Fill Your Bloody Holes in

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fill your holes in when your done with them it's not hard. Having said that I also agree with the other side of the discussion, and I can't help but think that the diggers who were at the Eureka stockade would be very dissapointed with the current state of affairs and the way people are making such a big deal out things. It's not just 150 years or so that people have been diggings holes for various reasons. Here's a question to think about. If you unearthed a record breaking nugget, should you fill in the hole? The site of the new worlds largest nugget would surely be heritage listed in the future. It would be of historical significance, as it becomes a part of history when it's found and made public. A bit different to this situation we're discussing but you can see what I mean. But it is how it is, so just fill in your holes. :)

if i found a record breaking nugget mate i can tell you somebody else would be filling the hole cause i would prob would have died and fell in it...
on a serious note tho should we be filling our holes back in, of course we should be but there are some who wont, laziness, greed, or for a lack of a better term uneducated but for the later i dont think that is an excuse as we all say it, it has it on your coils (some not all) repeated in just about every prospecting magazine, we as legitimate respectful prospector just have to keep doing the right thing and hope that slowly the 'bad eggs' either learn from the best or get stamped out, my thoughts anyway not that they carry much weight with the general population

Hi Chewy you were saying that if you found a new world largest nugget should you fill your hole in because of heritage reasons. The answer would be "Yes" The holes that the Welcome Nugget or the Hand of Faith came out of have both been filled in and a monument erected at those spots.

Teemore you want to know my views on raking. Yes I have raked some areas but after I have finished I then rake the leave mulch back for 2 reasons. 1st because they say that the creepy crawlies live amongst the leave matter. 2nd and most important is because I don't want anyone to know that I may have found something in that area.
Your Question to "Significant this is to future erosion." On down hill slopes I don't think it would matter as I have seen what a good rain storm will do to ground on a slope. The rain water will pushes everything away in front of it's own path. Flat ground rain water will mainly just sit there and just soak in to the ground.
wombat ;)

Unfilled holes didn't close the area in Stuart Mill down - prospecting wasn't allowed to start with! Leaving unfilled holes brought attention to the illegal prospecting. Surely your not condoning illegally prospecting in off limits areas?
Whether you agree with it or not it's a basic condition of a miners right, permit, general rules etc. etc. from state to state. Unfortunately it's widespread & rightly or wrongly puts negative attention onto us as it stands out like dogs balls even on old diggings. If you can't fill your holes in it's honestly time to get a less physical hobby like knitting.
Another unfortunate aspect is that unfilled holes are just the tip of the iceberg really. There are many other illegal activities going on like fence jumping & prospecting in off limits areas that probably do way more harm but don't have the easy visual impact other than being able to now follow the "keep out", "no fossicking", "area under surveillance" + other various signed warnings around some mapped areas.
Some people just don't give a sh1t & think they can do whatever they want.
P.s people doing the wrong thing isn't confined to us prospectors/fossickers either - hunters, fishermen, 4wd's all contribute!
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/s...d-farmer-fed-up-with-vandalism-on-fire-trail/

The Father in law and I are planning a prospecting trip (my first trip) to the north Qld goldfields for 3 weeks during the winter months. Its about a 12 -13 hour drive for us so we were planning on stopping in to a cattle station that we read about in an issue of GGT that is half way up for a few nights to break the trip up a little, i tracked down the property owners contact details, rang the lovely gentleman and informed him of our intentions and I went on to ask him for permission to camp and swing on his land. He was quick to tell me that having the little article in the magazine was one of the worst things that has happened to his property and has shut it down to prospectors. He has had numerous run ins with people just waltzing onto his property that didn't ask for the permission first and he went on to tell me that he has spent the last few months fixing up all the unfilled holes that were left behind, he is slowly getting his property under control again and still chasing the odd trespasser away. This is extremely frustrating, it is the small minded people who don't give 2 shites that is ruining it for the rest of us, fill in your holes and if wanting to go on orivate property please seek permission first. These people were kind enough to open their property up for us to access, the least we can do is respect them back that is all they are after is for you to respect their land that they live off, if you don't they will take it away as quick as they put it up.

