Gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out to a local spot to have a swim and lunch and did a bit of panning.

My first time out.

Is this gold? Newby question I know, sorry.

It looks like it. It bends and doesnt crush.

But some of it is almost like gold leaf it is so thin.

1485059106_20170122_151845.jpg

It was heaviest in the pan.

But some of it was just sitting in amongst the dry sand wash as well.

If it's not gold I am not sure what it is. As I said it bends, so it's a metal. And it certainly looks the right colour!

Well then, it seems you need a good friend like me to help you with that panning technique.
Seriously though, you need to get a highbanker.

I wish I was mate, seriously keep that spot quiet, just learn some techniques and keep that spot to yourself.
Look at the Gold rat highbanker if you can afford it, the sluicy is ok, but you'll end up upgrading eventually so the smarter decision is to buy good equipment from the beginning. I'm in Vic BTW.
Take those samples into a prospecting store, if they confirm that's gold go and buy a highbanker.
But keep that area a secret.

Thanks mate, will do. Yeah, the gold wasn't necessarily where I thought it would be. Strange. Lesson learned I guess.

I will check out that highbanker too.

Cheers.

Eric2017 said:
Thanks mate, will do. Yeah, the gold wasn't necessarily where I thought it would be. Strange. Lesson learned I guess.

I will check out that highbanker too.

Cheers.
Its not always where you think it should be :eek: :D

Hey Smokey. Apparently not! Lol

There is no prospecting shop in the ACT. Would a jeweler be able to confirm if it's gold?

looks good. if it bends/squishes rather than shatters itll be gold. another good tip is to compare it at different lighting angles. pyrites typically look dull from some angles while gold holds its colour. also compare wet vs dry

So I poured it out into a baking tray and hit it with a big propane lighter.

It all glowed orange then went back to gold colour. It didn't burn or char.

Damn now everyone knows the ACT has heaps of gold, I've been telling people for years at my swimming hole it's mica and pyrite their seeing. :lol:

If you're saying it's everywhere it could be mica which is also used in fireplace windows so not surprising it didn't char under flame. It's probably my computer but the colour doesn't look quite right for most of it and some looks like mica and some not. I'm in Canberra if you want I can have a look at it. PM me if interested.

Jon

Hi Jon.

Thanks for that. After doing more research I have a feeling at least some of it is mica.

I will shoot you a PM.

Cheers

Latest posts