Gold near Drouin Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this hobby and am based in Drouin in Victoria. I am wondering if anyone knows of any areas nearby me that I could go for a little practice and if there is anyone nearby me that could teach me a few things.

Hi Amer,
Welcome to the forum, and to joining the familiar search we have all gone through.
There are many prospectors based in West Gippy, and no doubt you'll come across some of us sooner or later.
To answer your question, my response will be similar to many like questions asked before on this forum: research, research, research.
Luckily, we now have the internet that has loads of historical and current information about alluvial bearing streams in Gippsland.
Try a general Google for "Gippsland Gold", which will reveal many of the local gold bearing creeks.
Then try searching similarly for the creeks identified.
There is even a search function on this forum, one the top left hand of the screen there is a magnifying glass icon, which when clicked opens up a search function to reveal previous posts on local streams.

That's the easy bit: then starts the journey to try and find that sneaky gold stuff lurking deep under the sand and clays in the steams all around you! And collecting all the gear needed!

Cheers, and best of Luck!
Tricky Dick ( from Warragul)

Spot on TD.

Hi and welcome amer702
People could tell you and even show you where and how you'll fill your vial first trip (reality is no one is going to give it up that easily), but you won't learn or know much once that spot dries up.
By researching it'll take longer to fill your vial but the knowledge you'll gain from hours of research will leave you in good stead for the future and make it so much more rewarding when you do find some gold.
It's pretty rare that somebody will get rich from prospecting so look at it as another adventure for the next however many years, and research is all part of the adventure.

Good luck.

Latest posts