G'day from Jobs Gully, Eaglehawk Vic.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day from Jobs Gully, Eaglehawk....I left home base Port Lincoln S.A. January 2010 in Jayco rig. After some 18 months detecting round Heathcote State Forests, I've now got as far as Bendigo area where we intend to remain for a while, as we love this City and its environs....been travelling like a snail on prozac....We will get round Oz eventually.....just got back from detecting north of Kalgoorlie for a few weeks...I use a Minelab GPX5000, and my trusty Garrett LS Infinium for relic/beach work...
Love the solitude and the wildlife and occasionally a bit of gold in the Victorian State Forests...we are so lucky in Victoria to have so much potential detecting land and such positive attitudes by business's and folk available to us here in The Golden Triangle.... and after detecting in S.A. for some years I say this from experience, as my personal experience was S.A. would be without doubt the most unwelcoming detecting State in Australia both by Government and Land Holders, unfortunately to the detriment to their small town's collective prosperity.........so easy to take for granted what is available to all us Miners Right holders in Victoria......a great Forum I hope I can may positive contribution and meet some of its members ""out there""...thanks,...Hoo Roo

Welcome Larry303,
Shame you've moved on from Heathcote ... probably heading out there tomorrow/Tuesday for a bit of a scratch.
The Bendigo area is great, can't get more historic when it come to gold than that area of Vic.
Assume you came back from the West to give your pick a rest :)
Cheers Tom

Hi Long time reader first time poster.
I have just registered onto the site today but have been scratching around for a few years with the GPX 5000.
I describe prospecting to my friends as " land fishing ".
Just like fishing you go out full of hope but some days you don't even get a bite!!!
At least every time the detector sings you think is this it??
I saw Tom was heading Heathcote way as well, good luck.
I am heading there on the weekend.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

Scottlucky

Hi Larry303, welcome to this wonderful website. Enjoy this and its wealth of knowledge along with the rest of us. Hows the weather in Eaglehawke Vic. I lived near Dandenong for 40 yrs but now live in Brisbane - better for the bones.
Cheers. ;)

Hi Larry, I like you have scratched around for a while and I know very little [you'll see that be some of the stupid questions I ask at times] but the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and are incredibly eager to give of their knowledge to help us. I look forward to your posts too, the good and the bad stories, and I hope you get to put some yella stuff in your bottle.

G'day, Teemore, Scottlucky, Jaros and Tassie Daz, Many thanks for your kind welcomes.
How did you go at Heathcote Teemore?
Scottlucky, as I said in my first post I spent some 18 months detecting Heathcote,Greytown areas etc.I'll give some details of a spot that myself and detecting mate found some reasonable gold and may well be worth a go if you're interested...we found amongst others small stuff a 3.5 and 7.5 grammer in a direct line about 100 metres apart near Parsons Gully which is between Miller Dam and Rowbottom Dam..to get there..head up Hirds Road off the Northern Highway right in the Township and its part of the Argyle State Forest and you can detect right through that area.....it will be on your Navman...past the Red Hill old gold diggings...right into Herds Track <left is off to Possum Gully> ....there are track signs to follow...there are 6 Quartz reefs, feeding down past the Miller Dam and that area was responsible for some very large gold nuggets in years gone by e.g. 69 Oz,96Oz, 102Oz 75Oz etc..<Thompsons Reef Bell Topper Reef, Shakespeare Reef, Barrels Reef, British Queen Reef etc..you can detect all round those quartz reefs and our larger nuggets were found direct line from Millers Dam through those reefs back towards Rowbottom in the Parsons Gully....there is also a surface area there which produced many tiny ones on and near the surface...good place to use the new Minelab SDC 2300 if I had one!.... up Spring Flat Rd., toDirty Womens Gully off Hedleys Dam Track has been done to death now but many small ones have been recovered in the quartz creek there..ideal again for the new 2300 I reckon...you can detect from there right up and over the hill to Rosy Gully/Rosy Reef through to Little Rosy Gully etc.. ... The area across the road from De Castella's winery has produced quite a few this side of the Pink Cliffs up to the fence, you cant detect in Pink Cliffs but you can in the vegetation/shrub area off the road across from De Castella's....try your DD Coil in cancel on the 5000 under the power lines to remove transformer interference which is in front of the winery..much metal/rubbish/lead through these areas is a nuisance..
I just got back from W.A. North Of Kalgoorlie on Hampton Stattion and I found a 21 grammer and 2.5 grammer in the first 20 minutes of day 1 and only 100 metres from our tent camp...very little rubbish/bullets there and if you get a signal likely gold...pure detecting heaven...our group got 40 odd nuggets...
Good luck with all your detecting...Regards, Larry.

larry303 said:
How did you go at Heathcote Teemore?,
I just got back from W.A. North Of Kalgoorlie on Hampton Stattion and I found a 21 grammer and 2.5 grammer in the first 20 minutes of day 1 and only 100 metres from our tent camp...very little rubbish/bullets there and if you get a signal likely gold...pure detecting heaven...our group got 40 odd nuggets...
Good luck with all your detecting...Regards, Larry.

Sounds as though did well over in the West, what a great change not digging too many bullets/birdshot and general rubbish.

Made it to Heathcote today despite the weather ... rain easing to drizzle, recovery in the wet soil is a pain, alas no yellow.
Tried the One-Eye off Hirds Rd, plenty of interesting shallow and deep workings, a few filled and some unfilled mines at 10 -15+ feet in the area. Had aquick look at Argyle but I'd had enough of the rain by then, at least you can use the SDC in that kind of weather.
Cheers T.

G'day Larry, good luck in your endeavors.
I recall years ago you copping a heap of shite re the Finny.
Do you still have it?
it was one of the first into Australia if I remember correctly.

G'day Redfin, thanks for your warm welcome mate. You are right I got the first Garrett Infinium sold in Australia in July 2002....still use it when it's wet or for relic hunting...its been updated twice by Garrett to current specs.....something I wish Minelab would look at doing upgrading chips rather than bringing out new models.. ...then you don't have to buy all the hardware with each Minelab model...but then the profit wouldn't be as great....copped a lot of flack back in those days, you have a good memory...Minelab lovers gave the Infinium heaps mainly as you only had a choice of the big lunky DD coil that came with it and most of the knockers had never used one anyway......but they soon came out with smaller DD's and Monos which improved their versatility....love my 5000 now which I've had for a few years, previously had 4000...I only ever found one 1.1 gram nugget with the Infinium but cleaned up most of the State Forests of all their junk!....they really like metal/junk...but its also what makes them excellent Relic detectors for the beach etc...found lots of coins etc...
Where are you based and what do you use?
Good luck at Heathcote Scotty....sounds like you're more likely to detect inside the winery rather than outside!...don't let liquormortis set in mate....
Hoo Roo.

Mrs Redfin has a 5000 and I have a 2200.
We live in Melbourne but have a place in Dunolly as well.
I had a Finny as well, I had grand visions of dong the beaches but life got in the way so
I passed it on to a member on here.

1405658254_finny.jpg

Latest posts