Found In Circulation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1459492419_received_1093637077326228.jpg

Had a nice little surprise today when I saw this jingling around in the coin change tray at the 'do it yaself' checkouts at woolies :D

Might not be the rarest of coins but definitely one for the collection.

Interested know what a fault from the mint is worth. Have a 50 cent dated 2007 with reverse shield embossed on queens head. Cheers Coachie.

Great when someone else looks after a coin for you for 46 years and you get it for cash value ! :p 8) :cool:

My daughter called my attention to an unusual coin she got in her change today ... Looks like an ordinary twenty cent piece

356EAFE7-700E-4946-B95D-14504441B6C3_zpsvxgd9egg.jpg

1C497569-A7B7-4B2F-A075-55FA3B18209D_zpsbofo6vcd.jpg

But when you look at the rim ....

C183191B-D6F8-4ADF-B027-D93A632F0BCA_zpspqoqyr0q.jpg

3/4 of the ribbed edge is missing and it's also not uniform around the coin ... Even has part of the mule rim on the obverse ... Any ideas? Worth?

Balmain Bob said:
I received this coin in my change at the local pub this afternoon

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/739/1462869302_scan0002.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/739/1462869321_scan0003.jpg

I was very surprised to see a coin of this age in such good condition

obviously it hasn't been in circulation. Its come out of a money box somewhere. I asked the bar staff but they have know idea who put it across the bar

Uncanny ... I just got 2 of these tonight,in change from a vending machine

Quickly Sandta, they must have put a full roll(bag) of them into the machines change thingy, be quick, tight lipped, get em all from the machine and watch for more in circulation as you shop and buy in your local area, you too Paul (ya's are probably living right next door to the same vending machine), or, the coin supply place has just started using an older (2008) tub of coins out to banks, there may even be some new bags at the bank ( if only you new which bank the vending machine company uses), read the info on the machine, find the phone number for faults and services, then just ask them I suppose, tell them your a collector that chases down bags of new coins from banks and you just noticed a new coin out, come through one of their machines and your trying to track down its source bank so you can purchase some bags at face value.
there could be a run of these coins produced from the mint before they found the fault and fixed the press. :eek: 8) :cool:
ps. If you do find a whole bag of them, I'll put my order in for one coin now then pretty please. ;) :D :cool:

Yes Casper you are right,

My idea was that it is the queens head and a rams head on the same side of the coin . The rams head is not a reproduction of a coin but a facsimile
of the rams head featured on the shilling .

Just trying to be a bit light hearted. I have had a few at the beer emporium tonight.

If any one wants it PM me an address and I will send it to you.

First aussie coin not to have the queens head predominate on the obverse. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it looks like "cut -n-paste" to me Why didn't they just use the ram design on the reverse
Thanks , Brett

Latest posts