Enfield Vic information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a 1/2grm piece there about 25 years ago and several Chinese coins as well as lots of scrap .
Have done some panning there also and lost a lot of equipment in a flash flood , Sieves/pans/SS bowl/shovel/trowels and container with gold in it , got washed away from Surface Point .
I know of 4 town sites but shore there would be more around .

G'day Jwal,
lotsa places to try - but my 2300 and I haven't been successful so far.

If u only have a 2300 also then the shallow workings (geovic) seem to be the best chance but they have seen a fair bit of traffic.

Good Luck

I've known of someone finding bits of gold embedded quartz near the park (could only be seen after crushing it, could have been on private property near the park) but not had any luck myself yet.

Have got all kinds of junk, horseshoes, a metal button, various spent bullets and other odds and ends (smallest find is a tie between a boot tack and a small hook) so I know I'm in the right area (or someone was too lazy to dig every target). Only find of value for me so far is a silver Threepence coin.

No gold yet for me yet; but between a certainty I've not waved a coil over any so far (I dig every target, good exercise) and knowing not many others have had much luck encourages me to carry on swinging. :cool:

Ground is too wet in some parts atm; I know once I got below a certain elevation my GPX4500 went from smooth and quiet (Coiltek 14" Mono on Sensitive) to screaming like a banshee (tried all kind of settings before I dug a small hole out of curiosity and found a fair amount of moisture in the clay :rolleyes: ). Moving above that elevation the unit would operate nice and smooth again so I know it was not operator error.

Hi all looking at hitting Enfield and dereel tommorow as my first ever trip.
Wondering if anyone has been there lately and what the conditions are like at the moment?

Hi Darkcade,

I am from Queensland, but spent 3 weeks at Ballarat in March and went out to Enfield State Park one day. There is a lot of rubbish (old and modern) in the creek and in the 20 metre detecting zone along the creek bank at the main visitor area. Depending on what sort of machine you have this may drive you nuts.

It is obvious that a lot of people have had a swing there and there has been plenty of digging in the creek bed. A problem I see with that particular area is that it gets a lot of day trippers, bushwalkers and motor bike riders and other general non-detecting tourists who unfortunately chuck their Bundy and coke cans, beer cans and a myriad of other metal rubbish on the ground and in the creek for you to detect.

If you do go there try to get as away far as possible from the main beaten track.

Good luck.

Graham

Thanks Troutman. I didnt get out yesterday as i got crook, hoping for this wednesday, im only panning and crevicing, hoping for a machine for my 30th in July :D.

Im looking at travelling as far as possible down the stream so hopefully no tin cans for me haha.

Hey mate we went there thisarvo theres a few puddles to pan in down the bottom secton of the creek and still a little gold to take out the tracks not that bad the area we went to a little more chopped out from the rain we had a couple of weeks ago if u have trouble finding water find snowgum rd where the creek runs over it theres a little dam were the old bridge used to be theres normally water in there

Markoman03 said:
Hey mate we went there thisarvo theres a few puddles to pan in down the bottom secton of the creek and still a little gold to take out the tracks not that bad the area we went to a little more chopped out from the rain we had a couple of weeks ago if u have trouble finding water find snowgum rd where the creek runs over it theres a little dam were the old bridge used to be theres normally water in there
Perfect thanks mate. Ill be there this arvo having a crack.

Good luck i still havent been able to process the buckets we took out the other day hopefully tomorrow but the mrs panned out a handfull yesterday and got a bit of color out of it so heres hoping lol

So I spent two hours crevicing this arvo. Cant believe how untouched some of that creek is. Didnt get a whole lot but man it was fun.
1528287026_msgr_photo_for_upload_1528286537967.jpg_1528286549246.jpg

I have well and truly bee bitten by the bug now.

Latest posts