First outing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a spare hour or so yesturday so went to a creek in broadford, only got to pan about half a bucket worth. First ever pan got a little excited abit to quickly hahahha found a lead shot that's about all.

I think I was finding the black sand? Does it have a shine in the sun like a blueish tinge? Also is it worth time panning somewhere where no one ever goes and not really known to have gold? What are the chances of getting a small piece? Thanks

Good stuff, if the lead shot is in your pan then you are doing something right, black sand should be the last thing in your pan, you will know it when you see it.

Creeks with no known gold are still worth checking too..you just never know.

Thanks Sam. I think it was black sand it was very fine stuff and last thing in the pan, not sure what kind of material to look for yet though. There was a big racon face on the river bed and I just got it off that. Might go back sometime soon. I'm guessing the lead shot was out of a shotgun shell or somthing

My advice from my short amount of time in this game is to try in known gold bearing areas. This will greatly enhance your chances of finding some of that elusive colour. In the numerous books I have read on the subject they all tell you the same thing. This is not to say there is definitely no colour any where else but your greatly increasing your chances in going to those areas known to hold gold.

There is surely somewhere close by that should have gold, do a little research and you will be seeing colour in no time.

Cheers,
Matt

Latest posts