Full and half gold sov prices

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneTheCrows

Neil Mulvaney
Reaction score
I spied a half sov and full sov in a second hand dealers today
half sov $399
full sov $599

Both looked shiny and unmarked
Both said Sydney minted

How could you tell if they were real as the price seemed cheap
Is it simply buyer beware or is there some way of telling if they are fake

If they are shiny then take it that they have been clean and only worth bullion value plus 10%. Buying sovereigns can be a good investment but only at the right price.
Sydney mint coins pre 1870's are selling at record prices at the moment. Collectors are getting very fussy with the quality of coins and cleaned coins are no longer considered
worth buying as they can't be graded by PCGS or NGC A sovereign that had sold for over $20,000 only passed in a $6000 in one of the last auctions because it had been cleaned. :D :D
If you would like to buy bullion sovereigns I can recommend a dealer who is very good.

Unless its a rare coin they are only worth their weight in gold...Maybe %10 more max..Cleaned or not cleaned makes no difference :Y:
Who wants to pay an extra $1000 because it's dirty. :awful:

I think most modern sovereigns are 22 carat - so about 8% copper and/or silver (sometimes minor zinc). I don't know about old sovereigns but would suspect the very reason they don't stay shiny is this (unless they have actually been handled in normal circulation). Does anyone know?

Do you remember the dates ...?

If its a franchise S/h shop those prices would be inflated ...!

The dies that were used to mint the sovereigns had to come from England and sometimes the finish wasn't as good as expected. They had an orange peel finish to them, proof sovereign are minted differently and the dies are highly polished for a mirror finish. What we look for is what is called mint lustre some of the finest coins have a beautiful mint lustre which explains why they are graded MS for mint state.
Here's and example of a set on the PCGS registry.
Cheers db
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/au...rculation-strikes-1902-1910/alltimeset/117715
Never get tired of looking at them.

I will check the dates.
Never having seen one before, I was surprised how small they are.
From the few pics I have seen on the forum, my mind was telling me they we bigger than a fifty cent piece.

Sovereign is about the size of a shilling, 22.5mm as oppose to a shilling 23.6mm and half sovereign is 19mm and the sixpence is 19.3mm :D :D

goldierocks said:
I think most modern sovereigns are 22 carat - so about 8% copper and/or silver (sometimes minor zinc). I don't know about old sovereigns but would suspect the very reason they don't stay shiny is this (unless they have actually been handled in normal circulation). Does anyone know?

Had the composition of Old & New Sovereigns in a coin value guide book, can't locate it atm, but i think from memory you are correct they are 22 carat.

Latest posts