NE Vic wanna be.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little about me, yet where to start staying as brief as possible. I grew up mainly in Vic, but moved around like a gypsy with my oldman working on construction. He had an interest in fossicking for gems & prospecting in gold & i guess i was interested in getting his attention so i took on his interest watching him & learning as much as i could trying to impress, as he was not a very patient teaching man. (he probably preferred that i was not there, invading his time out from the family now in hindsight.)
We spent 18 months travelling from southern vic with c/van in tow, when i was out of work in my earl 20's, heading up to north Qld(Atherton Tablelands) Dredging, detecting for gold & searching for gems on the way up & back down calling in at most gold areas & gem fields. The experience i got from that was very empowering & i am surprised how much i learnt looking back.
In mid 20's ended up on the Sunshine Coast in Qld, working hard with lots of different jobs eventually being a fulltime garbo at Noosa & eventually buying property, with the help( or should i say control of my parents) in the Hinterland which pretty much took up all my spare time. Then the folks got involved in pyramid selling scheme, ending up going broke * threatening to sell my property they offered to help me with. So i ended up in the mines in WA to earn big bucks to buy them out, leaving my then mrs & her 2 kids to do so, or i would have lost the start in life & security i had worked so hard for. I was left single after first 6 months, yet buying the folks out & decided to stay on over there for 4 yrs to get me ahead in my security for the future. I came back after buying another investment property & fell in love with the mother of my daughter, who i caught Glandular Fever off, rendering me unable to work for 2-3 years. I finally got over it, ending up with casual job in the forestry with DPI & being in shared care with my very young daughter. Within first year i came across newborn abandoned calf while at work pruning pine trees, building a shelter to cover the calf from the sun & prey birds, not realising or know that i got afterbirth on my hands & rolling a ciggy, i contracted Q Fever which took 18 months to get diagnosed. No hope of claiming comp off gov department, it turned my life upside down, loosing most of what i had gained. At the end of 2014 i was forced to sell my downsized half acre from the 5 acres i originally bought due to non stop sweating & battling dehydration daily most of the year in the Qld heat, ending up imprisoned in my unfinished half done shed on the half acre sitting in front of 3 fans trying to keep me cool.
This is why i ended up in Vic at the very end of 2014, leaving on xmas day & loosing my c/van an hour down the road after tyre blew out causing it to jackknife, lucky not to damage my newly purchased 4WD i had got on xmas eve. Then trying to drive on getting a couple more hours down the road for the wheel on the other side of the van shed the studs & dropping the wheel, with the studs ending up in the bush starting a bloody bush fire. this was just north of Tagoolawah. With nothing open, the firies stayed with me, supplying me with water until the tow truck arrived to take the van & my belongings away & they talked me into travelling on as would be few week b4 insurance could be sorted. BTW i do feel lucky that the car, myself & my dog did come out of that pretty well unscathed, especially after blocking Bruce hwy, freeway off with them in jackknife incident & luckily not involving anyone else.
Eventually got down here in Vic to place i spent some of my teen years growing up also knowing that it got very cold down here hoping it would help me. It must have helped, as 4-5 months after being down here living on river in a tent, i apparently got over the Q Fever after 15 long bloody years with blood tests stating it was gone, yet not feeling any better really, or sure whether the lack of humidity was just making things a little easier to battle on.
I after a few months more, 7 finding out house i wanted to buy for the previous few yrs, but unable to sell in Qld, had sold a week b4 the Xmas day i left Qld. So i purchased vacant block as other houses to expensive & purchased house online to be transported onto the land by truck. Simple you would think. Yeah well over 12 months on, i am in the house ATm which legally i am not suppose to be, simply because of shonky builder & the local council stuffing around. Now i am in the process of withdrawing of the antidepressants i have been on for 16 years, as i believe they are causing as much damage as the disease did.
While camping on the river i got back into panning for gold to keep me sane, building a $5 dollar sluice box using a old 20 ltr plastic oil container & a good length of 5" flexible ribbed black poly irrigation pipe i designed remembering how much gold use to get trapped in the 6" suction hose on his submersible dredge from 30 yrs ago. I would dig out about 6 buckets of wash, sieve it off, then wash it through my cheap plastic sluice just collecting the concentrates to sort when i got in the house ( heaps to pan off yet. ) The heat ATM is knocking me around a bit with the withdrawals from the meds. I am looking at investing in new Garret AT Pro, mainly because it can be used in the water as well & hoping that it will help me regain my health & some fitness after finishing the meds & weather cools down a bit. At 53 yrs old, i am now riddled with Osteo arthritis & have collapsed disc in lower back, also need procedure on internal bleeding that GP thinks could be bloody cancer. i would like to believe that it isn't, but need to wait until heat passes & i finish this detoxing of my body b4 i find out.
I am thinking my luck has to change soon & hoping the gold will be the turning point for a new sort of healthy life once again.
Sorry it was so long.. Sean.

OH BTW, it is not the amount i find that drives me, though it would help in the future. With me it is the chase that i am passionate about, actually being able to understand where to look & digging it. Applies to gems also. ;) cheers & lots of luck & knowledge to you all.

Welcome to PA Sean. You've been through the wars mate, i hope it is finally turning around for you and good luck with the latest tests.

Welcome to the site mate.
1456723681_1476364148.gif

Welcome Sean. Looks like we all get arthritis just past 50. Good luck with that. I take about 8 tabs a day of codeine/paracetamol coz the docs won't give me anything stronger. I am waiting for the legalization of med. marijuana so that i can get away from this constant back and leg pain.
Might grow some myself if i can get some seedlings or seeds. Then make the oil myself. Can only hope,
All the best Sean and good hunting.
Jaros :cool:

Gee wiz mate! What a run and its great that your still taking the journey full steam ahead! You hit it on the head with the meds and flipping to positive thinking. What's your lil buddys name mate? Keep the digging and activities up, it really helps

Thanks Bigwave & AtomRat, His name is Rossi & he adopted me about 5 yrs back when i was close to my lowest. He means everything to me & kept me sane & is so bloody smart, winning hearts everywhere we go. The meds m8 have a longer list of side affect symptoms than what the disease does, including continual bloody sweating which creates heaps of problems in the heat which no one can really appreciate unless in that scenario. I am just hoping i have not done some sort of permanent damage to sweat glands & the sweating stops.. Time will tell i guess. Thanks for understanding, you'd be surprised how many ppl don't when you physically look all right.
Cheers sean.

wow u must b a strong person to go through what u have been through we all have some story but I think it makes us stronger well at least I hope so keep going and stay positive.your boy needs you.

Welcome mate.You certainly have had it tough,keep your chin up.Love your signature,you certainly haven't given up,despite all the challenges thrown at you.All the best mate.

Latest posts