First pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first pan finally come on the mail after the long weekend! 12' estwing was 23$ on ebay not to bad.

Ok I live close to warrendyte but don't mind travelling around a hour. Any good recommendations of going somewhere? For my first time panning thanks heaps
1398132444_image.jpg

Know you would be very eager to get out and try it out but a good idea, my be to practice in the backyard or at your local creek with just some tiny bits of lead shavings ....... mix them in with muck from the ground/creek and pan that off till you get the hang of it, you'll be surprised at the help a few bakyard sessions will have when out doing it for real .... don't underestimate how small some of the gold found in creeks actuall is.
(I make a silly assumption you haven't panned before ... if you have disregard my comments and go get it).
The Estwing seems as good as any but I fing it more difficult (compared to the Garrett) to see the 'black sand' accumulating, just personal preference.
Good luck Tom

Thanks for the reply tom and sounds like a good idea!! When I so decide to go though I'm thinking of maybe going for a drive for a chance to find some actual gold!! Just gotta reaserch abit more to see where I can go to get some gold!

Try looking up Warrandyte in the search function it should bring up a number of earlier posts related to that area, I'm sure there are members who have done OK in your local area.
Good Luck, Tom

liam1994 said:
My first pan finally come on the mail after the long weekend! 12' estwing was 23$ on ebay not to bad.

Ok I live close to warrendyte but don't mind travelling around a hour. Any good recommendations of going somewhere? For my first time panning thanks heaps https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2856/1398132444_image.jpg

G'day mate. I also live close to Warrandyte and would be happy to meet you to give your pan a test run. There is definitely gold there so don't have to travel too far to practice. :) just PM me to set up time.

thansk beagleboy i will be thinking of going up soon! ill defs pm you

i have to get my claissifier done first! cheers

liam1994 said:
thansk beagleboy i will be thinking of going up soon! ill defs pm you

i have to get my claissifier done first! cheers

If you want to get some sieves, go to Aussie disposals. They only cost about $50.

i found with the estwing its actually incredibly easy to get down to fines. work it down to about a small fist of material then switch to the small riffles and continue panning till u start to see the black sand moving into the riffles....once you get the hang of it its actually very easy to also pan off the lights and quite hard to make the fine gold move even one step down the small riffles.....good luck

Latest posts