Geovic information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MJB pretty much said it. Another couple of layers I turn on are topographic>contours, Land status and boundaries> crown land and one of the faults layers which shows reefs, it's one of the ones under geology> geological interpretations.
One thing to note if any of these layers are greyed out it is because you aren't zoomed in far enough

Good thread

Can you save these maps when you get what you want, I'd like to overlay it on google maps

Bazz

Just spent another hour on Geovic and Ill be buggered if I can make a map such as above.
If someone can post a link to this part of Geovic that would unreal
Cheers a very dumb GT 8)

Yer you can save them, it's up in the top right somewhere you can print to PDF. Also with geovic 3 registered you can apply for a login which gives you the ability to export the layers to KML files for google earth.
GT, sorry mate I'm not at my computer or else I would put up some screen shots to get you going. Geovic 2 is a bit easier to navigate. Use the zoom window to close in on your area then click the layers button (top left from memory) then the list of layers will come up on the right of screen. Tick the ones you want then on the same panel click the refresh button and tick the auto refresh box to save you some clicks

Thanks TimAu I will give it a go. I haven't used No2 or 3 I dont think. I just went in and had a go at finding a map. Didn't even get that far Argghhh

I am really a newby to GeoVic, but just noted that GeoVic 2 is no longer being updated, so best to use GeoVic 3, not much difference in use to GeoVic 2. For those new to it, GeoVic takes a bit of finding your way around (a bit "clunky" with all the click on, click off), but after a while it sort of comes together, so you can hopefully find the details that you are after. At least it is fully interactive with historic and current details available.

Rob.

does anyone know why the mine plans are no longer viewable in geovic 2 and where and how they may be located in geovic 3

goldtruck here are the links to geovic:

Geovic 2: http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=geovic

Geovic 3: http://er-info.dpi.vic.gov.au/sd_weave/anonymous.html

I would suggest you use Geovic 2 to start with as its a bit easier to use. Once you get a feel for how it works move onto Geovic 3.

The red circle is your zoom and pan tools, click the zoom in button and then drag a square out on the map around the area you are interested in. The hand symbol will let you pan left/right, up/down. Left click hold and drag.

The green circle is the layers button click this to reveal the layers (shown in the blue circle right of screen)

Under each of these folders are the different layers. The main ones you will probably be after are under the minerals folder, try ticking the box next to Mines and Mineral Occurences then click the grey "Refresh Map" button at the bottom of the folder list. Remember if the tick box is greyed out it is beacause you aren't zoomed in far enough.

Have a play with the different layers to get the info you are after.

Once you have what you want create a PDF by clicking the print icon. (Orange Circle).

This should get you going. Yell out if you get stuck.

1433812881_capture1.jpg

TimAu said:
goldtruck here are the links to geovic:

Geovic 2: http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=geovic

Geovic 3: http://er-info.dpi.vic.gov.au/sd_weave/anonymous.html

I would suggest you use Geovic 2 to start with as its a bit easier to use. Once you get a feel for how it works move onto Geovic 3.

The red circle is your zoom and pan tools, click the zoom in button and then drag a square out on the map around the area you are interested in. The hand symbol will let you pan left/right, up/down. Left click hold and drag.

The green circle is the layers button click this to reveal the layers (shown in the blue circle right of screen)

Under each of these folders are the different layers. The main ones you will probably be after are under the minerals folder, try ticking the box next to Mines and Mineral Occurences then click the grey "Refresh Map" button at the bottom of the folder list. Remember if the tick box is greyed out it is beacause you aren't zoomed in far enough.

Have a play with the different layers to get the info you are after.

Once you have what you want create a PDF by clicking the print icon. (Orange Circle).

This should get you going. Yell out if you get stuck.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3243/1433812881_capture1.jpg
Great info, thanks for posting that. :)

Thanks for posting this thread, I've been frustrated trying to find maps on geovic too GT59 and thanks to the guys who stepped through the process, hopefully researching will become fun again :8

Thanks for the geovic map info people, you would think after all the years drilling I would have known about this :lol:

Looks like I have a bit of reading to do now......

I just registered & tried to login to 3 registered but keep getting the message "could not create map engine mapengine.selection undefined". It does the same thing in the 3 anonomous version. Im using firefox version 39 and windows 8.1. Anyone got any clues.

Latest posts