Ebay Detector Seller Beware

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

G'day

Had a recent experience with a dropkick Ebay buyer when I listed a detector for sale, compared to what else was on there the price seemed reasonable, anyway long story short this dropkick buyer placed a bid on it about 6 days out from the end of the auction, then later messaged me with a question about an item that comes with it, anyway the auction ends and then a few days go by and he has not paid for it, so as I had it packed and ready to send as I did not want him to have to wait too long for it and was concerned with border closings and all that things going by road might be effected.(always trying to do the right thing by people)

Anyway I got a message back and this person said he did not bid on it and that Ebay must have stuffed up, and further to that said he would not pay that price for it anyway, even though it was priced lower than similar items on there, I replied so you just changed your mind?, funny though after you placed the bid on it you asked another question about it? then told him that its people like him that are destroying online sale sites for everyone else, and of course got no reply. :poop:

Funny thing later I found the very same model detector for sale at the same price listed for the exactly same times as mine, it seems that some sellers are tying up other sellers gear with bogus bids from newly opened accounts to increase the chances of selling themselves, on contacting other sellers with re listed items they confirmed that they have had to re list their gear after bogus non paying bidders have done their dirty work, even heard mention of one seller bidding on his own gear to drive up the price, think this is called "shill bidding" ? something like that anyway.

Further to that when I contacted ebay and questioned them about the legal aspects of purchases as one of their statements says that purchases are legal and binding, but this is not so as they don't enforce it anyway and probably have no power to do so, also told them that they put to much emphasis on protecting the buyers when in reality its the sellers that pay the fees and not the buyers, ok no ebay without buyers but no money for them to make without sellers either, dont expect any real help from them in these sorts of matters, best thing is to share the information of the dropkick buyer with other sellers and place them on your blocked bidders (chit) list, or delete bids from new or low feedback bidders, although I feel this is unfair as is penalises good people because of the actions of a few a**holes.

cheers

stayyerAU

I sold something on eBay during the year.
I got one bid and after the sale the user stated they didn't even know what it was they bought.
I just cancelled it and moved on.
Definitely a buyers protected market.
You can get some numb nuts on there but the vast majority are pretty good.
It always concerns me when someone buys something and takes days to pay.
When l buy l pay on the spot and l give good feedback to others that do the same thing

On eBay today - spot the dodginess:

1607142077_ebay_dodgy1.jpg

1607142077_ebay_dodgy2.jpg

Dunno why you guys hate ebay so much , i think i had 3 dodgy maggits out of over 1000 transactions , i have been sus on a maybe 2 sellers and just reported them and moved along.

I am not entirely a fan of their buyer support but if you look after yourself its a decent low intensity sales portal.

I also have had problems with non - payers on E -bay . To try and deter them , I put on " DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO PAY . "

My dodgy maggits is about 3 in 50 or less....

Had another nut case wanted me to do a deal outside of E-bay . Think he lived on the Gold Coast , that explains it ! I dobbed him into E-bay , never heard any more about it .

Just put a clause in the description saying "Bidders with less than 10 positive or low feedback must contact me before bidding, if not your bid will be cancelled by me."
It's not hard.

put this clause in, it keeps these type of people from bidding on your item ;)
I also put "Non Paying Bidders Will Be Reported To EBay and Neg Feedback Left."

Never had any problems.

Latest posts