Finds from Kuridala

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1433902523_img_4255.jpg

1433903188_rsz_gopr0128.jpg

1433903382_img_4256.jpg

1433903971_rsz_img_4243.jpg

1433903971_rsz_img_4227.jpg

So that is what the expression 'hot rocks' means :cool:

That is one nice cluster you are holding

Next1m8 said:
What is it? Amathest? I'm no good with gems
Yeah mate they are amethyst, found some clear quarts as well but not as nice as these :)

Cheers guys had heaps of fun digging them out. Just hope nobody finds my spot before i get back :|

Hi there

Me and my boyfriend have lived in Cloncurry for just over a year. We are new to the gem fossicking world and had our 2nd day trip to Kuridala last Sunday. OMG!! I am amazed at the amethyst you found there in June. 100% blown away!!

We found lots of smaller amethyst, single ones and little clusters in the diggings that were already there & new ones we made with the mattock. Some amethyst were clear but majority quite cloudy. We tried going up high in the gully, down low in the creek bed and digging at different depths but did not get anything even close to the colour or size of the ones you found. We found a tunnel which was maybe 3m into the side of the hill but was hesitant to go in there fearing possibly collapse.

We plan on going back to Kuridala around Christmas for maybe a night or two. Any tips or tricks you would like to share would be much appreciated. Also, how did you get your amethyst so clean? I've been told to soak them in Rust Off which I'm told with get the reddish rusty looking stuff of them. But so far have just used water and a hard scrubbing brush.

I've attached some photos of the amethyst we have picked up on the past 2 trips. Nowhere near as grand, colourful or big as yours but being beginners, we were stoked we found anything at all.

Thanks for your time, any help would be much appreciated.

Tahnee & Jonathan

[email protected]

Oxalic acid but ask at bunnings or the hardware on how to use it. Liz ( WalnLiz ) have a youtube vid on cleaning crystals :)

Keep amethyst out of sunlight to keep its color longer through the years to prevent it fading

Wow!! Thank you! I wasn't expecting a response so soon!! Good to know RE cleaning, will definitely check the videos out and do some more research.

Thanks again :)

Latest posts