Golddiggerart - Detector finds...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
Wow awesome find there mate...does it open..my old granny had one very similar..it was a powder case..for powdering her face..dont rely on ID to much mate...a Silver florin ids at 44 on the terra 705 as well as a 2c piece...well found...gotta be happy with that :Y: :eek: :party: :rainbow:

Yup the latch opens but is very fragile, the copper is splitting and hanging on by a single thread. Trying to be careful with it although it would be easy enough to have repaired, but I would like to have it in its original condition. :Y: It's not a powder case, either a Brooch, Hair Clip, Belt Buckle??? Million Dollar question really what is it?

Wally69 said:
:cool: :cool: :cool: Could it be the top of one of the missing faberge eggs :p :p :p

Certainly looks faberge inspired, any hallmarks on the back ??

No hallmarks to see and I have looked over every inch of it. Shame because it would be easier to research.

Smoky bandit said:
Maybe one of those things that go on top of a ty..you know...between the collar... :rolleyes:Good idea Heatho..either way mate what a great find GDA. :Y:
Yep, I know what you mean Smokey, the old girls used to wear them to hold their shirts closed at the top (so no one could get a sneaky peak at their lower neck)(ha) :Y: the lion would make any man look away I bet, probly meant their was a great treasure being guarded (lower neck of course) :lol:

Wally69 said:
:cool: :cool: :cool: Could it be the top of one of the missing faberge eggs :p :p :p

Certainly looks faberge inspired, any hallmarks on the back ??

I may have an idea where one of those Fab eggs has ended up, something I was asked about
and items discussed in a meeting many years ago.

But who knows it could all have been a fake or con....... but was it? ;)

With the Lion and the 'Jade' colour it makes me think of a Ladies Cameo piece, maybe for a Chinese Woman of importance ?

Possibly around the neck wear ?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...280&bih=875#tbm=isch&q=victorian+ladies+Cameo

golddiggerart said:
I ran the front of this whatever it is over the detector 45.....So I turned it over to the back and 42 which would be the copper latch.....Could it be Gold Front? It is cleaned up now and I wish I could take a better picture but here it is....

Brooch or Hair Clip....

Cleaned and looking Beautiful... May take it to a jeweller to get it appraised or just admire it. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3128/1491496974_unknown_9.jpg

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

Yes it could well be a Cameo.... Found a likeness of a Scottish Crest...

1491534734_6fbf1dfbf0512ea20c59950ac2a6e620.jpg

But then UK Crests are similar also, don't think it is Chinese because I have seen the patterns around the edges before and there is a specific name for them, very sure it is English.

B5MECH said:
Have you got scales? 0.01 do a SG test on it will at least tell if it's solid gold 8) How heavy is it?

My sons scales are at a friends place so can't do SG test, going to take it to Antique Dealer and Also may drop into Jewellers..

golddiggerart said:
B5MECH said:
Have you got scales? 0.01 do a SG test on it will at least tell if it's solid gold 8) How heavy is it?

My sons scales are at a friends place so can't do SG test, going to take it to Antique Dealer and Also may drop into Jewellers..
Your sons scales are at his friends house :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay after doing some research here are my findings...... The Lion 99.9% sure it is Scottish, the outer ring 99.9% sure it is the (Willow Pattern), The Metal Copper Pin/Latch, the Front without testing it and only by sight and weight from a Jeweller was said to be Zinc...or Zinc Coating, the Blue around the edge is indeed Enamel....Timeline 1960s to 1970s....Jeweller had no idea what it was, maybe a brooch? Maybe a Clip for clothing?
So I then went to seek out a Antique Dealer and not knowing where they were exactly I stopped into a Pawnbroker to ask if he knew where the Antique dealer was, he directed me to the shop down the street.
Before I left I asked if he had any Idea what it was and he took one look at the Lion Emblem, a quick browse at the clip and said (It's a Scottish Sash Pin) I looked at him and said you know what I never thought of that and I think you may be right, he then did a search on Google in front of me and we found similar and with a thank you I parted ways, before I left he said do me a favour if I am right come back and tell me I said no worries mate.
I then proceeded to the Antique shop and was told it is a tie pin but honestly seeing a lion on its side on a tie didn't fit well with me, I said I was told it may be a sash pin and Scottish and then she said oh yes we had one just like it, it is made of copper and I then said the Jeweller said it was a copper pin/latch but mostly zinc but without scratching it to test it he couldn't be 100% sure.
The Antique dealer said oh yes it is all copper with Zinc coating....errrrr Okay cheers bye....
Honestly, please, if you don't really know then don't say this and that....
Anyway I am happy with the outcome, I don't care about the value as it was never going to be sold for any amount of money. Am now onto Scottish Societies around Frankston/Mornington and hopefully can get the Clan that the Lion Matches.
Thoroughly enjoyed the process of discovering exactly what it is.....and still some discovery to do.

So there you go and just for good measure here it is again looking beautiful as it should.

1491545841_unknown_9.jpg

Cheers GDA

Latest posts