Exploration license Victoria?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday good peoples
I was hoping to pick your brains in regards to exploration licenses?
The reason Im enquiring is I was having a play around on the earth resources Victoria web site and did a check on a good mate of mines property in Amherst ! And low and behold there is a current exploration license that covers all of his property as well as a heap more! The details of this particular license stated that the license entitled the licence holder to explore for minerals? WTF
My mate lives there and ownes the place for well over 30 years. I dont think he has any idea that a exploration license covers his land and before I mention anything to him I wanted to be armed with the facts! Stuff like what powers does the license holder have in regards to just coming in to his property and digging the place up? And also what rights does me mate have in regards to stopping this from happening? Im keen to hear all your thoughts and facts . So fire away guys Im all ears? :Y:

snafu said:
If you really want the facts in relation to the legalities, you would be better off going straight to the relevant authority - Earth Resources. There are some switched on people here on the forum, but ......................?

Jeff

Im interested in hearing why you didnt finish your statement snafu? But what???
And it is the switched on people I want to hear from!

Licking windows said:
snafu said:
If you really want the facts in relation to the legalities, you would be better off going straight to the relevant authority - Earth Resources. There are some switched on people here on the forum, but ......................?

Jeff

There are some switched on people here on the forum (very switched on in fact) but it is probably always better to get the final details from the relevant authority.

"But some people off the forum" will tend not to hold up in court if your friend does end up trying to keep the licence holders off his property in the wrong manner.

Personally, I would be interested to hear what the laws are too as properties near ours have also been recently covered by an exploration licence.

Northeast said:
Licking windows said:
snafu said:

Jeff

There are some switched on people here on the forum (very switched on in fact) but it is probably always better to get the final details from the relevant authority.

"But some people off the forum" will tend not to hold up in court if your friend does end up trying to keep the licence holders off his property in the wrong manner.

Personally, I would be interested to hear what the laws are too as properties near ours have also been recently covered by an exploration licence.

A phone call or email to the appropriate authority, but unfortunately they wont be answering their phones or answering emails till Monday morning. So I was only putting it out there and thinking someone might have a little knowledge on the subject!
The information on the website says that the license was granted in 2015 and expires in 2022 . No attempt has been made to enter the property and none might ever be made, I was just curious to know if the license holder could just one day turn up unannounced excavators at the ready and start tearing the place up ?

Licking windows said:
snafu said:

Jeff

The only reason that I left that as an open ended statement was that a question put to a forum relating to legalities of certain issues will quite often result in incorrect information being offered, even from switched on members. If you are happy to accept whatever info is offered, please disregard my posts, but from my own experience of dealing with legislative requirements in matters relating to mining over the past 30 years, nobody will give you better, up to date information than the relevant authority.

Jeff

Not sure how they were given a 7 year license, by the reading on the website theres grounds for some questions to be answered for regarding the licence

snafu said:
Licking windows said:
snafu said:

Jeff

The only reason that I left that as an open ended statement was that a question put to a forum relating to legalities of certain issues will quite often result in incorrect information being offered, even from switched on members. If you are happy to accept whatever info is offered, please disregard my posts, but from my own experience of dealing with legislative requirements in matters relating to mining over the past 30 years, nobody will give you better, up to date information than the relevant authority.

Jeff

My mate whos property it is will no doubt iron out the details with the relevant departments, (obviously)
I was only asking a simple question hoping somebody might have had ( or knows someone) that has been there before!
One would be pretty stupid to take notes and make up a brief to submit to whoever based on opinions from people on a public forum! Wouldnt one?
Constructive / intelligent input was all I wanted, not to start a shit fight :eek:
Thanks for your input anyway :Y:

Theduke said:
Not sure how they were given a 7 year license, by the reading on the website theres grounds for some questions to be answered for regarding the licence

I stand corrected, it was issued in 2017 expires 2022

No drama:
Written consent or registered compensation agreement with landowners etc

Private land. If you intend to work on private land (including under the land to a depth of 100 m) you must obtain the written consent of the owners and occupiers; or make compensation agreements with them; or by agreement, purchase the land. Compensation disputes may be resolved by the Land Valuation Division of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal or referred to the Supreme Court. Compensation agreements should include such information as Parish, Crown Allotment numbers and Section (if applicable). You must lodge compensation agreements with the department for registration. Please note that land issued to the Victorian Plantations Corporation is considered as private land and their consent is required. In circumstances where the licensee is unable to determine the name and address of the owners and occupiers, the requirements of this section may be waived under the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 section 43(2).
http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/ea...ion,-Mining,-Prospecting-or-Retention-Licence

The way an exploration license works (relinquishment over time) can encourage licenses to cover areas greater than the explorer ever hopes to utilise.

