black buckets with rock on top

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Sofala for 3 days on the spur of the moment, asked at Sofala Gold when could I do a tour, and was told I had to make a booking for about 2weeks ahead. Back at the campsite talking to a chap he said he does tours and would take me out and show me how to do panning. This was the first time out with all the gear that I had.

We got to the place and it was a great 3hrs and I learnt a lot, I have been watching youtube videos but there is nothing like hands-on.

He had black buckets turned upside in various places with rocks on top where he had panned gold and said this marks his spots so when he comes back the next day his spots are nothing taken by other people he had been there for about 4 weeks.

My question is this a common thing?

I got about 40 pieces of gold and was wrapped. ....... thanks norm

Yes you do see this from time to time. And most respect it as such. cheers :Y:

Interesting.

In Queensland we are limited to declared fossicking areas that are open to any licenced fossicker.

I am aware that if you roll up to a dig site and there are digging tools in a hole....then someone is already there on site and it is courteous NOT to move their stuff and dig the same spot.

However....if there is no-one (that is ...no one on site) in the area I am not aware that marking a spot (buckets with rocks on top or any other means) is either legal, practical or respectful to other fossickers.

If this was the case you could wander around....mark spots you want to dig and then go away and that prevents others having a go.

So in my view...mark your spot if you are on site and actively digging....but dont expect to mark it and leave to come back another day and somehow 'reserve' the spot.

What do ya'all think???

I leave two sticks crossed over a dig I am working.

If I see the same or some thing marked, I leave it alone
out of sheer respect.

Called common courtesy.

if there are a few around in the same area, I pick a spot
between them as some one has found some thing so saving
me from a lot of prospecting. Being careful I do not get the
blame for doing some thing wrong. ie; Take some photo's.

After I have finished, You would be hard pressed after a few
days to find where I was.

in the gem fields here in queensland it is common practice to leave a bucket with a rock on it in the hole you are working ,as tathrad said common courtesy not to dig a working hole .

i agree with and use the method while there, but some people think it is allright to leave it there till next year which i think it is wrong for 2 reasons

1) they have not filled their holes
2) what if they don't return for 2 or 3 years

fair enough if you are still there working the hole but if you go home, then all bets are off

Interesting question, from my perspective which is the Gemfields, leaving a marker if you are planning on returning the next day or day after would be fine, but a week or a month... No that's not playing the game, it's like trying to tell everyone you have a micro lease for use when ever you want. Dust on top of the bucket should give an indication if it's been there for a while.

that's right dihuski ,there are plenty of signs to say how long a bucket has been there ,i have a bit of a chuckle with some of them putting up keep out signs on the hole ,not that it worry's me as i have a area i go to ,and fill the hole at the end each stay
i have had no one dig there as the hole is filled, it is one way of keeping your hole for the next visit

billy boulders stacked beside the hole ready to go back in
1620948007_gem_hole.jpg

sieve wash beside the hole ready to get dragged over the billy boulders with the pelican pick
1620948140_gem_hole_1.jpg

Latest posts