Using PayPal When Buying through Gumtree

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A great suggestion by Hippyhunter, as a lot of people may not be aware of this, and it does appear now that I was very lucky with my purchase and maybe dodged a bullet this time!

(By the way, I was going to post this in the Buy/Sell section, but seeing as it's not actually a listing I thought it should go here. Please feel free to move Mods if you think this should be posted in another part of the Forum).......

I bought my GPX 5000 over a year ago through Gumtree, using PayPal. Fortunately it was a flawless transaction for a great genuine machine at a great price.

At the time I thought I was protected by PayPal as both myself and the seller used our PayPal accounts, and the seller was able to link their Gumtree account to PayPal and use the PayPal logo in Gumtree.

It was pointed out to me today by a couple of other forum members in the QED info thread (thanks Hippyhunter & rockdev), that in fact there is no buyer protection AT ALL through PayPal for purchases made through Gumtree, even though they trumpet the fact that you can link your Gumtree account to your PayPal account.

Their actual terms and conditions/ information are as follows:-

How do I pay for my Gumtree purchases using PayPal?

To use PayPal to pay for your purchases on Gumtree:

Link your PayPal account to your Gumtree account. You'll see a green tick next to the PayPal logo on your Gumtree app once you've successfully linked your accounts.
Chat with your seller in the Gumtree app about the listing that you are interested in. In the messenger screen you can see whether the seller accepts PayPal.
Meet up with your seller and confirm the sale in person.
When you've agreed to the sale, the seller will request the payment in the Gumtree app.
You can then review the payment request information in the Gumtree app and choose your preferred payment method.
Once you've confirmed the payment, the money will appear in the seller's PayPal account.

Note: PayPal Buyer Protection does not apply to payments made through Gumtree. Before you pay, carefully inspect the item in person or confirm the service has been completed to your satisfaction. Make sure you are with the seller when you pay.

For someone who has used and trusted PayPal for literally hundreds of transactions through ebay and with suppliers in India etc. over the last 15 years or so, this came as something of a shock to me.

Thats awesome its openly available to read here now. I think 99 % of people where under the impression paypal is the same on gumtree as it was on ebay. Me included until i stumbled across the info accidently on another forum. Its pretty sneaky and a bit decietful of paypal to do that.. almost a scam.. cant trust nobody these days!! Hahahahahahaha :awful:

Would you maybee check out if theres any major revisions to paypal/ebay (possibly 2017 revisions)?
It seems a breeze for you, wheras reading terms and conditions sucks for me :zzz:
I am thinking there is something changing the game for buyers there also.
Feel free to tell me to rack off if i am being lazy :playful:

Weird when you consider Paypal, Ebay and Gumtree are all owned by the same company.

Paypal gives very limited and often a false sense of security as a buyer or as a seller. Most times things run smoothly but when things go wrong it can cost you in a big way.

A person can lodge a complaint I think up to 3 months after the transaction. Everything is fine then one day your account is locked with your funds inaccessible.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if your Paypal account is directly linked to your bank account and there is a dispute, Paypal can zap funds from your bank account without notice.

Some of these disputes can stretch out into months before being finalized.

Paypal is fine, but don't keep any money in your Paypal account, and if selling don't send goods until the funds have transferred from your Paypal account into your bank account.

Personally if selling, I'd much prefer direct deposit into my bank account and I think it's crook that Ebay can force you to accept Paypal.

madtuna said:
Weird when you consider Paypal, Ebay and Gumtree are all owned by the same company.

Paypal gives very limited and often a false sense of security as a buyer or as a seller. Most times things run smoothly but when things go wrong it can cost you in a big way.

A person can lodge a complaint I think up to 3 months after the transaction. Everything is fine then one day your account is locked with your funds inaccessible.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if your Paypal account is directly linked to your bank account and there is a dispute, Paypal can zap funds from your bank account without notice.

Paypal is fine, but don't keep any money in your Paypal account, and if selling don't send goods until the funds have transferred from your Paypal account into your bank account.

Personally if selling, I'd much prefer direct deposit into my bank account and I think it's crook that Ebay can force you to accept Paypal.
Yeah it is shifty and unethical to a certain degree.
I am even too worried to link a credit card to paypal. I will only use the visa debit card for paypal (out of fear they will steal money)(pretty lame to feel that paranoid i know)

hippyhunter said:
HippyProspecting said:
Here I am hippyhunter. Let's take this to the mud pit and wrassle it out like men ;)

Sorry off topic
Gosh, that sounded a bit gay. Im not into any funny business sorry. :lol:
What's wrong with two grown heterosexual men mud wrestling to settle a beef. Sounds like your scared it might push you into jumping the fence ;)

Sorry again. Back to the original subject

HippyProspecting said:
hippyhunter said:
HippyProspecting said:
Here I am hippyhunter. Let's take this to the mud pit and wrassle it out like men ;)

Sorry off topic
Gosh, that sounded a bit gay. Im not into any funny business sorry. :lol:
What's wrong with two grown heterosexual men mud wrestling to settle a beef. Sounds like your scared it might push you into jumping the fence ;)

Sorry again. Back to the original subject

Well ok then... just as long as thats all it is. :lol:

madtuna said:

Ebay and Gumtree have same ownership

Paypal was sold off

You will see that Ebay now offers other payment methods and is not pushing Paypal.

As I understand it, Paypal and Ebay will end their relationship in the VERY near future, and Ebay is adding buyer protection in its own right - not sure how they will back that up ? :8 :8
Along with free returns and a Membership fee for advanced support, as well as what ever else they think of.

It all happened at the same time they hunted down sales 'relationship contracts' with the likes of Coles, Big W, Target K-Mart, delivery to "Collect Here" points etc etc
I think Ebay are trying to be more like a poor version of Amazon, and Gumtree is now for Community sales clients.

As I understand it both Paypal and Ebay are losing business, so they need to re-invent.

Personally I have had a good run from both companies, and only recently had 3 issues that took a lot of time to sort, but I think that was the sellers rather than the Ebay or Paypal but have always been backed up by one or the other, its a bugger that there are people willing to take advantage of the systems to scam it, both ends of the sale and purchase.

VERY interesting to the Paypal policy for Gumtree though. :/

:)

You know greenhornetau. II do understand why gumtree paypal wouldnt have buyer protection as it is mostly free. Its seedy the way they marketed it knowing full well people would just assume its normal old ebay style paypal..

Hey, people might be able to make a facebookcoin payment on ebay soon. That would be wierd :eek:

1568960924_gt.jpg

I am very weary now purchasing stuff on the internet after being ripped off earlier in the year. Thought I was buying from a reputable dealer :fistpump: but, I got caught out buying a detector and having to go through the third degree with banks, fair trading , and finally visa to get my money back, many months of anguish :awful: . Maybe if it was through PayPal I would have gotten a refund earlier but who knows.... :argh:

That's why I have a Bank Account set up for Ebay purchases Only... I keep 5c in it and when I want to purchase through Ebay/paypal, I go to the bank and deposit 5c over the purchase price...
I would be very careful these days with Gumtree and I have been told of some horror stories of transactions taking place at your Home... People have been broken into several days after the transaction has taken place.... People need to be careful as there are scammers/thiefs/low-life's everywhere... Even Garage sales are a way these xyz's are scouting out your home or Garage for future unpleasant 'events'...

And yes Paypal has been under attack for quite awhile now... If you ever get a email from them NEVER click on the link... IT'S A SCAM.... If in doubt call paypal to verify if they have actually sent you an email... Bet my last $ it's not from them...

LW....

Latest posts