Gold Monster 1000 use

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First time poster long time reader.

I purchased a GM1000 around 6 months ago now and have taken it on about 20 trips through out Victoria. In the first 5 minutes of it on the ground I found a small specimen and that has kept me going this far. Today, and this has happened probably 4 times before, I was in Whroo and got a dull signal that didnt register on the visual indicator. I scratch the surface and get nice zip zip and a full indication of gold. I carefully dig the dirt out and go about trying to find what ever it is.... to no avail. I spent probably half an hour meticulously going through maybe two hand fills of dirt to find nothing and yes rechecking the original ground and surrounding just to make sure, I couldnt get the detector to pick up the same reading as earlier. I even went to the extent of bringing the dirt home to pan it off just to make sure.... again nothing....Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here ? It's happened a few times now and its extremely frustrating. Could it be mineralisation tricking the detector and me ?! Or ultra fine gold that the detector is seeing one way and once it is disturbed can not see again?! I here of some good small success with the GM and I want to stick with it or is it time to sell it and save for 6 months without detecting and upgrade to a 4500 or 5000?

Thanks in advance

goodaye & welcome Lairdy91. Im still fairly new to gold detecting (started last year), & picked up a Monster earlier this year which im still learning to use properly too. I live in WA & Ive been told the ground in Victoria is/can be hotter than here, & the little Monster is very sensitive to correct ground balance. Your problem is most likely ground mineralisation.
Have a look at this Youtube video, & others, may help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_h7nlrfRx0
& a bit more on ground balance about 1/3 into this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdzVob17h9g

Thanks Ded,

I have viewed those before. Should I just run it in autotrac and wait for a clear signal then. The autotrac is a lot quieter but from buried test pieces it seems to lose a lot of depth.

I think once I find something I will know, im guessing like shot gun pellets the small gold will stand out the same as they do and I just ignore the other noises ?

Auto does quieten it down, but also loses a little on depth.
Its a great little machine but will always struggle on high-min ground. I haven't really nailed the technique on mine either yet.
Its a matter of perseverance trying different settings & techniques on different grounds.

Latest posts