Fossicking tool question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to split some rather large boulders at one of the local designated fossicking areas. I am aware of how the process goes for splitting boulders but my question is more about the equipment needed to do the job.

Would I be violating any rules if I used a cordless hammer drill to do the pilot holes for the feathers and wedges? Considering it is essentially a hand tool I would tend to think not but I would preffer to not cop a fine and potentially have my drill confiscated. Any thought's or experience in this area?

Hammer and cold chisel does the job,.... just work your line and rocks split nicely(mind you I split them to look good when I do, not to find gold).

Thanks for the reply silver. I have been using this method for smaller rocks and it has worked really well so far but these ones are 20-30 tonne boulders with crystal bearing vugs scattered over the surface. Unfortunately I was too late in finding them as most have been cleaned out but no-one has tried splitting the whole rock open yet. One can only imagine what might be inside. :D

Sneaky,
Battery powered tools are still considered power tools so you might be pushing the boundaries.
Richard

Before we had portable power to get to building sites we used a star drill and hammer. The bottom end is like a cross and carbide or tungsten tipped from memory. You just place it on the spot and rotate it as you hammer and it doesn't take too long to make a hole deep enough to take a ramset bolt. Perhaps 16x100mm.

1428494605_drill.jpg

Moneybox said:
Before we had portable power to get to building sites we used a star drill and hammer. The bottom end is like a cross and carbide or tungsten tipped from memory. You just place it on the spot and rotate it as you hammer and it doesn't take too long to make a hole deep enough to take a ramset bolt. Perhaps 16x100mm.

I figured there would be a way to do it without power but I wouldn't have known where to start looking. Thanks heeps for that info moneybox!!

SneakyCuttlefish said:
Moneybox said:

I figured there would be a way to do it without power but I wouldn't have known where to start looking. Thanks heeps for that info moneybox!!

I'd like to use explosives............ but I know I can't so will just dream about it. :(

explosives are very noisy... today they use a special medium mixed with water, pour it in the hole and wait...no explosion so nice and quiet.. the mix expands as it sets and breaks the rock... think one brand is spandex or similar... google it up.. :)

kawman said:
explosives are very noisy... today they use a special medium mixed with water, pour it in the hole and wait...no explosion so nice and quiet.. the mix expands as it sets and breaks the rock... think one brand is spandex or similar... google it up.. :)

C'mon Kawman, the boom is half the fun. Was only joking though mate, explosives in untrained hands could leave you , well.......... with no hands.

That expander really would be great though, hmmmm I wonder, it's not a mechanical means or explosive or pneumatic, I wonder if it could technically be legal for fossicking. :)

Awesome stuff.

Anyone know where to get a set of these star drills? It turns out to be no where near as easy to find as I thought.

Dont think so jaros, I have never seen them and I have squandered years of my life trawling the shelves of every hardware for new tools

I get the feeling this kind of tool is either not made anymore or is only used in specialized trades. There are some on e-bay from america but they only go up to 1/2 inch. I'm after 3/4 inch. Might have to get some custom made.

Latest posts