Fisher Gold bug 2 or Gold Bug pro vs Garrett AT Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having a hard time making the choice between the three mentioned , I will be using it for chasing small gold around reef mines .

not to confuse things further but given the purpose have you looked at whites gmt? very sensitive my only complaint is maybe too sensitive does yiur head in sometimes. some of the old diggers I know swesr by the at gold I believe the gb 2 is very simikar to the gmt withoutvthe black sand meter. im sure to if you post your question is the right area under detectors / garrett you will get more responce from those who check tgst area good luck

I haven't used the Gold Bug 2 or Pro so unfortunately can't comment on those, but I own an AT Gold and can highly recommend it.

Take a look at the following topics which should give you a general idea about the machine. If you have any specific questions relating to the AT Gold just ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

A quick overview
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13862#p13862

Gold found with an AT Gold
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1143
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=945

Many more topics about this machine can be found under the Garret section of the forum https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=33

Nugget.

Hey all!

My name is Richard, I live on the West Coast of Tasmania, and I'm new to prospecting. I've been researching metal detectors for gold, and have come across two which appear to get positive reviews:

1) Fisher Gold Bug Pro
2) Garrett AT Gold

Would anyone be able to provide their thoughts as to what might be the better of the two detectors for a newbie such as myself? If you have any recommendations on an alternative detector, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

-Richard

The AT Gold is waterproof which is handy if you want to water hunt and the Gold Bug has a bit of history in the prospecting world, not so much as other machines but it has one just the same.

G'day Richard and welcome to the forum. Depends what your budget is, really good gold detectors generally cost between $2000 to $10000. The best ones are made by minelab, models from the SD2200 all the way to the new GPZ7000. The simplest and most effective detector for newbies would have to be the SDC2300, it's basically a switch on and go detector, it's very sensitive but costs about $3000 to $4000.

M<ost people who want to find gold will sometimes start with a cheaper detector and then selling it to upgrade to a minelab. There are many factors to take into consideration. Anyway don't be put off, I'm sure you'll get more replies in this thread from people with way more experience than me.

Cheers

Haven't tried the garrett but ive had a fisher goldbug 2 for a few years and have had some good success with it. Apparently better on small gold than the gold bug pro. Good luck mate

Ridge Runner said:
The AT Gold is waterproof which is handy if you want to water hunt and the Gold Bug has a bit of history in the prospecting world, not so much as other machines but it has one just the same.

Thanks for your replies here- very helpful. I'm trying to stick under $1000 for the detector otherwise I'd consider some of the more expensive options. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here, and nice to be a part of the forum :)

Save your money,buy a Pi not a vlf for gold,I've been there done that.My experience you buy the vlf because it's cheaper, you go to a gold field with your mate who has a Pi he finds gold you don't, so I'll sell my vlf to buy a Pi, I should of bought a Pi in the first place,(yes).A secondhand sd2200 would cost under $2000 if you get a bargen,when I used my vlf Teknetics G2pro plus there 11inx 5in gold coil I was very disappointed.I decided then to get a Pi since then I bought a SDC2300 and found 3 nuggets.Then you have to sell your vlf to fund your Pi.Mt 2cts worth. Thanks

The Gold Bug Pro is a good machine and is easy to use.

Be very careful sourcing one on eBay - there are several sellers of fake machines and you'll blow your dough.

Also consider the Gold Bug DP. If your budget extends to a Gold Bug 2 then you cannot go wrong - again though be careful where you buy it.

Steve Hershbach's website has some good info on various detectors, you will find more specific info in the link below on both the Goldbug Pro and Garrett AT Gold.

Another couple of detectors you might want to consider include the Nokta Impact, Makro Gold Racer, and Makro Racer 2. Site sponsor Phasetech sell these along with a good range of accessories and coils.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...tal-detectors-metal-detecting-accessories.htm

300 said:
Save your money,buy a Pi not a vlf for gold,I've been there done that.My experience you buy the vlf because it's cheaper, you go to a gold field with your mate who has a Pi he finds gold you don't, so I'll sell my vlf to buy a Pi, I should of bought a Pi in the first place,(yes).A secondhand sd2200 would cost under $2000 if you get a bargen,when I used my vlf Teknetics G2pro plus there 11inx 5in gold coil I was very disappointed.I decided then to get a Pi since then I bought a SDC2300 and found 3 nuggets.Then you have to sell your vlf to fund your Pi.Mt 2cts worth. Thanks

Thanks for the tip 300- looks like I'll need to do much more research...

BobDigger said:
The Gold Bug Pro is a good machine and is easy to use.

Be very careful sourcing one on eBay - there are several sellers of fake machines and you'll blow your dough.

Also consider the Gold Bug DP. If your budget extends to a Gold Bug 2 then you cannot go wrong - again though be careful where you buy it.

Thanks very much for the tip- I've seen lot's of knockoffs on eBay- looks like I can get a Gold Bug Pro 2 coil combo on Amazon, shipped to AUS for the equivalent of $977 AUD. Thanks!

Goldpick said:
Steve Hershbach's website has some good info on various detectors, you will find more specific info in the link below on both the Goldbug Pro and Garrett AT Gold.

Another couple of detectors you might want to consider include the Nokta Impact, Makro Gold Racer, and Makro Racer 2. Site sponsor Phasetech sell these along with a good range of accessories and coils.

Hello Goldpick- thanks very much for your reply, and great link you've posted- looks like the Gold Bug Pro receives a great recommendation

I'll say it again,I have a Teknetics G2Pro it is the same detecter as The Gold Bug just a few things different but the same detecter and I was very disappointed with its ability on Warwick gold fields.

Latest posts