gold coins or gold bars which is better

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been thinking of buying some Australian gold coins or some gold bars just wondering what is better choice :)

If your looking to get a price close to spot you will be looking at 1oz bars. The smaller you go the higher the premium. If you go coins then I would look at the lunar range as they seem to get a decent premium over the smaller bars.

I agree with sa-bogan mate, to get the best deal try and buy bars, they will be slightly cheaper. Coins tend to cost a little more because people tend to collect different years or different series therefore the premium is higher.

Bars are simple to store and easy enough to sell. Sometimes with coins people want a specific year to add to their collection and therefore they are sometimes harder to sell.

Good investment choice though-physical metals is where it is at!!

just thinking iam no gold dealer but is it the right time to buy gold as the price will have too drop sooner or later or will it keep going up to like $2000oz or higher

If your going to buy coins make sure that you are buying genuine gold coins there are a lot of counterfeit coins out there. Sovereigns have been copied by many different people, I purchased a very rare gold coin from a very well known dealer only to find that it was a fake. Took a year to get my money back, I sent it to the States to have it verified and it came back in a body bag rather then being slabbed as genuine PCGS graded. A slabbed gold coin will improve in value where as a gold ingot will only be worth current market value.

Gold coins are only worth the gold content when in very worn condition , and not much use to a coin collector, so you need to think like a bullion collector , not a coin collector

Gold coins will cost way more than there bullion value , as far as sovereigns etc

The exception would be the Australian $1,000,000.00 1 TONNE gold coin.as the gold content is $40,000,000.00 , but its illegal to smelt it :D

http://www.perthmint.com.au/1-tonne-gold-coin.aspx

Before you go buy any gold, do a little reading or research into coins. I think Australian sovereigns (1855 to 1926) would be a good investment as they are getting rarer and as the gold price goes up so do the coins, but when the gold price falls your coin will hold its value. Gold sovereigns are highly portable, easy to store and they have Australian history to them. A piece of gold bullion is just that, but a coin has history and character. :)

Interesting read there Headbut thanks. To be honest it makes more sense for a fellow like me to pay more money into my mortgage first. But, I do like a nice coin like a gold sovereign to hold and admire and have a slice of Australian history. :)

As gold is pure ,if any lost treasures like that are ever recovered ,the coins are in the exact same condition as when they were lost , so a scarce or rare date coin can go down hill in price if more are found.

That is exactly what happened after the 1993 recovery, as most of them were in uncirculated condition

Latest posts