Garrett Ace 250 Information & Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on you mate, you'll love the AT Pro and the father and son time you speak of will be priceless. I'm now looking forward to seeing how long it takes to recoup the cost of the AT Pro :)

Hey Cabwoody, It's great to hear about someone having FUN with our hobby. That's what it's all about. You'll have some great times with your young fellow. It just might take more than 12 days to recoup the cost of the AT Pro, but you just never know mate!

Thanks guys.I was pretty fortunate with the 250 - right place at the right time.The AT Pro will take a bit more getting used too than the 250 so I'll be digging everything again until I get used to what the detectors telling me, especially with the Target ID numbers on the screen (lots of bench testing).

Hey team,

Thought I would brag (or laugh at myself) what I have found - so far only after a few uses of the Garrett Ace 250 on a select few days.

1383094928_a.jpg

1383094950_b.jpg

1383094983_img_2747.jpg

Overall, I am just starting out but digging up everything to keep the beaches clean and to pass time. :)

It's great to see fellow members doing their bit to clean up our beaches :lol:

One of favorite tools for beach detecting is watching beach cams (coastal cams), check out http://www.coastalwatch.com and see if you beach is listed on the left. If it is, you'll be able to see where all the high traffic areas are and eliminate a lot of the guesswork ;)

In terms of the Ace 250, it's a fantastic beach machine. The best configuration is to notch out (discriminate) the first 2-3 bars with the sensitivity turned right up, if you find the detector is too chirpy you should reduce the sensitivity by only 1 notch at a time until it becomes stable. If your local beach is too trashy and you find it hard to distinguish and separate targets, you might want to consider switching over to a DD searchcoil.

A couple of beach detecting tips. If you haven't already purchased a scuff plate (coil cover) then I suggest buying one. You should then try to swing your coil as close to the ground as possible to maximize depth. Personally I like to lightly scrub the sand with the coil base. Swinging the coil 3-4 inches off the ground means you're potentially loosing 3-4 inches in ground penetration, and this equals less targets (i.e.coins and jewellery).

All the best mate.

Nugget.

Where do get a Scuff plate from ? I am in Gladstone CQLD and there are two camping stores but don't have much unless your into fishing, boating, fishing, shooting, fishing, camping, and lastly fishing.

I do run the MD over the sand a lot but didn't think to much of it, but I bet if I do run it aroun rocks it wont be giving it the world of good.

Maybe I could put a cloth bag over it temp? Would tht work/

Nothing wrong with the ace 250. I carry mine in the car at all times. The detector will find them, you just have to get to the goodies before everyone else does. I am amazed at how metal free the beaches in the Shoalhaven are.

I think its all us retirees. We all got a detector for Christmas lol.

Great work mate, I am in same boat just starting out with the ace 250 and digging everything. I am sure once we get the hang of the detector the treasure will start coming.

no cams for Tas! And beaches around Hobart have been all been scoured to the grass by high tides and surges, have to wait til Feb for the water to warm up and try the low tide line and dumps. Have yet to try it.

no cams here either. but I have been sneaking a few pic of with my iPhone of the beach at high and low tide with people standing around so I get a good visual of where to go.

Ahh the joys of crap on beaches.

However I swear there is a tent there somewhere waiting to be unearthed by me, with a lost family inside it :p

1383626203_img_2785.jpg

When you find them give the guy his lighter back as he is probably missing it now

Dont chuck the pegs you might need em when you go camping with the big boys

I was wondering where my tent pegs went... lol
I was went for a lunch time detect at the old Hall Showgrounds today, found lots of bottle tops there too... there's a plague!

I have ordered (only because I don't trust the wife to order it!) a Garrett AT Pro International for my 40th. One of the things I plan to do is to try my luck at beach detecting down the south coast, hopefully the bottle tops are'nt as prolific as in Gladstone!

Good luck, it can only get better :D :D :D

Wet sand is a bit of a pain with the 250 as you cant ground balance but great fun in the dry sand.

By the way, I found out that condom wrappers are aluminium lined and thank god used condoms arent.

Latest posts