Getting a sluice/high banker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
Hi all, just after a few tips if thats ok.
My brother has decided to get a sluice/high banker so we can try out, I've checked a few out & we will get the Sluicy Gold equipment GS 11 model. Neither of us has used one or seen one in action before although I have seen a couple of youtube vids but that doesn't really teach you much. So I'm after a few tips, like what is a good but still cheap pump & although it says they recommend 3000gph, can it be run at say 2000-2500gph & still work properly. Also, is there a specific angle we should have the bottom & top parts set at for best performance & is it worth making any changes to the matting etc that they come with as I have heard some matting stuff works better than others & some people remove the riffling or expanded mesh as well, is any of that worth doing or should we just leave it as is.
Any other tips are much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Paul.

Thanks Nucopia, I had a quick look through a couple of pages of that thread last night but will have to go through it some more & see what info I can find.

ozziii said:
Hi all, just after a few tips if thats ok.
My brother has decided to get a sluice/high banker so we can try out, I've checked a few out & we will get the Sluicy Gold equipment GS 11 model. Neither of us has used one or seen one in action before although I have seen a couple of youtube vids but that doesn't really teach you much. So I'm after a few tips, like what is a good but still cheap pump & although it says they recommend 3000gph, can it be run at say 2000-2500gph & still work properly. Also, is there a specific angle we should have the bottom & top parts set at for best performance & is it worth making any changes to the matting etc that they come with as I have heard some matting stuff works better than others & some people remove the riffling or expanded mesh as well, is any of that worth doing or should we just leave it as is.
Any other tips are much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Paul.
I have the GS 16 and probably if you haven't ordered one would recommend it or even a little larger , good tool but i did do a few mods when I got it , you will find the last riffle probably doesn't clamp the carpet properly and I changed to miners moss as a few people said that the original carpet traps the gold and wont give it back.
Funnings is the cheapest spot for miners moss and they have a grey one which is half as coarse as the blue good stuff.
As for the pump I run a inch and a half pump which is about ideal, but heavy wouldn't want much smaller with the GS16 . Great sluice You can see some of my mods in the bubbling sluice thread. :)

As for angle the bottom run between 6 and 10 degrees and the top laid back enough so the rocks golf ball size and bigger take a while to get washed down , it works good if a big one stays back but you will get wet .lmao :lol: . My main tip is a little garden spade and throw the dirt right to the back wall , it breaks down better . I ran it about 500 gph less then they reckonmended. I say leave the mesh in or you will catch to much silt and the riffles do cause the right vortexes so leave it in for a while and see how you like it. :)

Thanks Ramjet, I'll have a look at that, just can't watch to many youtube vids as I only have a small amount of GB with my wireless internet.

Aussiefarmer, I looked at all the different models & would like something bigger but am restricted by cost & size as it has to fit in my car boot & also be carried so thats why the GS 11 was chosen.
I'll make sure I check that last riffle & will get some of that minors moss as well, I had read somewhere that its better to use but wasn't sure why so thanks, thats what I need to know.
I've looked at a couple of pumps but also read somewhere about some brands being pretty crappy so will have to work out which "cheap" brand is the better one, would love a honda or similar but the cost is a bit much for now as will have to get hoses & fittings as well. Trying to do it cheaply but still want something that will last a little while atleast without stuffing up. I wouldn't mind getting a pump that we don't have to run flat out, that way it might last a bit longer.
I might have to get some sort of bubble float level to get the angle right I guess as we've never used sluices before so until we get some practice a level thing will help.

Thanks for the help, I need as much as I can get,haha.
Paul.

Thanks Cracka, I forgot about the search function because normally it is useless on most forums, this one might have a good search function though so will try it out.
Thanks for the link.

Latest posts