My 2c

Thanks
M3

Thats annoying mate. I would suggest you offer to go help fill up some holes for free because tgat pisses you off as much as it does him. Sure you will get a swing once you do that.

The one that bugs me isn't the detector holes, it's the unfilled sluice holes you find around dams every so often. I do a fair bit of crevicing and that sort of thing and classify on site, then haul that to the nearest dam and backfill my hole with the oversize. I leave a sieve in the hole if I'm coming back the next day and don't want to redig the bloody thing, if you're near maryborough and find a big hole with a sieve in the bottom I'm probably at the nearest dam, or home having dinner.
That said I keep finding spots people have been sluicing and left holes 2 foot deep and three around, or taken the top six inches of ten foot of mullock heaps and just left a mess and I'm yet to see anyone return to them, I reckon those are much more noticeable than detector holes to the average bushwalker or greenie.

If I have a wheel barrow with me and know where they were washing their dirt then I usually try and at least fill the deep ones with their oversize on the basis of people falling in them really doesn't help our cause.

Wolfy said:
Thats annoying mate. I would suggest you offer to go help fill up some holes for free because tgat pisses you off as much as it does him. Sure you will get a swing once you do that.
Yeah its really annoying Wolfy.
I was talking to him for awhile and he knows where a stand with that sort of thing, i told him that we would be happy to pay to play and offered our helping hand around the property if he needed it but he stood firm on his decision and I can respect that, the damage that was done to his property is still strong on the mind i spose, i asked if he would be opening his property up again and he said maybe in a few years, so there is still hope :) maybe next time.
The Father in law has been prospecting for years now and he was spewin when i told what had happened.

Oh the poor farmers , the same ones that open up crown land gates to let their sheep freely graze on only to fall down mine shafts ... well the ones that arent full of 50+ years of THEIR garbage. IM 100 % behind people protecting their land from trespasses but when i hear the cry stories about a hole here or there is annoying to say the least. Seriously the average farm property would need a 10000 fossickers to make any noticeable impact on the landscape or their livelihood. YES ITS THEIR land BUT just say you dont like people on it without the stories .

As an ex farmer i disagree.

Horse or cow (or farmer!) puts foot in hole and twists or breaks leg. Major costs. Also you have no automatic right to dig up or walk or fish or shoot on my land, no more than i have the right to do the same at your house. If you couldnt even be bothered to be respectful enough of my property to kick a bit of dirt in the hole you just made then you sure as hell would not be getting back on my land, or anybodies land around me i guarantee. Laziness and disrespect stuffs it up for everybody, believe me.

If you want ridiculous trespassers on farmland stories i got plenty.

Also you have no automatic right to dig up or walk or fish or shoot on my land, no more than i have the right to do the same at your house. If you couldnt even be bothered to be respectful enough of my property to kick a bit of dirt in the hole you just made then you sure as hell would not be getting back on my land, or anybodies land around me i guarantee. Laziness and disrespect stuffs it up for everybody, believe me.

I didn't say that !
I totally agree with that , and I wouldn't for a second disrespect a persons property , but id rather just hear a property owner say it how its is . The holes have zero impact im sorry and if you feel they do well you better get rid of all cattle grates .
Ive been doing this for over 20 years and the same excuse has been used to deny access , 20 years ago a cow shit would be more dangerous than a GT1500 hole .

I never had cattle grates, they have a very limited application. Also the are meant to deter cattle,a cow can become seriously injured if it persists in trying to negotiate one.

I respect the fact that you respect peoples property as i am sure you do. However your opinion that holes have zero impact is not quite correct. Even if it was, if its my land and i dont like it, then end of story.

:)

Numb_Thumb said:
There is dirt a plus out bush in the gold fields silver, we are not talking about park coin shooting here!

I could bury a body easily with just the top loam soil available alone in the fields of gold.

Your right, there is no excuse for filling in a hole, its easy, but my point is that those who bash others for leaving them unfilled are those that really know nothing about the bush.
They are computer prospectors who support the crap that the authorities are trying to use against us!

You may blame us for feeling guilty about bad practice, but your not with us in the field when we are planting ironbarks and greybox trees we grow from seed in our own backyards in order to regenerate the state forests we care so much about.

