newbie with fossickers fever

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all, im a young bloke. fairly new to fossicking. have been up to sapphire CQ fossicking a few times (my mum has a claim there) and absolutely love spending the few weeks a year I get up there digging in the creek or at big Bessie. my best find so far would be either 5ct cutter which created a beautiful 1.2ct blue sapphire with a yellow edge on one side. though last trip I found a 92ct beautiful big one still unsure as to cut table or not has visible colour on a couple sides buts it's so chunky it may be either a bomb or very deep blue, yet to be checked by a jeweler.

anyway I have just got into gold panning and exploring more recently as it's closer to home on the sunshine coast. have been panning at deep creek, total bust! 2 tiny flakes. went to prophet mine and found 2 nuggets over 1 gram and around another gram in small pickers over a few hours so that was great fun.
is there any days that groups go out detecting I would love to learn all I can aboutbold prospecting and love being out in the bush regardless of wether I find a 10 ounce nugget or a total bust. adventure is the prize.

blayke

Welcome Blayke, lots to learn on here mate and it's a great community aswell, I too live on the Sunshine Coast and would be keen to meet up for some day trips around the place in the future too, enjoy your stay and hope to see your post regularly on the threads!
Cheers,
Sam

Welcome aboard blayke sounds like off to a flying start mate. Would love to see some pics of your Sapphires in the Gemstone show and tell section ;)

Cheers

Col

Welcome to the forum Blayke. You've got the right attitude to get you a long way in the prospecting world. When you put the hunt and the fun ahead of the finds, then the reward will always be satisfying on many levels.

Sounds like you've already got a handle on the hobby, and i wish you every success with it.

Best of luck out there and look forward to following your adventures,

Cheers Wal.

BigSam said:
Welcome Blayke, lots to learn on here mate and it's a great community aswell, I too live on the Sunshine Coast and would be keen to meet up for some day trips around the place in the future too, enjoy your stay and hope to see your post regularly on the threads!
Cheers,
Sam

thanks sam, definately. send me a pm if you wanna plan something im definately keen

no worries colin i will post some up asap after getting the hang of the forum :)

hi mick thanks yeh ive heard of 7 mile but i had heard it had been mostly mined out. 4wd is fine sometimes i have access to borrowing the in-laws but other than that i dont mind a few k's walk in nature!

thanks wal. im a big fan of your youtube page! love it. my cousin and i are planning a trip to warwick in the next few weeks and basing our highbanker design off your vids ;). the hunt is the fun part providing something small (or large lol) pops up every now and then but to be honest even the 2 tiny flakes i found at gympie got me excited :)

thanks for the welcome :)

Latest posts