Fossicking Wee Jasper.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Once again there is NO FOSSICKING in the private leasehold on McPhersons Swamp Creek near Wee Jasper. It is Forestry but no permits will be given, and leaseholders do not want people on their property, today I was recorded and photographed by I person I have now told twice, that they are not permitted there. I am called a liar. Bush chick

Once again there is NO FOSSICKING in the private leasehold on McPhersons Swamp Creek near Wee Jasper. It is Forestry but no permits will be given, and leaseholders do not want people on their property, today I was recorded and photographed by I person I have now told twice, that they are not permitted there. I am called a liar. Bush chick
Seeing you've posted here 5 times about this then please explain why leaseholders don't want fossickers going there? What's the problem?

It's not really their land, they're just leasing it, right?

And why post here? It's probably not even anyone who is a member here.

Within Wee Jasper State Forest there is only some small areas of the whole forest where fossicking isn't permitted (shown in mauve):
Screenshot_20231031_135431_Samsung Internet.jpg

The only area under lease is the area north of Wee Jasper Rd (shown in blue):
Screenshot_20231031_140015_Samsung Internet.jpg

Having not been there I'm not sure where the best fossicking is ( @Heatho )? but it appears there is plenty of available & permitted area there?

Hey Matt, I've only been there once and that was for a picnic when staying in Canberra for a few days. I did have a quick look for the fossicking area but couldn't find it, better research needed on my part. This is what came up on minview. Seems the sapphire deposit is not in a "no fossicking zone". Would be great if napfa could look into getting the Tumut fossicking district extended out to Wee Jasper.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 09-08-08 MinView Regional NSW Mining Exploration and Geoscience.png

A long time ago, it was a favourite place for Canberra fossickers but from memory you had to enter via private property which 40 years ago was allowed but it was locked off after that. I hope things have changed because some very nice stones came out of McPhersons.

Hey Matt, I've only been there once and that was for a picnic when staying in Canberra for a few days. I did have a quick look for the fossicking area but couldn't find it, better research needed on my part. This is what came up on minview. Seems the sapphire deposit is not in a "no fossicking zone". Would be great if napfa could look into getting the Tumut fossicking district extended out to Wee Jasper.

View attachment 11610
Ahh.. ok. It appears (if the waypoint is correct) that one is on private property outside of the state forest.

Latest posts