Duty free

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has successfully purchased a detector in Australia and claimed the tourist tax refund by taking it out of the country?

Heading over from nz for a week in August but not sure it's something I can do or not?

Thanks

Cheers Grubstake,

I had a look and feel confident it should all go to plan, was just hoping to hear from someone who had already tested the theory themselves.

Gixer24

That's Australian tax payers dollars your trying to scam to fund your hobby.Tourist tax come on.

If you are planning to bring the detector back into Australia you will have to declare it against your $900 duty free allowance and if over, you will be charged the gst again.

If you are planning to bring it back just make sure you declare it before you go so that it wont count towards the duty free allowance when coming back through customs

Maybe used the wrong wording to say scam it may be legal but just sounds wrong to claim a tax to fund a hobby. I understand full time miner's claiming what they can but I don't think a hobbyist should look for ways to fund their hobby in this manner.sorry if I offended you.

Each to their own, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

Thanks to those with the helpful replies too.

grubstake said:
vstrom said:
That's Australian tax payers dollars your trying to scam to fund your hobby.Tourist tax come on.
Whoa there, champ. This is NOT a scam - it's 100% legal and legit.

In fact that's my hard earned income I'm trying to save, which I do pay tax on

I thought duty free tax would only cover things that are bought here , taken on holidays international and returned back home still sealed and unused.
So if you were going to use it while away I don't know if it would work, but I'm no travel agent or customs dude.

vstrom said:
Maybe used the wrong wording to say scam it may be legal but just sounds wrong to claim a tax to fund a hobby. I understand full time miner's claiming what they can but I don't think a hobbyist should look for ways to fund their hobby in this manner.sorry if I offended you.

I think you've got the wrong end of it. The TRS scheme was developed to increase retail sales and aimed at travellers. It allows you to buy something that you take overseas (can use) and can claim the GST component back when you arrive. There's a couple of hoops to jump through to achieve this.

The detector is no different to the camera I claimed which was intended for holiday snaps. In fact any retailer who hears you mention OS holiday will quickly advise you of the fact as it is a sales pitch to infer a 10% saving.

Latest posts