Garrett Pro Pointer AT information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver

silver
Reaction score
Here is a link to the new under water pro pointer (called the Propointer AT) at the Garrett website in America,... submersible down to 10 feet (3 metres) underwater.

Garretts advert and specifications, including the instructional video
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_pro-pointer_at_main_en.aspx

Garrett Australia have it listed at $225(current price at time of writing).
http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/pro-pointer-at/

This one looks like they have taken in a lot of feedback on the usual Propointer from users in the field and put the feedback to good use in designing in some full on new features.

Had to look again to see that,.. Thanks RJ,.. I stand corrected(cheers).

I had some issues with my first pro-find, had to turn it on/off again to get it working properly, though it definitely wasn't due to heat. Does it continually false, or just struggle to register when first turned on? I ended up taking mine to Miners Den and they just sent me out a new one, had no issues since then.

Only after has been on for a couple of seconds it starts go nuts, have to turn the sensitivity down as low as it goes but then it becomes useless. The problem has only started since the hot a humid weather has kicked in, I was just wondering if the Garrett has the same issues.

Garrett has other issues.. My ML has had the same issue as GoldPic ( some times like your description as well) and been replaced twice in 6 months.

On to my third :)

What is the expiry date on your 9V batteries and what sort are they...

What detector do you use...

Personally I would just send the profind back, and get a second pinpointer as a backup.

There may be the possibility that moisture has somehow entered into the unit, causing it to behave erratically, my Nokta had this issue, and you couldn't shut the thing up upon startup.

Regardless of brand, they all seem to have have small issues that crop up now and again, none of the four pinpointers I have owned have had a clean run from when first purchased (four different brands). For that reason, I always carry two pinpointers in my car for field outings. :)

Thanks guys, yeah seems they all have their problems. Might just grab a At pointer and send the Minelab back while it is still under warranty, then have 2.

Whilst up in Adelaide, I took the opportunity to look at a replacement for my ageing Pro-find, with a pinponter that offered both waterproofing and target ratcheting as must haves.

After not previously considering a Garrett product due to well known quality issues with wiring and related falsing, I took a leap of faith and purchased the waterproof AT pro pointer (also known as the "carrot").

The AT does not come with a lanyard, even though a mount is supplied, so a bit of a negative considering some other manufacturers supply one at no extra charge.

A good quality T.REIN retractable lanyard was purchased as an extra from the Garrett dealer, which ultimately pushes the purchase price towards the $300 mark. This has a 36" Kevlar cord, polycarbonate case, stainless steel screws and metal gear loop, and a quick disconnect mount for the pinpointer end of things. As the Garrett pouch has no metal loop for mounting the lanyard (as on the TRX pouch), this specific T.REIN lanyard comes with a velco belt strap.

As for the carrot, I pefer single button operation for both ratcheting and sensitivity/mode operations. The button itself has a more positive feel to it, being more pronounced over the very flat TRX button. It is also much louder than the TRX, and the LED light proves much more useful than the inadequate lighting on the TRX.

The orange colour was a good decision by Garrett, I never could see the logic behind making pinpointers with dark plastics or camo colour schemes.

The actual operation on coin targets is pretty much as what I expected, sensitivity is pretty good on smaller targets, though not quite up to TRX levels, and the proportional audio is excellent.

One thing that did catch me off guard was picking up other targets along the length of the pinpointer shaft whilst trying to pinpoint a coin target in a hole. The TRX only pinpoints at the tip, hence you do not pick up unwanted targets in the hole that may come into close proximity to the shaft. I guess the upside is the ability to scan sideways through soil/sand for targets, though it can prove tricky when searching around a hole with multiple targets.

One way to get around that issue was to narrow down the target location by using the ratcheting feature, as this tends to ignore the smaller targets whilst locking onto the stronger coin target, though with several larger targets in the same hole, things could get a bit tricky. In this instance, tip detection only is a big plus.

My Deus did react to the AT pointer being held relatively close to the coil, though no where as noticible as on the PI pinpointers. I had no issues with falsing when using the Etrac which was a huge plus (it doesn't play ball with PI units, requiring a noise cancel on start-up).

One other feature missing from this pinpointer is the inability to use AA batteries as an alternate power source, so a plus there to the TRX and newer Deteknix units.

Overall I am pretty happy with the "carrot", though I feel it should be priced closer to the $200 mark for what features are on offer when compared to other brands. The downside is the current US exchange rate which commands a premium price, the TRX is also in the same boat in that respect. :)

1451290183_img_20151228_36821.jpg

Latest posts