.... :lol:
You get one, and convince me. ;)

Narrawa said:
It has no real WoW factor once you've used/owned the v3i.... :lol:
You get one, and convince me. ;)

Yeah I know what you mean,

they had one at my mates Major Dealers Store with the 18x15 SEF coil on it And My MXT Pro Smoked it with the 12" concentric I lost a bit of the desire to buy it,,

I still got the Urge for A V3i But I just Ordered the Whites TM 808 Two Box Locator, That Puppy goes down 25 feet,, I got an extra Long Shovel just for you, :D :D

I would look at buying the whites mxt pro.

Its a proven platform and Whites make
Great detectors.

Dean at Goldsearch Australia is awesome
To deal with. Better still if you are in vic
He may hire one out to you and you can take
It for a test.

The other option is buying a 2nd hand unit
overseas and Importing which is what I do.

Good luck with your purchase.

Narrawa said:
Heres what im using ATM...RACER Pro...Nokta FG Pro..Whites MXT..GMT and the Whites V3I along with the Fisher F19.

You said you wanted something simple....none of these beet the RACER for simplicity....and it aint no toy.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12063

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11285

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11147

The RACER Pro comes with 2 coils...11x7 general purpose best all rounder coil. These coils are now sold on many makes and models for park/beach/relic/prospecting...top performers. It also comes with a 5x4.5"sniper coil for the unmasker/gold sniper. The STD version just comes with the 11x7 coil. The 15x13"and 10x5"are optional coils.

The Fors models in the Pro version come with all three coils....and its possible a 10x5"coil is in the making as we speak.

Check out the links above.....no probs on our gold fields grounds, and from the many youtubes...no probs on the beach either.

And yes, i do use them on a regular basis which is most weekends up at Hill End NSW and a few other places.

Hi Narrawa

Hi mate just wondering how the Fors machine is going? And have you found any gold with it yet? I love the look of the machine I guess it looks a bit like a ML PI detector, very interested in seeing/hearing what you've found with it.

Cheers mate

Hi Peeps,
Been looking at buying either a sdc2300 or xp deus or Garrett atx..... I've read so many blogs I'm all blogged out lol
Any guidance is welcomed I'm also going to buy a cheaper second unit for the financial controller because she will want to comb the beaches.... So recommendations on the second unit as well.... Budget is approx $4000
Thanks Andy

This is as always a hard question to answer in respects to having a dual purpose detector for both gold & coin/relic detecting. I think you will find the ideal result would be to own separate detectors for both types of detecting - Pulse induction for gold/beach, and VLF/multi-frequency for parks and beach.

Probably the most cost effective option is to do away with buying an SDC2300 and just hire one when required. This will free up cash for a couple of high end treasure detector for yourself and the missus, plus all the gear to go with them ( digging tools, finds pouches, pinpointers, and a pair of decent beach scoops etc etc). Personally I don't see the sense in having a $3600 gold detector sitting in the garage for most of the year when it isn't your primary type of detecting. Also by hiring an SDC, you will get an idea on whether you enjoy the prospecting or not, and if it doesn't work out, you are not left with a detector to sell to recoup costs. :)

Thanks Goldpick,
Sounds like a good plan I agree it's a lot of money if I don't get the use and hiring makes lots of sense.

Ok let's work on that has my purchasing decision plan, can you recommend which machines you would choose based on your experience.
Appreciate the advice so many options it becomes overwhelming glad I stumbled across this forum.
Cheers Andy

If it were me getting into the hobby with a $4k budget id get the ctx3030 all round great on relics coins and above 1 gram buts of gold. But theres heaps of good brands coming out now as Goldpick has said maybe hire an sdc for the day if you like scratching around in the dirt get one try beach if you like that theres a whole other range of detectors

For the record I sell these.

If you got a Deus with headphones, you could buy a second stem and coil and have 2 Killer treasure detectors with the ability to run the goldfield program on both. You can also adjust all the expert settings with the remote and they will automatically be applied to the headphones.

2 Detectors 1 Running on Remote, 1 running on headphones and the total cost would be around 3k.

With a weight of well under a kilo both yourself and Financial controller can swing all day and you both have very powerful machines that will grow with you.

As they both have the same power and functions you will never be accused of "Giving me the crap one".

Cheers

Clegy

i bumped into another guy on the beach a little while back now and he had a deus - he showed me the weight and oh my god was it light - he was an old bloke and said if he had to use my detector he would only be able to swing for about 15 minutes

those are designed to pick up the tiniest whisker of a firing pin, no discrimination to my knowledge basically dig everything

As a single frequency VLF detector Makro Racer have filled most of my metal detecting needs from the ocean water edge to our Gold fields and the finds value have exceded the purchase price.

Guess the pleasure of using it is a bonus. :)

Well that's a great bunch a recommendations I like clegy's thoughts and makes sense..... I appreciate all your ideas I'll do some more research and let you know what the final outcome will be..... Actually thought of getting her in doors one from Aldi lol cheers Andy

Yeah get a machine with a good discriminator first, and then if you want to search for gold either concentrate on the trashy areas in the goldfields, or hire an SDC.
For the bucks, it's hard to beat a Nokta Fors CoRe as a good all rounder. If you don't intend to do Saltwater beaches, then go the Fors Gold +. Two coils and better capability on gold. I've been finding plenty of coins with my sample unit.

Lambo3534 said:
Thanks Goldpick,
Sounds like a good plan I agree it's a lot of money if I don't get the use and hiring makes lots of sense.

Ok let's work on that has my purchasing decision plan, can you recommend which machines you would choose based on your experience.
Appreciate the advice so many options it becomes overwhelming glad I stumbled across this forum.
Cheers Andy

Personally I mainly prefer my Deus for coin/jewellery detecting, and the Minelab Etrac for the beach. I'm not really a fan of using VLF detectors on wet sand or in the water due to inherent stabiliy issues and compromised depth ability, hence the preference to run a multi-frequency detector in that scenario.

The Deus shines in picking out masked targets in junky or previously detected areas, and due to being extremely lightweight, you can cover a fair area in only a short period of time without the fatigue experienced on the Minelab MF detectors. If weight or budget isn't an issue, the CTX would be a great all-rounder as it is an improvement again over the Etrac, with faster recovery speeds, additional target identification features, GPS and more importantly, waterproofing for the beach.

Unfortunately my missus hates my Etrac due to its weight and bulk, she won't last 5 minutes before wanting to hand it back again, and the CTX despite being a better balanced detector than the Etrac, it is still a pretty weighty for someone with a small frame without using a harness, so something to have a think about.

There are advantages and disadvantages from owning either detector, hence why I run with both the Deus & Etrac as a combo to cover all bases. They are all very different detectors on how they operate, perform and handle, so I can only suggest to physically check out all the mentioned detectors in the flesh if possible, just to give yourself a better idea of what might personally suit yourself and your partner. :)

Well to let you all know after doing more research and tossing a coin in the air...... Far too many times until my thumb hurt and because I didn't like the outcome! Hahaha

I decided to buy the XP Deus.

So thanks clegy for your prompt replies and to everyone else for your guidance it's very much appreciated thanks.

Now I just can't wait to get it in my hands to start the journey I can feel the excitement already! I will give you an update on my findings and my thoughts on the machine, but only after I gain enough experience with it to make a valued appraisal.

Until then good hunting ?

Latest posts