Gold Beyond The Workings?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingswood said:
More geo study :)
So Czl is laterite.....Czg apparently is lateritic gravel....Does the same geological process of supergene gold formation apply in the Czg as it does in the actual laterite??....Lots of googling and not much help :(!!!
I guess it could if the bedrock is gold bearing (???)
You can get secondary gold in Czg but I would not say it is the same process - often the gold is just being redistributed within the laterite, not from depth below it. But that CAN occur at some localities (e.g. Lady Bountiful Extended).

I was walking around a gold field the other day, noticing how much the ground changed from the main dig area to even 30m outside it. On the edges of the field old timer test holes that they haven't gone on with due to, I'm guessing, low or no gold.
I also like to get outside the main dig areas (50m - 500m) and look for that chunk that may have stopped short, or rolled outside of the main areas. Im always looking for indications of 'good ground', but if the geology is markedly different, is there much point working there?

isolation said:
I was walking around a gold field the other day, noticing how much the ground changed from the main dig area to even 30m outside it. On the edges of the field old timer test holes that they haven't gone on with due to, I'm guessing, low or no gold.
I also like to get outside the main dig areas (50m - 500m) and look for that chunk that may have stopped short, or rolled outside of the main areas. Im always looking for indications of 'good ground', but if the geology is markedly different, is there much point working there?

Yep...what the top looks like is not always indicitive of what's underneith.
Speaking of WA, we get a lot of gold above the cap, below the cap aswell as in the cap rock. On top the ground might change numerous times in an area but it might the same cap underneith.

Ore bodies can stretch for miles eg: super pit, but there would have been a zillion ground changes at surface level

Aussiedigs said:
the gold workings are in the hilly areas basically. So over time the earth has been pushed up to form the hills we have today. Through this process it has caused cracks in the earth for the likes of gold deposits to be made? Is this process what we call metamorphism?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3174_e5a727ea-7ae8-4896-84d7-6093d2535991.jpg

kind of.

Large fault lines hardly ever carry gold

small faults often can have gold , and those are the ones where , depending on the age of the feature , they may be on a hill top at this time.

some of the fault lines in Oz may be North / South or within 18 degrees of North/South , but this variation may be due to the earths poles having shifted through the last 100's of millions of years.

just because a mountain was formed 170 million years ago doesnt mean it didnt get its ass ripped and torn by other tectonic movement before or since then in any direction.

think of the earths crust as a very stiff doona cover that has three crazy rabbits fighting underneath it , if you look at the doona cover every 10 minutes its shape will have changed just as the earths crust has done.

CreviceSucker said:
think of the earths crust as a very stiff doona cover that has three crazy rabbits fighting underneath it , if you look at the doona cover every 10 minutes its shape will have changed just as the earths crust has done.

Your on fire tonight :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

CreviceSucker said:
Aussiedigs said:
the gold workings are in the hilly areas basically. So over time the earth has been pushed up to form the hills we have today. Through this process it has caused cracks in the earth for the likes of gold deposits to be made? Is this process what we call metamorphism?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3174_e5a727ea-7ae8-4896-84d7-6093d2535991.jpg

kind of.

Large fault lines hardly ever carry gold

small faults often can have gold , and those are the ones where , depending on the age of the feature , they may be on a hill top at this time.

some of the fault lines in Oz may be North / South or within 18 degrees of North/South , but this variation may be due to the earths poles having shifted through the last 100's of millions of years.

just because a mountain was formed 170 million years ago doesnt mean it didnt get its ass ripped and torn by other tectonic movement before or since then in any direction.

Large faults often do not carry gold within them, but major goldfields are often next to them within hundreds to a few thousand metres. That is because the movement on the big faults causes cracking in the adjacent rocks, and the gold-bearing fluid deposits gold-quartz veins in those cracks. For example, Bendigo is next to the Whitelaw Fault, and Taradale, Drummond North, Malmsbury etc farther south are on the probable continuation of that fault. Similar relationships exist in places like Stawell.

