Found In Circulation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking through the coins in the till at the club where I am the bar manager, came across a double hit 50 cent. Shield has been minted on the obverse of a2006 issued coin. Thanks for the site ,I will now be checking all the coins I receive, cheers Coachie. Again this has come up on another site sorry about that.

Was checking my lose change this morning and found this $1 coin minted 2009.
You can see a circle running around the coin, you can follow the circle where it passes through roo 1s chest accross roo 5s back and and down roo 3s face.
A 5c coin fits perfectly within the ring and sits dead centre on the coin.

1459120513_2016-03-28_08.56.39.jpg

1459120539_2016-03-28_08.56.57.jpg

Any ideas whether this is a coin error during production? Or would/could this occur once in circulation.

Cheers

M3 :)

Ahh thanks RJ, yeah the photos dont really show depth of field which makes it hard.

To the naked eye their is a definite ring. Im just tryin to think how that sort of damage would occur post mint. We can only speculate :D

Any price idea on price of the below? (sorry I'm at work and my collection is at home stored away)

Dad scored one of these on an evening when he went to buy his cigarettes... He paid cash and the girl gave him the change with this in it. Dad knows I love coins and being super shiny and green he gave it to me! :D

1459224096_untitled.png

Don't even pass that over for someone else to hold, that's in all probability a value in the hundreds of thousands of dollars ,... a retirement note for sure if it's real tender. :p 8) :cool:

hmm I hope so but I doubt it
it will check out some of the currency dealers in the city and suss it out and give you the feedback.

got a US $10 ( very tattered ) with Abraham Lincoln on it dated 1862 sells on ebay for $150 / $300 in good condition.

still you never know

scotty

Bet it's not a 002 though (the american one).
And your Aussie 002 pound note looks like it spent its life in a book. (from here). :eek: :D

I have one of those $2 coins with the purple ring. Kept it when i was banking a lot of coins as i had never seen one.

Guess i should keep it?

scottlucky said:

That is a very old note if correct, The fact it is 002 could mean it was real early in the days, it could also mean that branch only?

Get a couple of opinions as well, it would take an expert in old colonial currency to know about this.

Here is another example - https://www.therightnote.com.au/product/the-bank-of-australasia-five-pound-1852/

This book would have the information you seek or you can email him, he is very passionate about old notes - Books for sale a complete history of Australian Pre Federation Banknotes circa 1817-1910. Author Michael Vort Ronald. Sale Price: $65.00.

Very nice find/gift...

Hi Silver
I was kept covered by a piece of cardboard that the relative had covered with some quotes and newspaper article that must have interested him at the time. One related to the best mare ever to race called Kincsem ( google it ) they were talking about the horses career. My guess 1880/90ish.
Westus thanks for getting the link and the book reference I happened to ask the question last night to both "the right note" as well a Downey's it will be interesting as to what they come back with.

I will chase up the book as well.

I will keep you posted.

Scotty

Avenged said:
Any price idea on price of the below? (sorry I'm at work and my collection is at home stored away)

Dad scored one of these on an evening when he went to buy his cigarettes... He paid cash and the girl gave him the change with this in it. Dad knows I love coins and being super shiny and green he gave it to me! :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5516/1459224096_untitled.png

Uncirculated coins are going for around $12 on ebay, circulated, a lot less. There were 1.9 million of those coins minted, the rememberance day $2 with the red poppy in the centre only has a mintage of 0.5 million, so might be worth looking out for.

scottlucky said:
Hi Silver
I was kept covered by a piece of cardboard that the relative had covered with some quotes and newspaper article that must have interested him at the time. One related to the best mare ever to race called Kincsem ( google it ) they were talking about the horses career. My guess 1880/90ish.
Westus thanks for getting the link and the book reference I happened to ask the question last night to both "the right note" as well a Downey's it will be interesting as to what they come back with.

I will chase up the book as well.

I will keep you posted.

Scotty

Interesting article in Trove on the formation of the bank and election of its board, and consideration for possible note designs for the bank. Looks like your note could well be one of the first produced, or even a "prototype" note considering the dating of this article (1858). Will be interesting to see what the experts come up with.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/7299096

Latest posts