Expanded metal over deep V matting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next1m8

Chris
Reaction score
Does anyone know if putting expanded metal over deep V matting will hamper or improve the clean up process or should I just use trial and error

Thanks in advance

Chris

All depends on the size relation of the expanded to the deep "V" matting. Expanded will throw a specific vortex in relation to the size of the expanded walls. Larger "V" matting will do the same thing. If the deep "V" matting is too coarse then the vortex's can work against each other and move finer, (especially flour gold), down the sluice.

With coarser gold it would make no difference as this will not travel far, no matter what config you use. That's the main reason you should never put expanded over Hogg Matting....which in essence is a variation of "V" matting.

Cheers Wal, that pretty well sums it up, expanded will be sitting aside I'm pretty sure it's rougly 1/2'' V matting do you have any suggestions Wal

BJ sorry mate I don't have any pictures of it just yet it's all still in modification mode haven't set it up for clean ups yet I only got my other High banker today so I'm just looking at best clean up matting, unless someone has some GOld Hog they want to sell

Are you running the mats as just a cleanup scenario, or are you incorporating them in the highbanker as a rifle trapping system...??. As a clean up system with a regulated water flow they would work efficiently on their own, without the need for incorporating expanded into the equation.

In a trapping system for a highbanker I would run a section of sloped expanded (15mm high), over bare sluice at the end of the slick plate as a boiler section, and then the 1/2" "V" matting for the second half of the sluice. I would have the expanded and the Mat of equal lengths, and incorporate two hungarian rifles 15mm high and 30mm apart as a nugget trap at the end of the expanded. ;)

1429443409_image.jpg

The one to the right is my catchment Highbanker it is still in modification mode too, 15mm expanded on just bare metal, and then v-matting I'm confused I've had a really long day today :-(

My brains not working

Edit- the one on the left is the one I will use primarily for clean ups after I bring my cons back to maximise time spent in the Field

Pics make more sense now. The one on the right as a main banker seems set up OK, and should work just fine. The one on the left, if it was set up with a full length of "V"matting would work efficiently as a concentrates clean up sluice at a much shallower angle and the right water flow.

I was wondering if adding miners moss to help? I've used the one on the right several times before I bought it from my friend, it's caught all sorts of bits and bobs- weird and unusual lead shapes- semi decent sized flakes and lots and lots of tiny flecks I'm pretty confident in this system that it catches most gold but I just want that extra back up, I'm going to buy some new marine carpet to fit in it properly as whoever cut the stuff in there measured once and cut twice as it doesn't fit snugly or properly at all I want some rubber underlay and some moss on top, probably over kill but I will test and test again

I was thinking deep V on maybe a 15degree angle with a ball valve on my return hose to reduce and control water volumes from my bilge pump, always ensuring a catchment at the end until I'm satisfied I've set it up right

Different guys have different opinions on whether carpet or backed moss is best. My personal opinion is backed moss is more efficient in trapping the gold, and so long as it's loose woven will release the gold far more efficiently than the fibres in marine carpet. Just my own experience and I've used both over a long period. Multiple layers of carpet/moss/underlay etc will not make the setup more efficient....pick a single one that suits you best.

Deep "V" at 10 to 15 deg on the cleanup sluice will work fine and a Ball Valve is the best regulator for the water flow. A uniform spray bar covering the full width of the sluice will give best overall results. You're first cup full of concentrate will soon tell you the optimum water flow for the concentrates, but be sure to have them classified down to a uniform size, and preferably through a 1/8" sieve.

WalnLiz said:
In a trapping system for a highbanker I would run a section of sloped expanded (15mm high), over bare sluice at the end of the slick plate as a boiler section, and then the 1/2" "V" matting for the second half of the sluice. I would have the expanded and the Mat of equal lengths, and incorporate two hungarian rifles 15mm high and 30mm apart as a nugget trap at the end of the expanded. ;)
I like the sound of what you have posted here Wal, what length box are you running for this type of set up mate? :)

Well to be honest I always thought that with non-backed moss there is a chance the fines could drop through and join the Underflow and flow out the bottom, I have a type of backed moss cost 6$ from the reject shop, it lets go of the gold much easier than the carpet does however I'm still worried im losing fine gold more, so I thought with moss on top of carpet any bit that goes through the moss will encounter more resistance and get trapped by the carpet. My theory on carpet of it's hard to clean its trapping most the gold and fines that make it through and won't allow it to continue downward and out the bottom, then I keep too con buckets one for the moss and one for the carpet I generally do a basic wash of the carpet sit it aside to dry and bang it out later once I have more time, I'll have several lengths to take with me and use fresh carpet each run

The backed moss will do the same job as an un backed moss over carpet and save unnecessary cartage of additional matting / carpet. Guess it's best to take both scenarios with you at first, as trial and error are the best teachers in the long run. Eventually to be successful you will need to restrict the weight of your gear, to get it to the more isolated areas where the odds of better gold will reward you. Best of luck with it all and hope the gold is kind to you.

Cheers Wal.

dwt said:
WalnLiz said:
I like the sound of what you have posted here Wal, what length box are you running for this type of set up mate? :)

I run all my boxes these days at 1500 and in a single sluice config. In a dual sluice scenario with a top hopper and Grizzly, the bottom sluice needs to be no longer than 1000 as the slick plate can be dramatically reduced. The top hopper acts both as an initial slick plate and a speed ramp for the water entering the lower sluice, enabling the boiler section to be closer to the back of the lower sluice. A 200 slick / 400 sloped expanded / 2 hungarians 30mm apart and 400 x 1/2" "V" mat / Hogg Mat will see a very efficient trapping system for a lower sluice.

The expanded still does not have any restrictive matting under it and relys on displacement within the boiler section only. This section will effectively trap 95% of the gold before reaching the "V" mating / Hogg Mat in a "Banker" scenario.

1429461177_image.jpg

Do you think I should put some spray bars up the top? Running both sprayers and rear water input.. I'm just thinking of some way to break/scrub up clay and what not before it drops into the lower section of the banker?

Wal may I please have some advice on what I should do here other than repairing this guys dodgy repair job?
1429515480_image.jpg

I was also thinking I may add some sort of top hopper securing point because at the moment it's got no where to hold those arms in place at adjustable heights I was thinking a bolt through the sides Alan key head so it's flatter inside the sluice with some wingnutts and on the arm itself 3-4 more height adjusters.
1429515612_image.jpg

Latest posts