No, the orientation of faults have no causal relationship to the position of the Earth's magnetic poles through time (keep in mind that these poles mostly just flip - north becomes south and vice-versa, so there is no change in actual orientation). Some faults might have a geometric relationship to the Earth's geographic poles, but most do not - they mostly relate to things like the orientation of collisions between continents. So at the moment Australia is moving northwards and colliding with Ambon, but in the past a lot of collisions were east-west (eg Europe with Asia along the Ural Mountains). Faults also occur when continents split - east Africa is splitting from the rest of Africa along the African rift valley, the USA has been splitting along the north-south Rio Grande rift, the Rhine Valley formed along the Rhine graben, the Atlantic Ocean split the Americas from Africa when it opened. Of course the present orientation of faults is not always the orientation at which they formed - they can rotate after formation.

Yep, a lot of changes occur in mountains throughout time - but it is not quite as random as fighting rabbits - it will often stay fairly constant for up to hundreds of millions of years (but the Earth has been around for 4.6 billion years, so that leaves a bit of latitude for change). Often the gold in a region all formed during one fairly brief event during that time (eg much of the gold in the Eastern goldfields and Murchison goldfields, much of the gold in southeastern Australia. Sometimes there will be a few pulses of mineralisation, but still over a relatively brief period in the grand scheme of things - for example most in southeastern Australia was in the Ordovician to Early Silurian, and in the Devonian - perhaps three main pulses during this period (the latter two being Middle Devonian and late Devonian.

goldierocks said:

No, the orientation of faults have no causal relationship to the position of the Earth's magnetic poles through time they mostly relate to things like the orientation of collisions between continents. So at the moment Australia is moving northwards and colliding with Ambon, but in the past a lot of collisions were east-west (eg Europe with Asia along the Ural Mountains). Faults also occur when continents split - east Africa is splitting from the rest of Africa along the African rift valley, the USA has been splitting along the north-south Rio Grande rift, the Rhine Valley formed along the Rhine graben, the Atlantic Ocean split the Americas from Africa when it opened. Of course the present orientation of faults is not always the orientation at which they formed - they can rotate after formation.

Yep, a lot of changes occur in mountains throughout time - but it is not quite as random as fighting rabbits - it will often stay fairly constant for up to hundreds of millions of years (but the Earth has been around for 4.6 billion years, so that leaves a bit of latitude for change). Often the gold in a region all formed during one fairly brief event during that time (eg much of the gold in the Eastern goldfields and Murchison goldfields, much of the gold in southeastern Australia. Sometimes there will be a few pulses of mineralisation, but still over a relatively brief period in the grand scheme of things - for example most in southeastern Australia was in the Ordovician to Early Silurian, and in the Devonian - perhaps three main pulses during this period (the latter two being Middle Devonian and late Devonian.

as per underlined , Yes. :Y:

thanks for sharing . love the knowledge

Been thinking about this lately. My question is, can gold nuggets be found in areas that arent gullies/creeks or near them? All the shallow workings Ive been to on old maps or red GeoVic areas always bring me to old workings in creeks or what looks like old rivers/creeks that long dried up.Could I detect say 100-500m away from the old workings and still have a chance of nuggets or is the gold only in that old river bed?

What I see in a lot of YouTube videos of people finding gold is there not at or near old workings by the looks there just in what looks like virgin flat ground not a creek/gullie and there finding gold. Especially in WA so much is just in random flat areas with no old timer workings etc. is this whats called Eluvial gold?

Ive tried detecting in areas not near any old workings and just flattish virgin ground but find nothing, its just nice for a change not constantly digging up old rubbish. But my theory is all the old workings have well and truly been gone over and most of the detectable gold is now gone. If there on the maps for over 30-40 years I cant imagine the amount of detectors that have scoured over them.

On our last trip to the GT we found two bits, .5 and 1.1 towards the top/ side of a small hill, there were no real workings in the area, small gully about 75 meters away had been looked at in the past by miners, but very little other than the occasional test hole, we were just trying a different area away from the areas that get a going over, but while we did this over the last week of our holidays in most places, it only worked the once as the areas are far too big to cover in a short time, we will be back, but need a coil about 1.5 meters wide by .5 meter with wheels, sort of drag behind thing that goes around trees and over grass automatically with a screen that says "dig here" :Y: :Y: :Y:

Graham

I never detect near old diggings ,I think they have all been detected to death . I have been detecting for about five years now and I have about 5 oz of gold .i live in SA and only detect about 4 weeks a year ,mainly in Victoria . I went to Clermont for 3 weeks this year .

Latest posts