TheMediocritist said:
No drama:
Written consent or registered compensation agreement with landowners etc

Private land. If you intend to work on private land (including under the land to a depth of 100 m) you must obtain the written consent of the owners and occupiers; or make compensation agreements with them; or by agreement, purchase the land. Compensation disputes may be resolved by the Land Valuation Division of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal or referred to the Supreme Court. Compensation agreements should include such information as Parish, Crown Allotment numbers and Section (if applicable). You must lodge compensation agreements with the department for registration. Please note that land issued to the Victorian Plantations Corporation is considered as private land and their consent is required. In circumstances where the licensee is unable to determine the name and address of the owners and occupiers, the requirements of this section may be waived under the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 section 43(2).
http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/ea...ion,-Mining,-Prospecting-or-Retention-Licence

The way an exploration license works (relinquishment over time) can encourage licenses to cover areas greater than the explorer ever hopes to utilise.

Thanks themediocritist , thats just the type of informative, relevant information I was seeking :perfect:

Licking windows said:
snafu said:
Licking windows said:
snafu said:

Jeff

Jeff

My mate whos property it is will no doubt iron out the details with the relevant departments, (obviously)
I was only asking a simple question hoping somebody might have had ( or knows someone) that has been there before!
One would be pretty stupid to take notes and make up a brief to submit to whoever based on opinions from people on a public forum! Wouldnt one?
Constructive / intelligent input was all I wanted, not to start a shite fight :eek:
mate jeff is correct I have been mining for the last 30 years and you are better off getting the correct imfo from the dept of mining will save a lot of trouble and possible fines yes there is a lot of talent on pa but you are better getting it from the correct people

Protecting landholders

The MRSDA requires licensees to consult with landholders and other identified members of the community before any exploration or mining activity can commence. This means that a licensee is required to share information with the community about any activities authorised under the licence and also to provide the community with a reasonable opportunity to express their views about those activities.

Additional obligations apply to mining licensees, who must prepare a community engagement (CE) plan documenting the commitments they will make to engage with their community during the life cycle of the project.

Furthermore, under section 42(2)(c) of the MRSDA, permission to start work on a mining licence will only be granted once the licensee has obtained the written consent of the landholder or made and registered a compensation agreement with the landholder. Compensation provisions apply only where landholders suffer loss or damage as a result of work on a licence or consequence of the approved work plan.

savage bitter said:
Licking windows said:
snafu said:
Licking windows said:
snafu said:

Jeff

Jeff

Constructive / intelligent input was all I wanted, not to start a shite fight :eek:
mate jeff is correct I have been mining for the last 30 years and you are better off getting the correct imfo from the dept of mining will save a lot of trouble and possible fines yes there is a lot of talent on pa but you are better getting it from the correct people

Hey s/b , for sure Jeff is correct, and as stated the information will be obtained via the dept of mining as soon as humanly possible!
The input that others have forwarded is also informative and by the looks of it came straight from the horses mouth ( mines dept ) and thats the kind of temporary ( but appears very accurate and genuine) information I was hoping to receive! I do apologise if i came across like I wanted documents written, as this was certainly not the case.
Thanks for your input it makes a heap of sense :Y:

all cool hope you get what you need I no queensland mines dept can be a bit hard to handle at times and they don't really care about what your mate or what the bloke down the road has said the only advise I can give you is read everything the dept of mines give you and query everything until you get the swing of things :Y:

70% of australian house holds would be under some sort of els be it minerals or petrolium, whole towns have been pegged in wa, get on your web site and check out burra sa, the whole town and kilometres surrounding pegged. all land owners only own the first 30cm of the ground, anything under that it free rain property of the crown. hope this info sheds some light mate. :Y:

Latest posts