Garrett AT Pro information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poizon83

Clint
Reaction score
Hello, I recently have just purchased a AT PRO INT.. And I was wondering if there were any tricks that I should know about? as I have been using an xterra 705 for a few years.. And I was told that I should "Lube" the O ring when i do a battery change to keep the seal good? What Lube should I use? Plus anything I need to know About submersible head phones????
Any info will be much appreciated.
Regards Clint.

Hi Clint,

The AT Pro is a great machine and there are plenty of guys on here that use them. The usual suggestions apply, i.e. read the user manual thoroughly, watch the DVD that came with it, watch plenty of videos on YouTube and the most important of them all is to simply get out there and start using it. As you become more experienced with the machine you'll be able to differentiate between quality and trash targets by the variations in tone and response. Setting up a test bed is also worth looking into.

Silicone Grease is best recommended on the battery compartment 'O' Ring. I've heard not to use Vaseline or any other petroleum based product as it can cause the rubber to dry out and crack. In saying that I have used Vaseline on mine once or twice with no negative impact. 'O' Rings are cheap enough.

Here's a couple of suggestions for submersible headphones. I personally own a pair of Garrett's and find them to be top shelf. The alternative is the Gray Ghost's which have an adjustable volume control (the Garrett's don't have this), I'm yet to try them out but they don't sound too bad.

Gray Ghost submersible headphones https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1807
Garrett submersible headphones http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/products/Garrett-Submersible-Headphones.html

I hope that helps you out.

Nugget.

Thank you for the reply Nugget.. Ive bought the machine im just waiting for it to arrive so I am trying to learn as much as i can before i start testing it out and using it in the field.. With the detector i bought the grey ghosts and the 5x8 coil as well so now im trying to be paitent and wait for it... Its not going well so far.. :( ;)

Hi poizon
While you are waiting for you detector, go to the Garret website and watch the instructional videos.
Then watch them again and again :)
Also YouTube.
Nugget has stated it takes 50 to 100 hours to learn a new machine.

This is also some useful info....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=159

I have an AT PRO but only have a few hours on it so far.
My first detector and I'm happy with it.

Best of luck

Rod

I was going to buy an ATX but have decided to buy an AT Pro International as it will be about 14 months before I hit the (gold fields) road

So until then most of my detecting will be down at the beach as I live on the coast

Any suggestions as to where I can get the best deal as I am just starting out?

Would also consider buying a second hand one under 12 months old

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Mark

Wouldn't recommend the AT pro or AT gold for wet sand if thats what you wanna do. However you still can find stuff in the wet and they are fantastic machines for trashy areas!
Best to save up for an ATX (for wet sand)- I saved heaps importing mine from the U.S.A.

Thanks Joshwasere,

Wasn't that interested in the AT Gold - but from what I read the AT Pro was good for the beach

The plan is to pick up an ATX when I head off late next year but was looking for a detector that was lightweight that I could have a bit of fun with in the meantime.

Just not sure who's offer the best deals on these or whether to look for a second hand unit

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion Wolfau

Considered buying from USA - but soughta like to try and keep some of the locals in business + if I have any issues it won't cost me an arm and a leg to send it there and back

Anyways - bit the bullet and bought one yesterday over the phone and when I got home today it was here waiting for me

Awesome service

1409816113_garrett_at_pro_internation_metal_detector.jpg

1409816113_garrett_at_pro_internation_metal_detector_1.jpg

First time out Mark, you'll be bitten by the same "Bug" we all are The next signal will hold what I'm looking for.......
I hope. Anyway man, have loads of fun with it. If you're like me the only hassle you'll have is trying to console the Mrs when you want to go to the Fields and she wants to somewhere different, anywhere different.

Joshwasere said:
Wouldn't recommend the AT pro or AT gold for wet sand if thats what you wanna do. However you still can find stuff in the wet and they are fantastic machines for trashy areas!
Best to save up for an ATX (for wet sand)- I saved heaps importing mine from the U.S.A.

HI J. thought about doing that too. do you need too pay duty on buys over $1000 ? Tesoro and a few others won't ship to OZ. need a Gooping etc account. if local dealers got their $%%^^ together it would be a win win situation. :eek:

Nice one Mark

Mo Tackle to the rescue

Bet you cant wait to get out there

Cheers mark 2

I bought an AT Pro via a party in the US ($625 Oz money-as opposed to $975 Oz money; is a no-brainer). I wanted to use it for beach and also nugget hunting. But on reading a little more I realize I've been overcome with the US hype about how good this model is on finding nuggets. The soil there and here are very different.

Will someone clarify for me if the AT Pro will find much in the way of gold if it's 'there'.

I know it a dumb question to ask now the deals done, but I just need a bit of direction please.

Your topic was just moved to a more specific / relevant section (i.e. Garrett).

In regards to your question, the AT Gold can and will pick up on gold over a certain size, however it will also struggle to cope with the mineralised ground conditions often where gold is found. In saying that, it's a popular choice among coin and relic hunters and I would highly recommend getting the 5"x8" DD coil.

Welcome to the Forum SunriseBoy. You may have posted in the wrong section. I have an At Pro. Great machine. It is more a coin/relic detector. It will find gold but not as good as machines designed for gold hunting. It will find gold if it's not to small and close to the surface. The At Gold is is built to find gold. Different frequencies etc.

I am no expert and members with better knowledge will hopefully post more information for you.

The AT Pro is more suited to the coin and treasure side of detecting, where as the AT Gold is geared at the treasure side with an entry level into gold detecting capabilities. The AT Pro will find nuggets if the ground is not overly mineralized, but wouldn't be a "go to" detector as there are much better VLF's on the market specific to gold.

Woops....Ramjet beat me....same as he said. :8

Latest posts