Fossicking,Faceting and Fun.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm fossickeract (Ted), been reading the site for quite some time and decided I might have something to contribute. Live in Canberra ,member of the Canberra Lapidary Club been on ALF for years and spend much of my spare time fossicking for gemstones and faceting what I find. Fossicked many places, locally Grabben Gullen, Macpherson's Creek, Kangaroo Valley, Eden etc. Farther afield Mud Tank, Harts Range, Fullerton River, Mt Surprise, Chudley Park and I get to Minerama in Glen Innes most years.
Faceting, its a hobby, I like to contemplate a promising find for months, mull over its possibilities, and take my time to get it right. I also like to experiment, take an unknown identify it, and try different cuts to look at its potential. So nooo I won't cut someones perfect cornflower dogtooth by Christmas, the stress would be unbearable!
I will try to post some examples of work I have done especially of local finds in threads where appropriate. Regards Ted

Welcome to the forum Ted.

Looking forward to looking at some of your accomplishments.

What kind of faceting machine do you work with and do you have a favourite cut?

Hey Ted,

Welcome. Seems like you have plenty to offer in the way of advice and knowledge.

Will be interested to see some of your work.

Cheers

Welcome aboard Ted, I'm sure you'll fit right in here and I look forward to reading your posts.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thankyou Nugget et all,
I use a Gemmaster GF4 but modified by a former owner who was a competition cutter, pressure gauge, solid SS mast and base planned to perfection by an engineering works. Yes I'll load some pics when I sort it out.
:) Ted
1408172840_gg_party_sapphire_without_dust_2-optimized.jpg

My favourite cut fora Grabben Gullen sapphire.

Gday Ted, I'm not a cutter but I like lookin at the stones, might try it myself one day when I get the chance.

Welcome to the forum Ted and good to see an experienced Gem Cutter amongst our midst. You'll find the folk on here a friendly bunch and the information priceless. Look forward to your many stories and some pics of your cut stones.

Cheers Wal.

Thankyou all. I get to the club on Thursdays and we have an auction on at the social meeting next week. Been away but might post some more next week. Cheers Ted

Latest posts