First gold.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard70au

Richard
Reaction score
After swinging the minelab eureka gold for six months with no luck I decided to look into getting on a weekend course to see what I was doing wrong. After looking through the Australian Gold Gem and Treasure magazine I noticed that there was a course being held in the Bendigo area, the wife and I are travelling around and were at a mates place in Ballarat.
After a call to Andrew at Golden Triangle Tours, I was booked in for the course. We moved along to Dunolly an got a spot in the van park.
Arrived at the location for the course on Saturday morning and met up with some of the other guys on the course, two from North Queensland, one from The South Coast of NSW and the rest were from the local areas around Bendigo.
Andrew and the team run a great course and it wasn't long before I was realising what I was doing wrong. Lots to learn by doing a course like this.
Day two had us out in the field, I was keen to sort out my eureka detector and find some of the good stuff, after sorting out the settings and having a play we decided that something didn't seem right and for the life of me I couldn't seem to ground balance the detector.
Andrew suggested I have a go with one of his GPX 5000, what a great machine and 45 minutes later I had my first ever nugget, it is no Welcome Stranger at 0.2g, but I was over the moon.
I have now traded in the eureka gold and purchased a GPX 4800.
We will now spend a couple of weeks here in Dunolly to get some more cash in the bank, hopefully helped along by the yellow stuff.

:)

well i guess its a good feeling in a way that you have found it wasnt you that was the issue but the equipment. i have found the same for myself with beach detecting and once you have the right stuff, nothing can stop you! Good luck mate and i look forward to seeing your welcome home nuggets ;)

Well done and congratulations.

Just wondering what you were doing wrong and what you learnt.

On day 2 when you found that nugget did you all go out for a drive out in the Bush and find a spot with your new

found knowledge or did you prospect on private land?

Thanks

G'day Richard swifty I was on the course with you I agree it was a great course and I learnt alot well worth it I can't wait to get to hill end at Easter and put my new knowledge to the test it did not take you long to trade up have you got anything with the new one yet the company was great on the weekend it was good to meet you and I hope your trip goes well and you find a bit of colour hope to see you on the field again

Hey Richard, was that your ugly dial in a maroon 4WD in the main drag in Dunolly around 1.15pm today (Friday).
Was going to stop but had an appointment in Maldon at 2pm.

Reeks said:
Well done Richard.
Could you explain what you were doing wrong?
Reeko

G'day Reeks,

My major mistakes was wild big swings, instead of low and slow. Also had the threshold to high on the machine so the target sound has no where to go, have slowed the swing and set up the detector correctly and now things work fine.

Cheers

Wolfau said:
Well done and congratulations.

Just wondering what you were doing wrong and what you learnt.

On day 2 when you found that nugget did you all go out for a drive out in the Bush and find a spot with your new

found knowledge or did you prospect on private land?

Thanks

G'day Mate,

Day two we went to a private field.

Cheers

Redfin said:
Hey Richard, was that your ugly dial in a maroon 4WD in the main drag in Dunolly around 1.15pm today (Friday).

G'day Redfin,

It could have been me mate, if you see the big red patrol with a blue and grey spacecase on the roof it would be me.

We will be here in Dunolly till the end of the month.

Cheers :)

richard70au said:
Redfin said:

G'day Redfin,

It could have been me mate, if you see the big red patrol with a blue and grey spacecase on the roof it would be me.

We will be here in Dunolly till the end of the month.

Cheers :)

Yep was you then, saw the cases.
Will be up there again in a few days for a week or so.
Will definately be at the pub for tea friday night.

Well done richard70au, only went a week ago myself seems like forever, can't wait to put a couple of rest days together, to hit the bush again after reading your post, Scrubby

Well done mate feeling digging your first head up new bridge red past lanacouri
Caravan park about a couple km turn left into the forest .I've found some good pieces
Last year in there .Dr :)

Hey Richard swifty again mate got back from hill end over Easter found the first one just under a gram great feeling my wife and I were together when we found it it was really good still finding a lot of bullets but were talking about our next trip back to Victoria a lot of planing so looking forward to it catch up soon mate

That's great swifty good to see you found a piece was it shallow , I also found a little piece on some old diggings that looked to have been gone over pretty hard but the sadie came good, that coil just blows me away at it's sensitivity, went into Hillend on Easter Sunday and couldn't believe the amount of people wandering about, I have never seen that many people there in my life.
lab

Good to see you got everything sorted out. I walked a lot of miles not finding anything and it is very disheartening. You start doubting yourself and if what you are doing is right, then you blame the machine you are using. I never realised how much a "mental" thing detecting is.

Latest posts