Give back to the bush what we take is my motto! A fricken pick scrape left unfilled means nothing to a land that has suffered much worse by the rush of the 1800's.

If your on a 'pick on gold prospector' campaign, show me the evidence of the damage!

No one is blaming any one, the point is if one person does it the powers that be will Tar everyone with the same brush, And So what if the old timers left big holes or animals dig holes, the old timers have all gone and the animals are just doing what they have done for 10,000 years, Those in charge are not bothered if you plant one million trees they are more bothered about people leaving holes everywhere,

I think anyone who leaves hole unfilled should be banned from using a detector, It is just greed rushing to find the next bit and people like that ain't worth a toss because they are destroying for everyone else, being common land it belongs to the whole of Australia so it's is like someone coming and digging holes in your garden and leaving them unfilled and because the Bush belongs to everyone it is the same thing,

The whole idea of filling in the holes is to Avoid more of what happened in the 1800s just because they did it back then does not make it Right or Ok Now, It's about learning by ones mistakes,

No one is on A Pick on a Gold Prospector crusade, The OP just wanted to make everyone Aware of what is happening out there, and Quite right too, Theres too many Rules and Regs Now, How are you going to feel when the local shire say no more ?.

The thing is it has been done by prospectors of one kind or another, So The Blame is where it belongs, I don't think for one minutes that a Townie just decided to go out there and dig holes because he had nothing better to do. Imagine for a minute that you loan someone ya truck and every time it comes back there is some thing wrong with it, well there is going to come a time that you tell them to bugger off, And this is no different, This is not just about us (As In Me) because what we do effects everyone, If I go and do that sort of thing and you loose your right to detect how is that going to make you feel after spending $0000 of dollars on equipment and you can't use it no more,

This is more about what can we do limit the damage or what can we do to make sure that prospectors are seen in a better light, and the answer to that is easy, just make sure we fill in our hole and remind others to do the same, because if this thing is worth fighting for then we know what we have to do, 10 or 15 seconds is not going to stop anyone from finding the next nugget, Even after all these years if I see an unfilled hole I still fill it, Because if I have been seen detecting in the same area and some see's unfilled holes you have not got to be a Rocket Scientist to work out who is going to get the blame,

My Personal view is that with your attitude you are going to be one of the first to complain if you loose the right to detect, Yet you tear in to the OP for trying to do something about it by reminding everyone to do the right thing, Sorry but you can't have it both ways, I am Grateful to the OP for putting this issue fresh in our minds Again, What we do as an Individual effects everyone as a Whole, No pun intended,

John

Don't know if anyone's been around white horse gully south of marybourgh lately but worth a look as what not to do up on the hillside .Seen it about 4 months ago with massive holes and trenches everywhere . Went back again to have a look on the weekend and plenty more been dug. If you are reading this ya should be discussed with ya self if ya got the energy to dig em ya should have it to fill em in. :mad:

same around long gully and a few other spots for a 2 or 3 k around too, I'm inclined too think its tourists around there though not much seems to happen most of the time but long weekends, christmas etc seem to always mean a lot more unfilled holes.

Bjay said:
Don't know if anyone's been around white horse gully south of marybourgh lately but worth a look as what not to do up on the hillside .Seen it about 4 months ago with massive holes and trenches everywhere . Went back again to have a look on the weekend and plenty more been dug. If you are reading this ya should be discussed with ya self if ya got the energy to dig em ya should have it to fill em in. :mad:

Amen Bjay,

I guess the next thing that comes about is Prospecting police that will do spot checks on people from afar and then we will hear those that get caught coming up with excuses like "Oh I was going to fill em In when the sun goes down or when I've finished doing this patch, lol,

A few years back I saw someone dig about 50+ holes and leave em until I told them otherwise, they weren't happy But I am not about to loose my main hobby because of some Greedy Lazy Bleeder. I have invested a good 20 years in to this maybe more and 10s of thousands of Dollars doing so, and I can't get that 20+ years back of all that Dough if we get stopped because of some Greedy PIA,

John

Latest posts