First impressions of the GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok before I start let me say:

1: I am no expert and these are my opinions and mine only
2: I have owned a GPZ (for 18 months) so any comparisons I make between the 4500 and 7000 come from my own experience
3: Anything I say may be subject to change as my experience with the 4500 grows.

My setup: GPX4500 with Coiltek 17x11 Elite

I have to say I was quite impressed. I had prepared myself to be a little disappointed after having used the 7000 but I was in for a surprise. I managed to get it to run very quiet although the ground balance was no way near as good. I had to ground balance quite often compared to the Z. I am sure this will quickly just become habit. Also it didnt balance out clay pockets as easily although I did find that by flicking it over to 'deep' it would balance out clay ground noise quickly.

As for sensitivity - using a chunky little 1/2gm test nugget I got as good an air test as the 7000 - maybe even a fraction better (only slightly) but on small prickly speccies it was no where near as good. Now I didnt try to adjust for better signal on the smaller stuff because I wanted to cover the ground for deeper big targets but I am sure I could tweak it to get better performance on the small stuff. My only issue is I am sure the depth will suffer if I do. I do have a NF 14x9 Evolution coil on its way so that will help with the smaller stuff.

The harness that comes with the GPX is no where near as good as the Pro Swing harness with the Z. I found that the bungee cord pulled down on my shoulder whereas the J struts on the pro swing distributed the weight better. I think a hipstick would definitely help. Also my arm is a little sore (I know you are all calling me a soft cock now but I will get some concrete during the week lol) from twisting the detector to run the soil over the edges of mullock heaps and slopes. I am thinking I may fit a guide arm like on the 7000 for when I have the bigger coil on.

Anyway we didnt find any gold on this trip as Alex and I were investigating a new area but it did give me a chance to try the new machine out. I managed to pick up tiny shards of rusted metal (same as 7000) and rubbish (ie .22 shell casing) down almost 2ft. This has given me hope that while the 4500 will never be a 7000, by using a combination of coils, lots more ground balancing and playing with settings, I will find gold with it!

Hi Steelpat
Glad you are finding the 4500 surprisingly good.
By all reports I've seen, the 7000 is definitely better on prickly gold and species.
However the 45 is very very good on nuggety gold.
I take it you were running in fixed ground balance. Keep in mind the 7000 runs auto ground balance, but correct me if I'm wrong. If what I say is correct this would explain your comparative need to ground balance regularly. You can switch to auto tracking which I do when the ground mineralisation is highly variable. However I believe fixed gives you better depth and is my preferred choice.
I used the standard harness to start with my 45, then due to shoulder and neck pain added a hip stick but this did not satisfactorily solve my discomfort. I've now upgraded to a Proswing harness with double struts, cross bar, and have recently added the control arm. It is the way to go for us older detectorists. I don't have any specific back or neck pain now. However do get all over aches and pains which I put down to just being 55.
Hope you hit some gold soon.
Cheers Dig'n-it

In my opinion the 4500 is a beast Iv used the garrett atx ,the 5000 and the 4500 and found most of my gold the 4500..not knocking the 5000 at all. I know a few people with the 7000 but I'm yet to see it out perform the 4500 or the 5000 I'm sure it can .well you would hope so for the price but I'm not convinced yet ..cheers

Well pat I've just done the same also , and very happy that I did , the heaviness gone of my back and the burden taken of my shoulders . :/
I'm using the factory coil, and a nugget finder 18 spoked coil .

I would say over all the machine is a piece of cake to use.

The thing that spins me out I don't think even minelab know what the go is with the 7000 , One man says this , Johnathon porter says that, ferrite rings . It doesn't seem like a sure product , tree roots sounding like targets . I've been to tree noises with the 45 not even a peep but had the z all Gaga .
I thought the tech jump backwards would be noticeable but I'm not real concerned after reading threads like user minelab golds epic story and his instructional vids . Killed any bad thoughts I had about it .
As you said clay pockets are the new issues but I'll try your method of cycling over to deep.

Are you running speaker or head phones ?

Cheers mick

Mickkat12 said:
Well pat I've just done the same also , and very happy that I did , the heaviness gone of my back and the burden taken of my shoulders . :/
I'm using the factory coil, and a nugget finder 18 spoked coil .

I would say over all the machine is a piece of cake to use.

The thing that spins me out I don't think even minelab know what the go is with the 7000 , One man says this , Johnathon porter says that, ferrite rings . It doesn't seem like a sure product , tree roots sounding like targets . I've been to tree noises with the 45 not even a peep but had the z all Gaga .
I thought the tech jump backwards would be noticeable but I'm not real concerned after reading threads like user minelab golds epic story and his instructional vids . Killed any bad thoughts I had about it .
As you said clay pockets are the new issues but I'll try your method of cycling over to deep.

Are you running speaker or head phones ?

Cheers mick

Too be honest I still think the 7000 is a better machine (at this stage anyway) and I will be getting another one once the finances allow.

I always run headphones. I am not a young man any more so I need all the advantages I can get when it comes to hearing.

regards
Pat

Comments like this makes me think if I should really spend 11.000 AUD!!! for GPZ with the new coil or spend it for camping gear or 4wd instead and keep swinging GPX??
But whoever already purchased GPZ doesn't regret it from what I red.

Luke said:
Comments like this makes me think if I should really spend 11.000 AUD!!! for GPZ with the new coil or spend it for camping gear or 4wd instead and keep swinging GPX??

I would not have sold my 7000 if finances had allowed. I still think its the best machine available. That being said, I think the 4500 is excellent value for money and, with the right coil combination and in the hands of an experienced operator, will get a lot of the gold that the 7000 can get. Prickly reefy gold is where the 7000 excels. The GPX series will struggle to pick up that type of gold at depth where as the 7000 will find it clear as a bell.

Luke said:

I will purchase one at the gpz8000 series or something like that , then I'll feel comfy to say all bugs are ironed out.

Latest posts