Gold Crevicing Tools information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to share with you guys my favourite crevicing tool. Its a Spear and Jackson 10x13mm Brick Joiner which I picked up from Bunnings for around $10.00, it does a fantastic job and for the most part I don't use anything else.

Here's a couple of pictures, feel free to post your favourite crevicing tool.

1364097537_img_20130324_145020.jpg

1364097572_img_20130324_144948.jpg

Ends are 10 x 13mm but you could easily flatten one end out a bit for really tight spots.

while we are on the subject , i watched a clip on you tube a few weeks ago , cant remember where it was but the guy was using a little rechargable vaccum cleaner ( dewalt i think ) anyway i was thinking that would have to be illegal in aussie land wouldnt it . i see it as dry dredging .machanically sucking up the dry crevice goodies .what do you guys think on that .
sorry not wanting to hijack this thread .
and i will be looking for one of those brick jiggers next time im in the big smoke , our local bloke may even have them .

johno

Technically I think yes but I guess it depends what your looking for, wink wink. I think if you was trying to find the amount of insect larvae in the area then I cant see any problem lol.

Hey Texta, You are just doing your thing for a safe working environment, cant be getting caught up in a messy work place..... :lol:

Cheers
Brad....

Sure Brad, :D blame it on the missus she wont sunbake in a dusty lumpy environment while we are camping.

texta said:
while we are on the subject , i watched a clip on you tube a few weeks ago , cant remember where it was but the guy was using a little rechargable vaccum cleaner ( dewalt i think ) anyway i was thinking that would have to be illegal in aussie land wouldnt it . i see it as dry dredging .machanically sucking up the dry crevice goodies .what do you guys think on that .
sorry not wanting to hijack this thread .
and i will be looking for one of those brick jiggers next time im in the big smoke , our local bloke may even have them .

johno
I saw the same ones, I don't think the way he uses it would breach any law. Sure it could be interpreted as dry dredging but if you took it to court the magistrate would throw it out........common sense rule must apply and if a ranger saw you vacuuming dirt from rocks he would be more worried about your mental health than giving you a ticket. What struck me was the amount of batteries he goes through, I reckon take a generator, the dyson and an apron and feather duster and yell at people to take their shoes off if they get too close.

Copper

Dunno about the legalities about using one in public spaces, but I made a petrol powered vacuum.
Another 20 ltr paint tin, $149 leaf blower from Bunnings and a bit of tinkering...away we went!
We got 10 grams out of a crevice where an old plant used to sit at the back of my place!
I'll take some photos of it for ya's!!

HI all,

Heres one I found a few years ago in the goldfields, i thought it was a billy lid lifter.

1365402167_dscf7314-optimized.jpg

Jim & Kerrie

Gold miner said:
Dunno about the legalities about using one in public spaces, but I made a petrol powered vacuum.
Another 20 ltr paint tin, $149 leaf blower from Bunnings and a bit of tinkering...away we went!
We got 10 grams out of a crevice where an old plant used to sit at the back of my place!
I'll take some photos of it for ya's!!

I got a keene one the same, my dry blower screws onto the bucket.

DD

Hi all,

Dogmatic, whatever it is its well made :) the sharp end has been heated enough to melt the ends together to be quite sharp.

Jim & Kerrie

Nugget - I have been using a brick jointing tool as well - thought I had discovered a unique new crevicing tool until I read this. Had it in my shed left over from an odd job years ago & when I first started putting a backpack of gear together threw it in as it looked like it might be useful. Like how you can scrape bits from the tight spots & scoop it up at the same time.
Another tool I like & picked up at Bunnings is a crevice weeding tool. I have scraped out a crack & specked a bit on the bedrock using this tool. You could easily make up different sized ones out of old powersaw blades or something similar.

I made a tool with a bit of metal tubing, prob 12mm, bent it at the end so about 3-4 cm at about 45 degree angle to the rest which is the handle about 40cm long. Bashed the end bit narrower, about 6mm, then took to it with a hack saw to put a point on it going back from the bottom lip. Works ok so far.

PS. would have been easier to put a pic up !

Finished it today.
great for opening up cracks and crevices splitting shale
eliminates the need for a hammer chisel and point.

They have been around for years just my version.

Wal gets first go as he named it THE CREVICECRACKER

Will have it at Nundle.
cheers.

1389618156_imag0342.jpg

1389618185_imag0334.jpg

1389618216_imag0336.jpg

1389618255_20140113_225224.jpg

Cracking idea mate.. Gotta have one.. :)
thesmithy said:
Finished it today.
great for opening up cracks and crevices splitting shale
eliminates the need for a hammer chisel and point.

They have been around for years just my version.

Wal gets first go as he named it THE CREVICECRACKER

Will have it at Nundle.
cheers.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/427/1389618156_imag0342.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/427/1389618185_imag0334.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/427/1389618216_imag0336.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/427/1389618255_20140113_225224.jpg

Very nicely made, looks like it will bust some cracks thats four sure. Good Job on it. I had something similar in the past, though i used that for pulling stuck axles :)

Latest posts