Fossicking Road Trip & Holiday - HELP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got the gem and crystal fever and I am starting to plan a road trip/holiday.
Me an my 7 year old son are really loving getting out and washing rocks.
I want to go to the Mount Shadwell quarry so bad to get some peridot/olivine.
What else could I do if I am going that way in the way of fossicking and towns etc
I am coming from Canberra and don't mind a of the beaten track style road trip over the course of 7-10 days

Cheers Dan

Hi Dan,
Hope your trip goes well, the latest issue go Gem & Minerals (or Treasure?) has an article on the green stuff from around Mt Shadwell and also mentions Mt Franklin near Hepburn Springs/Daylesford for crystals of some sort.
The creeks around will provide you with 'small' bits of gems, never tried it seriously but have collected enough to start filling a small vial .... it IS small but will keep the youngsters happy.
Good Luck, let us know how you get on.
Cheers Tom

If you are heading down to Mt Shadwell then swing by Mooralla and have a look around for the lovely double terminated smoky quartz that's found there. Your road trip is too short for some really deep digging required at Mooralla but there is often some nice finds by specking the overburden.

Have a look at the Warrnambool Gem Club's website regarding access to Mt Shadwell.

http://members.westvic.com.au/wgemclub/fossicking.html

Good luck & Happy fossicking

Hope you guys know that Nundle Diamonds are actually Quartz crystals and not Diamonds. I'm not exactly sure where they are but the state forest near Hanging Rock is the general area where they are located.

Latest posts