Eldorado / Beechworth Victoria camping spots information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btye

Brad
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I am looking into doing a trip to reedy creek in our last week of the next school holidays ( first week term 4 for victorian schools) first week of oct or there abouts.
I have never been to that area so am very clueless. i have been doing my research on vic parks website, google, here you tube etc etc. I will have my 4 kidlets and wife with me im wondering what the camp sites are like and things to be wary of. my kids are all like me outdoorsy types. be using a very large tent.
Will be testing out a few sluice ideas, looking at gemstones and just mainly getting away from it all.
i live in mount gambier and since the whole area is porous limestone theres no creeks to play in and definately no gold. we will be staying in heathcote on the way over gotta see the grand parents.

Be keen to hear from others that have been there.

thanks
Brad

Welcome aboard Brad, there are a few of us from the Mt here on the forum. Sorry I can't tell you anything about the area you're interested in but I'm sure others can and will be able to advise. :)

G'day Brad,

Another Mt Gambier member. I reckon our numbers are building down here but one thing for sure is that you have to be able to handle your gold fever well since we live so far away from that gold!

I go to Beechworth for a family holiday during July most years but only manage to get a small bit of prospecting done due to the wife insisting that its everyones holiday, not just mine. Anywhere along reedy creek is good for gold mate but not up as far as Woolshed falls. Members on the forum have done meetups closer to Eldorado and camp at the chinese gardens camp ground. Never been there myself but it seems extremely family freindly and they always manage to find good gold....I think its hard not to up there. We stay at the Lake Sambell caravan park in Beechworth, stones throw from town and very nice. Even has a lovely little creek flowing through the place and dare I say it....I could not resist and did a quick test pan and yep...found some colour. Its everywhere up there.

Do you get out over to Vic much?

chewy, thanks for the welcome

mjb, i go over to heathcote 2 to 3 times a year to see the wifes grandparents ( free accommodation ) this is where the gold fever came from. i have always been interested in gemstones and such as my grandfather was right into it. earlier this year went to mortlake and mooralla chasing crystals and got the kids hooked on it, just want to get them out camping, went to mt eccles with them once but chickened out due to lightning.
wishing there were some goldfields closer to home.

Brad

Where is a good location to take the family.

Leaving tomorrow but found mixed information on where I can camp. Hoping you guys will know a spot

Cheers in advance

Apparition said:

Leaving tomorrow but found mixed information on where I can camp. Hoping you guys will know a spot

Cheers in advance
Hi mate I am up here working for the week. Best bet is to pop into the Wangaratta info centre and ask them for parks maps (Eldorado national park) in regards to camping and prospecting locations. I've got the sdc in the back of the work truck, not too sure if there is much detectable gold up this way though. I'm Staying at the Chiltern caravan park. Hopefully I can knockoff early enough to go for a swing.

Chuky boy said:
Apparition said:

Cheers in advance
Hi mate I am up here working for the week. Best bet is to pop into the Wangaratta info centre and ask them for parks maps (Eldorado national park) in regards to camping and prospecting locations. I've got the sdc in the back of the work truck, not too sure if there is much detectable gold up this way though. I'm Staying at the Chiltern caravan park. Hopefully I can knockoff early enough to go for a swing.

Not sure if I will have coverage up there but if I do send me a pm if you want to catch up.

Hey all going to head up to reedy creek in the next couple of weeks just wondering if anyone knows of any camp spots that are worth checking out, preferably ones that don't have room for 20+ cars and caravans, more secluded and off the main tracks. It's a fair drive for me to head up there and have a look just seeing if anyone has any info. Also how is the water level there? Enough to run a highbanker?
Thanks

Thanks for that Ian but I already have those maps was wondering if there's any other camps not listed, I might just have to wing it for the weekend ;)

Hey patt,

One of the best things about prospecting the woolshed valley (reedy creek) is the size of the place. There are numerous campsites along about 20kms of the creek within the confines of the national park. Campsites are generally more open (suited to larger groups) between Eldorado and kangaroo crossing. They are more individual or isolated between kangaroo crossing and below the woolshed falls (but there are dozens of them). Best thing to do is explore the tracks running between the woolshed rd and the creek til you find one you like. You can see 90% of these tracks on google maps. You can get to most in a car but 4x4 in the way to go to get to the best isolated creek side spots. I prefer the campsites on either side of the Sebastopol area on the northern side of the creek.
Re the water level:- the creek is flowing quite well at this time, and increased in height about 10cm over the last 2 weeks (after good rains in Ne Victoria). Whilst it has a long way to go to be considered 'high' flow or low level flooding (which is what we all need of the creek to re-deposit the flood gold), there is plenty of water for highbanking most areas of the creek. The water level can rise quickly on occasions after good rain so be careful leaving your gear set up in/on the edge of the creek.

Hope you enjoy your trip and get some colour.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks heaps fir the info Mako exactly what I was after. Will do mate
Cheers

Hi all. I have been to reedy a few times and would like to explore other creeks in the surrounding areas.
Im after any info on where i can free camp and hopefully find some yellow in the pan. Not after your secret gold spots just camp spots.
9 hours away from where i live so any info will be muchly appreciated.
Happy to meet up with anyone while im down there over the easter period

Cheers Mick

Latest posts