Fun police ruins great day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a little disappointing , when your out in the bush minding your own business when out of the blue the fun police pull you up for detecting old bullock heaps
as I stated to them being a little fussy where you can or can't detect , this place was on crown land full of old miners holes ( mullock heaps) , plenty of signs around like* no fires *no firearms *no dogs , but no sign saying you cannot detect there.
yes my fault should read the fine print every where we go., was a great little spot found 3 small nuggets in the time I was there, also a little stiff I suppose , the government has plenty of money to pay the fun police to work on Sundays .

recon all the Country Towns in Victoria , has every week 1000s of Prospectors staying in Motels spending money in Country Towns an supporting the economy , as well as keeping fit and active , sounds all positive to be , but my trips in the Northern parts of Victoria will no longer get my money . well done boys thanks for doing a good job, just hope your towns where you come from don't close all there shop and business downs.
but the flower sniffing greeny may save the day , if they can get on the push bikes and get out of the big citys

1460880971_mullock_heap_2.jpg
1460880992_mullock_heap_2.jpg

up in the beachworth area

sorry friend not a good idea to let people know where you go, could imagine a great influx of prospectors in the area , which would be no good for us all who love the outdoor hunt for gold , there is plenty of other spots just got to do a little more home work , before we venture out

:cool:

see more and more posts from people with NEW machines asking about some places and or commenting on places that are clearly OUT OF BOUNDS...

Do they not even read their miners licence and or the rules and regs..

And when told/advised of the rules/regs and pointed to the info sites.. get in a huff..

I would have assumed any one in Vic for eg would know their stuff before going out. And SA and SA even more so.

http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...specting-and-fossicking/rules-and-obligations

Obliviously you thought you were Ok to be there otherwise you would not have gone in.

As a Newbie I have looked through pages of info including Vicgov sites, Geomap etc
I have found there is not a lot of clarity.
It is very clear about some places such as Sailors creek in Daylesford but for state forests and crown land seems you have to go to the local authority's to check.
The exempt waters list is great but it also is not clear if your creek or river flows into the exempt river.

Is it the river itself that is exempt or all creeks, rivers and gutters that flow into that exempt river? Meaning that whole water system.

It would be nice if they published maps and lists of areas and waters that can be prospected. Takes the guesswork out

Goldengoose Victoria is probably the best documented state with things like GeoVic, Parks prospecting guides & commercially available maps.
The exempt rivers list is pretty straight forward. If the river, stream or creek your looking at is listed then prospecting is banned. It also lists tributaries, & names them as such, of the major rivers on the list.
For the most part anyone that says they don't know where to go or it wasn't clear etc. usually haven't looked/researched properly or they just didn't want to know ;) I've been caught in the wrong place before myself. Best to cop it on the chin & move on. Doesn't mean you have to stop trying to get things changed for better access though or stop going to an area altogether - just means more homework before heading out (which you should be doing anyway for more than one reason!).

Hi Basko,

Yes homework is what I'm doing and would not go if not clear with the land but as for well documented for someone who has been at it for a while it may be clear.

I am only stating that as a newbie there is provided maps of the national park areas allowed and that list of exempt rivers etc as I have even read here on this site there is confusion as to where you are allowed to go from some of the more experienced guys.
I may put together a map and have it checked with all related departments which clearly show all areas which can be prospected. Outlining in red (no go zones) National parks, the excluded waters on the list, the heritage ares, aboriginal areas, state parks, nature reserved areas, occupied commonwealth land, current mining tenents etc
You could purchase one when I'm done ;) LOL don't think you need one
At 105 penalty units in the legislation which may equal $144,000 odd thousand for and the lost of equipment and possibly vehicles I think I would like to be certain I am in the right area

Mate if this was a fishing forum you would have a clear list of catch sizes and limits, restricted waters, national marine parks which include Gps points all freely available even printed free at fisheries Vic. Seems they make a lot more dollars from the fishing scene.

anyway hoping to go this weekend for a trip to Creswick and finally be able to load some pic's in the show and tell section. :)

Cheers

Hi all,

I went to the Earth Resources Information Centre yesterday.

1 Spring Street, Melbourne, 3000
T: 1300 366 356

I met with a representative in this office. He had his duplicate book and pen in hand ready issue another miners right and accept payment as he had just done moments earlier.
I advised that I already have the right and wished to ask some questions so asked

Q:Is a creek/gutter or stream of a river on the exempt list also off limits? ( crown land )
A: Is it wet or dry?
Brief discussion if that was even relevant.
A: Go to the area you wish to prospect, find ranger and ask them.

Seems the office issuing the licences are not sure about this one either.
Also they no longer print maps due to the " liability risk if their map information is inaccurate"
My conclusion is if all the access is lawful then it is okay to prospect there. Check with the local ranger and hope they are having a good day then your ok.
Maybe it is up to the rangers interpretation of the laws. :)

Cheers

Hey Guys
Parks Vic have brought out maps of most, if not all, of National and State Parks of where you can and can not go detecting . These maps are in colour. Our local Range here in Maryborough has them. So I'm sure that most branches of Parks Vic would have them as well. This is the list of the one's that I have :-

Kara Kara National Park,
Kooyoora State Park,
Wychitella Nature Conservation Reserve,
Heathcote - Graytown National Park,
Chilton Mt-Pilot National Park,
Beechworth Historic Park,
Grater Bendigo National Park & Bendigo Regional Park,
Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park,
Maldon Historic Area,
Paddy's Rangers,

Get these and you basically can't go wrong

wombat ;)

These are readily available for these specific national park areas.

The maps do not answer my question about feeder creeks in crown land that lead to the exempted rivers.
I cannot find it written even in the legislation but thought it may be similar to catchment areas that cover all the collection
I think it is a valid question that I will find the answer to.
Asking local ranges before going in etc

Thanks for the input guys
Cheers

Very valid question, is it just the stream, or the stream easment, 1 chain, 22 yards ? How far off the water do you have to be? Do you ask the hard questions, or plead ignorance; the legislation was not clear; did not say I couldn't !! Ask the officer to show you where it states clearly ---- . May be a tin of worms we don't open.
Cheers LL

Here is a list of all Exempt Rivers and Creeks in VIC

http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...ess-rules/list-of-exempted-rivers-and-streams

I seem to remember that a feeder creek, stream or river to another river is considered part of the greater river system from an ecological perspective i.e. to go to the extreme; If you drop a toxic material into the smallest feeder creek it "could" find its way into the water supply of a larger system.

Where it can get confusing is if the feeder creek is within a designated prospecting area. I believe if an exempted river is within a designated prospecting area then the river and it's banks are no go.

Latest posts