Potentially dodgy Gumtree bargains (Teknetics T2 & Garrett ProPointer)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grubstake

Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say for certain that these two are scams, so I won't link to them, but they certainly seem iffy to me:

1. There's a Teknetics T2 in South Australia, said to be in 'very good condition', for just $450! If the bargain price alone (RRP $1,195) isn't enough to flash warning signs, please note that the T2 is supposedly one of the most common counterfeit detectors in the world, the original having proved very popular in Africa and attracted the Chinese fakers. Maybe this particular one is genuine, but fakes have previously been found in Australia, so please examine any closely before parting with your hard-earned.

2. There's some dubious Garrett ProPointers being offered around Perth this week, supposedly brand new, for $100. Yesterday, I made an appointment with 'Glenn' in Kardinya to go around today and see his, but he didn't text me back the address as promised. Today, 'Sandro' in Quinns Rocks (the other end of town), is advertising the very same ProPointer (serial number is visible in both adverts :) ), also for $100. There are videos on YouTube showing the variations between real and fake, so if you're in the market for a cheap ProPointer, I suggest you start by checking those out: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garrett+propointer+fake

Glenn's ProPointer (Monday advert):
1428401364_pp_monday.jpg

Sandro's Propointer (Tuesday advert):
1428401389_pp_tuesday.jpg

Good luck, Gumtree bargainhunters and please take care - it's a tricky (treacherous) world out there!

Today it's 'Sven' from Quinns Rocks who's selling a brand-new ProPointer for $100, this time without a serial number in view in the photos. :rolleyes:

"New in box. Only selling because I ordered 1 and received 2. Battery (9v) included. Texts only please. Can post Australia wide but buyer pays for postal charges."

Hmmm...

Pretty disappointing to think that people actually go out of their way to rip other people off. The word 'scumbag' comes to mind for people that can sleep at night knowing they're hurting hardworking honest people. Keep up the good work grubstake.

That Teknetics seems pretty dodgy to me...

The seller has multiple items listed and they are under 4 different names and 3 different phone numbers.

Of note is that Clare/Auburn is very close to the town that the counterfeit gold bug I bought came from....

Buyer beware on this crew!

Latest posts