Ending Before it Really Got Going

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been doing some hard thinking over the last week or so since the get together at Amhurst.
Just a bit of back ground.
I bought my detector brand new about 2 years ago, not long afterwards my big, but not friendly "black dog" paid a visit and wouldn't leave, it became very tempting to leave with him, very difficult to stay, but stay I did.That took a while to get the head back right, and then I wrecked my right knee which had to be replaced, a few things didn't go quite right with that and it was several months before I could get around properly .

Fast forward to the get together and I found I was having trouble walking very far, my feet hurt, so when I got back home I went to the foot quackery and was informed that my "plantar fasciitis" had flared up and I would need to have orthotics in my shoes ( they are supposed to help but it feels like a bloody big rock is jammed under your foot in the shoe ) and for me there was no option ( unless I was a horse ) well with adjustments and patience I can now walk about 15 minutes before I have to sit and get off of my feet for 10 minutes or so which isn't really practicable for me to do metal detecting, which brings me to the title of this thread.

My metal detecting has finished almost before it got going and I can't justify having a top of the line detector sitting there doing nothing, I may buy another "play around" machine in the future. But do not despair, I'm going to be hanging around the forum just to annoy you all ( unless I get banned)
cheers Keith

Keith, not much I can offer you about the "black dog" but I can offer some hope re: the plantar fasciitis.

Had the same thing 13 years ago. Could barely run due to R) hip pain. Big dampener on my footy career. Was told that the plantar was the problem and orthotics might help. Yes, they feel like golf balls for a bit but you do get used to them. Within weeks my hip was fine and played for another 10 years.

BUT, if I don't wear them for a few weeks - hello bad hip!! Somehow they keep everything aligned and happy. And now if I don't wear them my feet feel real weird.

Would be sad to see you sell your tector before you really start. Maybe sell it and get an Equinox - 4 detectors in 1 ;)

Keith

Gotta keep thinking positive.
I have dodgy knees for 20yrs and recently my left knee blew out
could not walk for a week - missed golf 4 weeks in a row (never done that before)
A friend mentioned that they know a good chiropractor (yep)
I put off going for a few weeks and do I regret that.

Within two days he had me walking like i have never had any problems with legs or knees.
Who woulda thought - a chiropractor for a sore knee.
He's on my chrissy list now.

Also you can be the king of the Australian History thread now (I know you already are)

Hope things start looking up for you.

Keith,
I know how you are feeling with the PF, its a real pi$$er... I suffer from it as well.
I did notice at Amherst that you were confining yourself to the comfort of your chair quite regularly and that is understandable when your feet are killing you. I have been fighting my pain for 6 mths. and have tried every recommended therapy including orthotics, without much improvement. I searched the internet for anything that would help and I found these shoes on line called Kuru....from America.
Mate, I have not worn anything so comfortable, and they immediately made it easier on my painfull PF. In fact I was wearing them the whole time at the camp, allowing me to detect for longer than I can remember.
They are designed specifically with Plantar Fasciitis in mind, and you dont need orthotics in them.
In fact I reckon they are healing the condition, just by wearing them... my pain has practically disappeared now and I wont wear anything else now.
Check out the reviews on their website.
https://www.kurufootwear.com/
Cheers Adrian.

Shit Keith, those scars on you hairless legs looked quite purdy I thought. And a more welcoming person I could not have met, I thank you because you are a really decent man. Loved your van set up too, so you'd better still get out and about, getting to gatherings regularly? I hope to catch up with you again at another get together. I have plantar fascia issues too and it's shite for shore, but we must soldier on. You a top bloke. That black dog will piss off for a while if you kick it hard enough.

Hi Xcavator. Sorry to hear about your problem. I've got heel spurs also, had them about 50 years now. I sent 2 posts to Daggy 25 +26 march 2017 regarding them as he has them also, with a bit of advice on them i'd learned over the years. maybe you could read the posts and see if you can get any benefit from them. All the Best. wiley coyote.

Hi Keith sorry to hear about your issues, seek help wherever you can get. Thanks for the call the other day, the new tug is going well.
Cheers Manpa (Pottsy)

Hi Adrian, These Kuro boots sound very good, I would like to try one of their boots. Which pair did you buy? Chicane or Quest? And how much metal are in your boots? I have had the hurting and sore feet for quite some time, thought that there was nothing to be done about them. Cheers. Hermann.

Hi Adrian,
I am on the same page as Redfin Berkinstocks are a great invention.If you can find them get the soft ones, same job more comfortable.
Also you can look at better runners my guy recommended Brookes and Asic.
Good luck

Scotty

My brother had a heel spur that was giving him grief, I'm sure he was telling me the doctor operated on his foot and removed the spur for him and that it was all good after that. :Y: was about 5-8 years ago now I recon.

And the black dog.... don't it make ya cry at times hey ! I'm glad my short term memory is stuffed and everyday is a new day for me (literally).... otherwise I'd be howling like a dog all the time, but the mind does protect itself for ya in the long term..... laughter is good :Y: about yourself and others :lol:

My podiatrist reckons this is the no.1 condition that he sees these days, especially in the middle aged bracket. I just took my feet for granted till I started to get pain in the arch of my left foot after tromping around on the quartzy terrain in Tibooburra after a trip up there last year.
The moral here is look after your plates of meat, because when they get injured, they take ages to get back to pain free.
Xcavator, I hope you find a way to kick that black dog in the guts and get back your mojo to enjoy detecting.

All the best to you Keith. I hope that you can put it behind, and get out detecting again.
You've also got a great van for your detecting trips, so take it easy, but get out there :Y:

Dont feed that dog mate, he will want to stay. Focus on that walking, starve him and leave him behind hungry to stray.
Don't even turn around to see if he is still there.
He is a just mungeral that feeds off you.

I use Mongrel boots because of the extra cushioning, those that Adrian sugested sound great. For the Black Dog; it is always there,you have to recognise it before it get too much. That big downward spiral, keep climbing out and don't stop and look back, there are better things to come. Maybe a secondhand 4500, to put a real big smile on ya dial, like mine did and great times to be had, one step at a time , was great to meet you; hope we can do it all again.

Bit of an update, I've sold the h/f coil 8.( 8.( but a couple of days ago in my shed I found an old aluminium/canvas camping fishing stool, only weighs about a kilo, so I'm going to try carrying that around with me in a couple of local parks while I detect. That way I can have a sit down every now and then to get off of the feet.

It never ceases to amaze we what actually lives in my shed when I start rummaging around :lol: