Friday morning at the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulmarr

Paul
Reaction score
Today. Bogan and I had a three hour beach session with the repaired /newly improved sand scoop and the Sovereign GT fresh from Minelab.

Had a great day and here is what we found....

8F23A11E-162D-44D0-8034-69130AF6B3BA_zps5vrativ3.jpg

4101B2E0-E3BB-4D26-8282-53F443BC2517_zpsr2x10woh.jpg

7A026BAA-8A63-4D9B-8077-5AE460CB074D_zpsysdq2fjf.jpg

We got a total of 18 coins, a lead Indian, battleship and surf board.... 1 x Florin , 1 x Shilling, 2x six pence, 4 three pence, 3 x large pennies, 1x half penny - and a couple of brown buggers and a 10 cent piece - no gold though :(
Plus the regular junk targets, sinkers, etc
:cool:

Saturday morning so we had another hunt at another beach and here are the finds....

72208BD6-4C43-485E-9138-32B3BB172795_zps4uisl9wb.jpg

18 coins in total - 7 silvers inc 2 x shillings, 3 x six pence and 2x three pence - plus 3 large pennies - another battleship - another electroplated spoon and a key plus rubbish targets galore - 3 hours of fun!

D7255D97-11DF-47D2-94EC-6781FFF14313_zpsvjfrt39o.jpg

ED1720CF-4745-41E7-80EA-7EAC660A8224_zpssdanl2yz.jpg

The Excalibur vs the Sovereign GT was dead even today :)

Great finds there fellas...plenty of boats and Abbot reckons there hasn't been any for 100 days...lol

Still Looking said:
Great finds there fellas...plenty of boats and Abbot reckons there hasn't been any for 100 days...lol

Gee you where quick with that one Still Looking lol :lol:

Nice finds guys. ;)

Great coins guys, so what's the usual junk to good finds ratio with both machines, is one generally better than the other, and what amount are we talking about roughly? :)

Goldpick said:
Great coins guys, so what's the usual junk to good finds ratio with both machines, is one generally better than the other, and what amount are we talking about roughly? :)

I would have to say its pretty even. Junk to coin really depends on the amount of trash at the beach on the day. On a bad day could be 4 trash to 1 coin, on a good day 2 or 1 trash to 1 coin. Even finding the difference in tone with iron and a good target in the one hole which is increasing the coin count more than a month ago were I would have discounted it as iron all together.

To be honest they are pretty much the same machine if you are considering buying one. There are always gt sovereigns on eBay but not a lot of excaliburs.

Bogan beat me to it but I was going to say the machines are identical in technology while the Excaliber is waterproof the Sovereign GT has additional features allowing you to use it in soil as well as sand.

Trash to treasure is about 5 to 1 with me however I am learning the subtle differences between rubbish and treasure sound wise - where Bogan is better at that and digs more targets than me per hour. It really does depend on what trash is out there and what you are discriminating out. Both detectors found gold and silver rings so we aren't discriminating them out yet the number of pull tabs and bottle caps are very low compared to the days of the Xterra 705 and Garrett Ace 350. But it also comes down to who walks over it first. Detecting in the water is also a big difference in trash to treasure ratio.

Latest posts