I went to a coin dealer today to see about grading 2 coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my 2 best coin finds to a retail bricks and mortar coin dealer today to enquire if I should get one or both officially graded. Short answer is "nope" not really worth it.

The 2 coins were an 1837 1/2 crown and an 1871 1/2 sov (pics below).

He regarded both as VF. That surprised me but I only wanted an indicative response.

He said if I was to sell to him the 1/2 crown would only be scrap value and the 1/2 sov offer would be $175. The on the spot valuation for the 1/2 crown really surprised me as my looking on the internet gave me the impression I would get about the same as the 1/2 sov. The half sov did have some wearing but I thought that $500 would be of the right order. If he was to on-sell the half sov he would need to turn a profit so I assume a retail price would be say around $400. He knew I only wanted an indicative grading and was not interested in selling so no bargaining.

He did mention that for sovs, having the crest was good and that the real money is for 1850s and 1860s gold coins that are in pretty well uncirculated condition. And as we all know, it is very rare to dig from the ground anything really worth a motza. Still I'll keep looking and enjoy the history being found, the hobby itself and the chats with land owners.

1532498509_half_sov_1.jpg

1532498509_half_sov_2.jpg

1532498509_oct1_zpsmlzqryzp.jpg

1532498510_oct2_zpsrrq7r5fn.jpg

Latest posts