First time detecting for Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmuss

Danny
Reaction score
Hi guys

Need some advice or tips on using a Garrett AT Gold detector in rivers or ground around Turon Gates, Me and the miss are going here for a few days and planning on doing some metal detecting.
We have never searched gold before only Relics and Coins, so any advice or tips to help find our first gold nugget or flake or gold boulder would be grateful :cool:

Love Turon Gates, plenty of spots to detect around there. You may find a lot of junk but its certainly in gold country. Last time I was up there swinging the detector I uncovered 2 miners picks buried about 1 foot under. Not to mention the 5 trout I nailed in about as many casts.......wont give up that spot in a hurry as a few km makes a massive difference. First 2 days didn't see any trout...then I found the secret Trout spot. Unbelievable!

Id suggest taking a pan and doing a bit of crevicing if ur into that. If ur just detecting, small nuggets have been found not far from the first river crossing. Look for any dirt disturbances...those nuggets were obtained from a pile of dirt shifted by the Manager laying some new pipework right near the cabins!

Awesome mate. Can't wait to try it out, just booked my nights with sonya. Very nice woman. Il be happy to find anything with history or a 00.1g gold bit lol.

Hey Danmuss, please let us know how you go there. Looks like a great place to spend a week or two. Seems to have it all.

Golddiga said:
Hey Danmuss, please let us know how you go there. Looks like a great place to spend a week or two. Seems to have it all.

Yeh it looks really good, covers all from cabin beside the lake, bushwalking, prospecting, canoeing lol cant wait, booked in already for 22/9/15 for 3 nights, cant wait to hit the road, cant wait to use the AT Gold somewhere different :cool:

Il post my reviews and finds if any

Found this one in the river cobbles when I was up that way with Heatho a couple of months back.

1439113207_image.jpg

It was just in a pile of river rock on the edge of the river, found a big chunk of coal as well, so keep your eyes peeled for anything that looks unusual.

I was hoping for a nice chunk of Quartz laced with gold but considering the elevation of the area is near 1000m above sea level and it was once on the bottom of the ocean, has weathered and rolled down the river, it makes it a special find for me. You have to marvel at the power of nature sometimes.

Yeh i agree, Nature itself and how it works amazes me, anything found unusual gets me excited every time! thanks for the heads up on this, gives us more to adventure on when we are there.

How much did your get your detector for because I'm going to Turon in the school holidays and I'm looking for a detector this model sounds good but I don't have a lot of money

Hi Flash

i Have the Garrett AT Gold and its a good detector cause it covers most prospecting from Coin, relics and gold thats why i got it, brand new its around $1100 and second hand around $700- $850. if this is your budget to place a post WTB AT Gold and you might get lucky from someone here

Latest posts