Getting ready to swing the coil again

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Got the urge again to do some prospecting, after a years break, since then moved from Bendigo to Melton, sold my AT Pro (bad mistake), after a bad year of not been able to get around much, a bit better now, though I still need a walking aid for the bigger walks, My wife and I have gotten fever again after visiting Sovereign Hill with our English rellies on holidays we ended up doing a bit of panning, got excited over our very small gold flakes, we got the urge to take up detecting again.

Still saving for our detector, working out as a Birthday present for my wife Sandy in July, we are looking at getting another AT Pro or a AT Gold, something that could be used as a Gold/Coin/Relic machine, under $1000. We hired a X-Terra 705 a few weekends ago, tried it out in the Whipstick in Eaglehawk, found an old padlock and a metal drawer handle, I had trouble getting the automatic ground balance to work, you would think countless YouTube videos on the XTerra I could do it easy, but no I was doing something wrong somewhere, a bit more time and manual reading, I would probably have it sussed out.

The only other thing that stops me fully going for the AT Gold, is the possibility of doing some beach work, I'm pretty sure you can still work the dry sand on the beach, its the sea water and the wet sand it has trouble with. (correct me if I'm wrong).

My other choice is the AT Pro, probably not as good as the AT Gold or a X-Terra 705 with a Gold Coil for prospecting, but not too bad at Coin/Relic and working on the Beach.

Sorry for giving you my life story, but at least you know where I stand and hopefully you can give us some ideas or words of Wisdom.

Thanks
Larry & Sandy :)

Welcome Larry and Sandy, it looks like you have a tough decision on your hands but hopefully with a little help from some of our members you'll make the right one.

You're right about the AT GOLD not liking wet salty sand, but in most other situations it works extremely well considering the sub $1000 price tag. I haven't used an X-Terra 705 so I can't really comment on them but I've heard and read good things.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, there's plenty of knowledgeable people on here willing to lend a hand.

Cheers,
Nugget - Matt

Latest posts