Found this beauty in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done a lot of Bushwalking on and off tracks in all Australian States. The only time I have seen one was at Wilson Prom. 20 years ago with my blond niece. I told her they were rare and that she must of attracted it with here blond hair. It is not hard to pick one up if you can get your hands under it before it starts digging.

Looks to be more of a Blonde Echidna vs Albino?
Albino: From its fur to its pointy spines, it’s a brilliant white colour, with a pink snout and blue eyes.

Albino echidnas are rare, but not unheard of. Several years ago, an orphaned white echidna was rescued and re-homed at Symbio Wildlife Park, where he was named ‘Leo’ and has been known to hang around with a similarly rare white kookaburra.

Don’t confuse albino echidnas with the blonde echidnas of Flinders Island, though! Blonde echidnas are known for their light-coloured hair and spines, but they still retain pigmentation that echidnas like Leo do not. Blonde echidnas tend to still have dark noses and eyes, for example.
Ron's echidna appears to have the Blonde Echidna dark nose (grey), feet & eyes.
A true albino would have pink nose & feet + pink or blue eyes.

As per above the Blonde Echidnas are more common on Flinders Island & Kangaroo Island but are found on mainland areas too.

Either way it's a rare & nice animal to spot in the bush. A big brute too.

Yeah I paused it and looked, when in sunlight and not in shade, I thought his feet do indeed look pinker or lighter and so does the nose. So I still think it is indeed albino. Anyway, great find nonetheless. I have only seen one echidna out in the wild, and it was sleeping.
Is pinker a word? lol. Spell check seems to think it is. lol

Attachments

• Screenshot (99).png
    Screenshot (99).png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts