My beach finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Team Bogan out tonight for a hunt - so windy it nearly blew me over but here are the finds anyway ...

8F56C23D-5916-42BF-A9D0-0C27B656DDC5_zpsezamwpkp.jpg

Got a few coins - only one 1940 three pence silver coin (#103) - sinkers , lead weights and a lead toy - a tank this time ....

85D42BA1-5ADD-4CEB-8359-D33E5D005BA1_zps7zbmoae1.jpg

Still very sanded in and now waiting for some good tidal movement ...

The junk

55BE7C94-417A-4875-9D04-FBEBF8FDA4AC_zpsgpiqhxpn.jpg

love that old tank toy as well, kid would have bawled all the way home after loosing that little beauty in the sand.

There must be a lot of people out there that ended up with lead poisoning as a child. I can see some poor kid sitting on the beach, sucking on his toy tank ingesting a good meal of heavy metals. :eek:

Goldpick said:
There must be a lot of people out there that ended up with lead poisoning as a child. I can see some poor kid sitting on the beach, sucking on his toy tank ingesting a good meal of heavy metals. :eek:

yeh, makes you wonder. iead soldiers etc, lead in paint-everywhere. they only started banning lead in paint about 20 years ago. kids teething, gnawing on their lead painted cot, even wooden toys . pass me a sinker, mmmm. :lol:

Not to mention all the lead nails and paint on your roof in the old days,.....leaching out with every downpour and then oxidising again to repeat the process slowly over and over again,.....filling up your fresh(ughh)water tanks,.....cots were painted with lead paint as well,....just look up at all those asbestos roofs still up there held on by oxidising lead nails,....blowing in the breeze,...at least the palm trees point which way it's heading in a big blow !

It has been awhile since I have been out detecting so Team Bogan ventured to another beach in search of treasure - here are our finds...

2BE25336-3093-49D2-B4DF-E2829E4C83B5_zpsci6ypwrl.jpg

A Hindu god statue - some keys - a cookie cutter and a buck o five was all there was ...

and a little junk

E1944F30-4539-4E22-92CE-AAC16D7C577D_zpsds9njyjo.jpg

Nothing to post ... I didn't really want to but I wanted to let you know we are still out there and the beaches are sanded in big time - no targets good or bad ... we went North last night and found the conditions to be the same right up the coast - we need a big blow to return the beaches to treasure areas again ... :(

I've been avoiding the beach like the plague, not unless there are a few hot days in a row, or we have a 1 in 100 year storm! :D

Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning saw Team Bogan out for another beach hunt ... And here are the finds ...

8CA79802-6396-48DE-98F3-15A722E3E472_zpshh8chfqs.jpg

As you can see green was the overarching colour tonight ... No gold but a real mix of everything...

Let's start out with the obligatory spoon, old fishing lure, sinkers, a key rock (set of keys embedded in a rock), belt buckle, 3 pins, a lead cowboy...

64474269-7BA3-4EA8-9AEB-D05435BD507E_zpsyrlzh9hz.jpg

And 38 coins - 14 pre-decimals including 5 Florins (the Sovereign found 4) and a shilling (#108) - but 26 copper coins in all :(

Very happy to get all the silver tonight!

0C7C157F-2EC0-4C61-8A1E-4EDD90F3AAA1_zpsotixyjja.jpg

Interesting florin rock! There is a half penny buried in the other side ...

74219E5B-18DB-4AAD-BAF5-EA3FB559D33D_zpsx8wknw1i.jpg

All in all an excellent hunt - beaches are about as sanded in as they can be but Bogan identified a change in a certain part of the beach which was where all the targets were found ... I hit a hole that I retrieved about 10 coins - it just kept giving up targets only to find more buried ... And the florin rock was right on top amongst others blending in!

A little junk ..

3A9D8AAE-C2A1-4586-85AC-DCCAFD35E2B1_zpshw8ltvy9.jpg

Excellent finds, just confirming Garry Drayton's philosophy, that even sanded in beach should not be an issue to make good finds - if you know and can read the beach. Well done guys!

Pilsner said:
Excellent finds, just confirming Garry Drayton's philosophy, that even sanded in beach should not be an issue to make good finds - if you know and can read the beach. Well done guys!

Yes Pilsner - that is what Gary says but his words seem contradictory ... on one hand he promotes reading the beach and recognising what has changed, but on the other hand critisises detectorists who detect at the same beach all the time. My way of thinking is if you go to a different beach on every hunt you may not get back to a location for several months - how in the world would you recognise the beach changes if you aren't there often enough to notice the differences?

I also think it largely depends on what type of beach you are detecting and where you live ... his comments may be valid in places like Florida or anywhere in the USA really - they have 300 million people dropping stuff and a long history of civilisation ... Australia is unpopulated in comparison and does not have the kind of beach traffic of lets say Daytona Beach - maybe Bondi or the Gold Coast may be similar but in little ol Adelaide if there are a few hundred people on the beach it is either Christmas holidays or 42 degrees out - busy traffic a couple of days a year...

And that is why you see that our finds are not all modern day coins and recent drops but stuff that has been undiscovered for many decades ... I think if all I found was moderns and recent drops I would have packed it in already (beach detecting that is). I really enjoy all the odd items we come across as well as the old silver coins and old gold and silver jewelry. I think only one or two of our ring finds were modern day 2Yk stuff - most of the rings are 30-70 years old.

Having said all that Garry Drayton is very successful and Bogan put me on to all his books which I find interesting and motivating! :)

Thanks to all for your encouraging comments on our Team Bogan hunts!

Very impressive, glad to see your neck of the woods is giving up its treasures. Any of the silvers worth cleaning up as keepers?

Cheers all . Gp most of the ones we find are heading to the scraper at the end of this year. We will be doing a final shot on the years finding

Hi GP - I don't think so - we will clean them up anyway but I have yet to find a "keeper" from the beach aside from my 1873 shilling which I will only keep as it is my oldest find to date. I have collected coins throughout my life and after many years came to the realisation that the only coins worth keeping/collecting that are not uncirculated or proof are the rare/key date coins. If a coin is common then only the best condition specimens retain or increase in value over time. Average circulated condition coins are not worth much more than scrap value. There are dealers around Adelaide you can go to today who will sell you average circulated condition silver coins for spot value + a small percentage - example is Bogan purchased a stack of Florins - 90% silver - $7 each and all were in superior condition compared to the beach finds.

We will scrap ours at the end of the year and if the price of silver is steady - probably get $6.50 or $7 per 90% Florin - so I look at it as we picked up about $20 odd dollars in scrap silver and had a wow of a time! I think we get more of a charge out of finding them knowing they are no longer being dropped and are uncommon to find.

Latest posts