DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colmaca said:
Mavric Pro

You should have a go at tripod mode. It smooths out your control inputs and fades the Gimbal movements so you have nice smooth footage when panning camera. Give it a go.

Just heard today (At the Seymour Alternative Farming Expo) from a bloke who sells drones that Victorian State and National parks are no fly zones. Not sure if this has appeared in the thread earlier.

Just as I start to research these gadgets I'm told the most part I would benefit from their use is off limits. I'll suss it out a bit more but the bloke I was speaking to said he'd rather loose a sale because his business is worth more than the sale. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of bureaucrats and their red tape.

Can anyone shed more light on this.

Doesn't surprise me RMO...have a look at the US experience and drones down into million year old geysers...

Wildlife habitat being effected, so they shut them all down...

Not necessarily the same here, but most likely the 'intent' is coming from the same place.

Also, you don't 'always' get ALL the bits & pieces after a 'HARD' landing...if you get my drift. ;)

I'm not providing my point of view, merely relating what has happened in the industry as a whole...

Wasting braincells hoping for some 'logic' in the bureaucracy.... it's just easier for them to rubber stamp everything. :lol:

Cheers

RM Outback said:
Just heard today (At the Seymour Alternative Farming Expo) from a bloke who sells drones that Victorian State and National parks are no fly zones. Not sure if this has appeared in the thread earlier.

Just as I start to research these gadgets I'm told the most part I would benefit from their use is off limits. I'll suss it out a bit more but the bloke I was speaking to said he'd rather loose a sale because his business is worth more than the sale. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of bureaucrats and their red tape.

Can anyone shed more light on this.
Looks like it is correct for parks managed by Parks Victoria, except by licensed operators with a permit.

See via the following link -
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/applications,-licences-and-permits/filming-and-photography

Specific words -
"Filming and photography with drones / UAV / RPA

Filming with unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV)/ remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) / drones is restricted in most parks managed by Parks Victoria. To obtain a permit you must be or engage a CASA licensed operator and pilot. This also applies to drones under 2kg weight."

Many other restrictions do not apply to drones less than 2kg, but this specifically mentions them.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
This also applies to drones under 2kg weight."

Many other restrictions do not apply to drones less than 2kg, but this specifically mentions them.

Rob P.

Yeah that's a surprise...you can't even toss a Blade nCPx around the camp... :(

This appears to be Vic Gov't usurping power beyond CASA...and it is CASA who 'rule' the sky's....

Might still be worth a kite to CASA for 'definitive' feedback.. :Y:

[edit]:...on second reading, it appears to only affect 'videography' (filming)... O:) ]:D

You 'may' get away with filming in State Forests though..(can't see why not, if they allow shooting :/ )

GGA

Why can a federal Aviation Rule be over turned by a State Rule. ?
With my knowledge of flight rules,
Rural 600 feet, (That is why a Drone is limited to 400 Feet to allow a safe separation.. )
Built up,
1000 feet or being able to make a safe egress in times of engine failure.
When licensed, These rules apply except in restricted notified zones.
So, A Greenie rule can over ride a Federal Ruling. ?

So State Forrest's and National Parks are Notified Restricted Zones. ?
No NOTAM's about that..

Hang on...Tathradj,...did you mean State Parks, or State Forests??...

Yeah, like i said, usurping power..... :mad:

GGA

It is an interesting question. This link is the NSW version of National Parks. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/policies/parks-drones-policy.htm

From my reading you cannot take off or land in a National Park. Makes flying over the area interesting? It is not prohibited to fly over as long as you don't take off or land????
I know of a National Park in my area which has a Radio Control Model Helicopter club inside it.

Hmmmm... it's beginning to appear like the 'usual' bureaucratic bungling we usually see.

As per the first sentence;...

..." Parks Victoria manages some of Victorias most spectacular public spaces including National Parks, State Parks, Crown Land Reserves, Port Phillip and Western Port, Yarra & Maribyrnong Rivers and a variety of Metropolitan Parks. Naturally these spaces are of great interest to film-makers and photographers from all over the world."...

This opening gamit implies these are the 'limited' areas, followed shortly after by a number of 'Gardens'...

The topic in total does not mention 'State Forests'...

I still don't see 'state' authority 'trumping' (pun not intended :8 ) Federal (of which CASA is...)???

I will have to send off an e-mail for clarification i believe... :rolleyes:

GGA

Ramjet said:
It is an interesting question. This link is the NSW version of National Parks. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/policies/parks-drones-policy.htm

From my reading you cannot take off or land in a National Park. Makes flying over the area interesting? It is not prohibited to fly over as long as you don't take off or land????
I know of a National Park in my area which has a Radio Control Model Helicopter club inside it.

I believe, as with solid objects, like houses & buildings, that that would also include the airspace above ground as well...

You may have an unscheduled 'landing'....and that's not allowed. :D

Read the CAR's and CAO's and you will get a brief idea of how regulated aviation is ......................... you will probably need a wheel barrow to carry them home.
I once asked why so many regulations and rules and was simply told "they have to cater for the lowest common denominator" He then went on to say what is common sense to many to another is not.

Following on from my reading of the NSW link supplied by Ramjet the interesting point is that the NSW sated position is that they do not control aircraft above the park as stated in the following extract. Aircraft are governed by CASA.

"Visitors wishing to use drones in parks must obtain consent from the park manager.

Drones are aircraft and are covered by civil aviation laws. NPWS does not control aircraft above parks, but can regulate certain behaviour in parks. It is up to the operator of a drone to ensure that it is airworthy, and is flown safely and in accordance with Commonwealth aviation regulations."

So the NSW position should also apply in other states, meaning can fly over them, but the parks service can control takeoff and landing as simply put by Ramjet. Still a pain in the butt.

Unfortunately, the Police would know even less, on arrival from a 'nuisance' call...and likely move you on regardless..

the softest, and least p/work option for, essentially, 'civil' matters... it's easier to put a stop to something, than sit and discuss 'semantics' while the clock ticks...

The same was experienced in the US with Laws lagging Technology, and many 'suits' filed, and fought on 'semantics' of existing documents..

The move is to get folks into community based organisations (re; 'clubs') and be affiliated through them for 'behavior'. You also benefit from 'club Insurance'....worth thinking about, but i recognize the (video/pic) guys get bored of the same club field every week...

Thanks for the replies everyone :Y:. Did a gear box on the wife's cruiser coming home from the expo yesterday :mad: so the drone is on the back burner for now.

I'll get my head around the info supplied, have already glanced at CASSA info still plenty more research to be done.

Once I get one there will be other uses I need to research like over water use. The intention is for my boys to drop bait out past the breakers while fishing.

Cheers RMO.

That would be typical rhetorical grass roots stuff.
Can fly over them but can not land or take off Hence,
Protecting the small patch of grass in use.
A lot less than the vehicle's that drive over it to get from A to B.
Wonder what would happen if you took off and landed on a formed
named road right beside a National Park. LOL
Or, Flew over a Park at 1000 feet with a high resolution camera strapped to
your Cessna.

Latest posts