Gold Detecting, Fossicking and Prospecting in NSW. Information and questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Umm, why not first spend the time on Vic goldfields that are closer to where you live? No need to spend 10 hour drives in the beginning"

Yeah, the plan is to start out round home at first. Plenty of choices out round Ballarat. The Fowlers Gap trip will be a week or 2 trip with kids etc, as much for the camping as detecting. So much up there to explore anyway. Just laying the groundwork now and seeing what opinions I could get on the country in terms of detecting potential.
May even do an overnight visit to Tibooburra as I have been reading some posts about the detecting fun being had up there.

To Heatho and mbasko, fabulous resources you've put me onto.
Thanks very much.

Hey guy

New to this hobby been out panning a few time.

Just went out and got my self a sluice.
Looking at taking it out this weekend. Wondering where in nsw I could take it
I'm based in Sydney

Thanks

Hi Ratty. Welcome to the forum.

The first, 2nd and 3rd things to do is research. Estrace is a huge part of being successful. You have come to the right place for that. There is a huge amount of information and some very knowledgable, experience prospectors on the forum.

Cheers

Ramjet

Hi Ratty,

NSW is a big place, need a little more info before advice comes. Anywhere Bathurst/Oberon/past Lithgow, Mudgee area etc. Do you have a particular area u r interested in?

Lots of NSW info & research platforms here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11842

There's a lot of good areas fairly close to Sydney depending on how far your prepared to go - Oallen Ford, Oberon, Sunny Corner, Ophir, Sofala, Hill End, Hargraves, Windeyer etc.
Oallen Ford, Ophir & Sofala would probably have the most reliable water flow for a sluice. Not sure about the creeks at Oberon & Sunny Corner but most of the other places can be very seasonal i.e. running after rain - can stop running very soon after rain stops.

Good info mate
1448487388_thumb.jpg

Jembaicumbene said:
Good info matehttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1448487388_thumb.jpg.
Thanks - have you tried the phone maps? I can't get them up - keep getting a map tile error?

EDIT: All good got them up now. :D

Thanks guys

Since posting this I've been out to hill end got a bit of colour in each clean up

I'm in northern Sydney
I'm pretty keen to travel

Hey Ratty, as Mbasko says water access is the main issue, and obviously at the moment its damn hot out there and to add all the frisky critters love the warm weather. Not sure what your setup is, vehicle type and if you camp or glamp it can dictate where best to recommend. Not to mention if u like trout fishing some areas you can double the fun times with gold, gems and a bit of fishing. Nundle is good for that but a decent hike from Sydney.

Latest posts